• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second pair of jeans after APC New Standards?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About two years ago, I picked up Mauro's phone number and address and went to Denim Bar's DC store to meet the man himself. After getting a lecture on how jeans should look (complete with sketches to demonstrate ratio and proportion, I kid you not) trying on various ideas, he handed me a pair of New Standards for a hundred bucks, right before the prices went up.

The fit is really great on me because of my short, stocky Asian frame. Unlike taller and thinner people here, the mid-rise, boxy cut, and slight taper are just perfect for me. (At the time, so was the price.) For example, Mauro thought Nudies RRs would work, but they just looked off.

I'm thinking about placing a next order to Mauro one of these days, perhaps not something dry as I can't wear jeans to work and one dry pair is enough for now. Any suggestions as to what fit like New Standards, and what wash?

One funny thing about my Denim Bar experience was that a number of washes just couldn't work on me because what were supposed to be the knees ended up on my ankles, practically.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking you may have to get earnest sewn fultons, 1 wash. they're dark denim with no distressing and they fit asians pretty well (me!).

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with the fultons. I am not a particularly tall dude and they work really well for my frame.

ps

Will one wash fultons still fade and distress as if they were dry denim? I am kind of unclear about this. Sorry it may sound kind of dumb question.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are we talking about the ES line dry? the one numbered 50? this one?

http://www.denimbaronline.com/store/...ARTMENT_ID=38#

i have it. it'll fade, i think. mine is starting to show some fading, or at least, i think it is. it seems to be slow going.

i don't wear it too often (probably 20-30 times now) and have washed it two or three times (typically on the gentle cycle with woolite). i'm not particularly hardcore about this fading thing.

length is about 34 or so. fine for me, since i'm 6'1". if you're short, you'll probably want to hem them.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why do you think one pair of dry denim is enough? Personally, after discovering dry denim, I can't go back to pre-washed. I mean, it's not like you have to treat them like any other jeans, just wear them whenever you want to--it's not like you're obligated to wear them.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One pair isn't but I'm not quite done with my current pair of NS. Maybe I'd want something different for the next one.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
Out of curiosity, why do you think one pair of dry denim is enough? Personally, after discovering dry denim, I can't go back to pre-washed. I mean, it's not like you have to treat them like any other jeans, just wear them whenever you want to--it's not like you're obligated to wear them.

hmmm, i think both dry and pre-washed both have their places. i have a number of dry and one-wash pieces, and i still go back and wear the distressed stuff.

modual

Reaction score
I would suggest a nudie average joe sized down one. I noticed you said the reg ralf looked off on you. Was that because of the bootcut or... ??

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine are Fulton .53 lot 504.

Can anyone tell me if these are going to fade at all?

Thanks

Confucius

Reaction score
Do Fultons run true to size? Like if I'm normally a 34 would I get a 34 or size down/up?

Denimbar have such a great price on them at the moment.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confucius
Do Fultons run true to size? Like if I'm normally a 34 would I get a 34 or size down/up?

The Fulton Line Dry (50)? True to size.

Earnest Sewn is generally true to size. I wear 36 in my dress pants, and all 5 of my Earnest Sewns are 36.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confucius

In my experience, they run true to size. No need to size up/down.

Brian SD

Reaction score
No offense to the OP, but we have a thread where these questions should be asked (this as well as the Adidas thread), and to be quite honest, I feel like this exact question and an equally identical response has appeared multiple times.

Confucius

Reaction score
Thanks guys
smile.gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry Brian. Don't browse Streetwear as much and I didn't find the threads you mentioned when I searched before posting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics