• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
L'aP Bois Farine for me today.

A wonderful fall/winter scent, dry and woody yet "doughy" in a good way. It's very unique and unlike any other scent.... it manages to be extremely smooth and soft with almost no sweetness or spiciness.Then again it's not flat or what might be considered a "skin" scent. Imagine a happy aerosol of champagne and cake dough.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been wearing a lot of Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens over the past three weeks - it is the quintessential Christmas Season fragrance. Also, because my father and grandfather always got it as a gift during the early to mid 1980s, I wear Giorgio for Men during this time of year. I think I will wear Safran Troublant tomorrow for Christmas Eve, though, since we are having a big dinner in the evening.

What candles do you guys like to burn during this time of year? I always get an Annick Goutal Noel candle around Thanksgiving and burn it over the ensuing weeks. I also got a Cire Trudon Gabriel candle recently, which is perfect for this time of year, with its short, dark, and cold days.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hooked on Arrej le Dore's Siberian Summer, and have been wearing it almost daily for the last couple months.

Just got a Narguile candle from Dyptique. Would love to try Cire Trudon, and also the Hotel Costes candle, recently recommended to me by one of the owners of Luckyscent.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A good Christmas scent must be warm and spicy, but with a hint of sweetness. Incense, gingerbread, some woods and maybe a soft floral.

My all-time favorite is Guerlain's Winter Delice, but this has been discontinued for ages and I've long since used my bottle. So, instead I'll do L'aP's Passage d'Enfer, a wonderful incense scent with soft florals, stone, and a name that reminds us how annoying some of our relatives can be when they visit during the holidays. ;)

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Geranium Pour Monsieur and have been really enjoying it. It feels like a Ralph Lauren spring/summer ad come to life. Also picked up a few candles because they were deeply discounted. Jurassic Flower which I can’t really recommend and Notre Dame which is wonderful.

You guys have been mentioning L’Artisan and I have to say I’d like to sample more, especially Giacobetti’s work. Also tempted by some of their candles on discount sites at the moment.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Geranium Pour Monsieur and have been really enjoying it. It feels like a Ralph Lauren spring/summer ad come to life. Also picked up a few candles because they were deeply discounted. Jurassic Flower which I can’t really recommend and Notre Dame which is wonderful.
Do you find that it has an irritating medicinal quality to it? I actually like the scent, but something about it is just bothersome and it doesn't really let up. FM fragrances have this irritating note underneath everything and I just don't know what it is.

karmaguy

Reaction score
Do you guys have any reqs on some oud scents for a beginner? i browsed some basenotes threads and the only thing i came out being interested in was Montale's Aoud Night. Figured you guys might have some interesting/good thoughts...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any reqs on some oud scents for a beginner? i browsed some basenotes threads and the only thing i came out being interested in was Montale's Aoud Night. Figured you guys might have some interesting/good thoughts...
TFPB Oud Wood is a good, if safe, choice. I prefer Tobacco Oud, which I am wearing today.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There are so many out now, thanks to the new synthetic Oud note available. I agree with the above and second maybe trying some of the Tom Ford Ouds first. They are nice and smooth, relatively easy to find, and give you the Oud punch without the dark, wild Funk of some of them.

Montale is amazing. ANY of the Aouds are great and worth a sniff. I love Black Aoud, White Aoud, Red Aoud, Leather Aoud, Steam Aoud, even Aoud Queen Rose (perhaps my favorite). Though I must admit it's been 10 years since I've bought new Montale and don't know about reformulations or recent batches.

If money is no object, there is Frederic Malle The Night, or even Creed's Royal Oud (which is actually nice and dry, without being too dark and oily).

PS my SOTD today is Diptyque Olene. It's a wonderful floral that I just like to sniff. Reminds me of a modern non-lily Diorissimo (if that makes any sense). An animalic floral that smells very natural without being too fleeting or feminine.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sotd: ambre russe - parfum d'empire

Great honey amber scent.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a discussion around this question still warrants making the distinction between oud-like frags and notes based on the ubiquitous designer synthetics, vs. the very different, vastly more complex (and interesting) qualities of real oud oils distilled through time-consuming processes.

The scarcity, time, cost, skill, labor involved in the sourcing, distillation, and refinement of wild agar wood essentially preclude any designer house from being able to utilize real wild oud in quantities needed for reliable mass production.

I've smelled the highly lauded MFK oud scents, some Montales, Fords, etc and all come off as synthetic niceties with a lot of marketing.

Rather than spend that kind of money on scents with 70%-85% alcohol and 15%-30% aroma chemicals, natural isolates and absolutes, I personally would rather put those dollars into houses like Ensar, Areej le Dore, Sultan Pasha, to name a few.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting into cologne. I quite like trumpers lime scents if you're familiar with it. Maybe a good, bay rum type scent?

Where should I go next?

Nikos

Reaction score
There should be many options if you like citrus colognes. I think you would like Aqua di Parma. Also maybe Tom Ford Neroli Portofino. I have read good things about Monsieur Balmain, but haven't tried it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads