• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Easter season calls for Avignon.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday out for an early dinner with Mrs GF
Ford....Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. I've forgotten how much I enjoy wearing this. Strong, solid & masculine.

Saturday Orto Parisi Boccanera EDP picked up a sample of this to be honest not impressed. It strikes me as being too sweet. I tried the Stercus EDP more my style.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday I wore Le Labo The Noir 29 - a very potent creamy, smoky, and figgy fragrance, but not so much tea, which should b no surprise to those who've smelled at least five Le Labo fragrances.

I also wore some vintage (metal cylinder stem) Dior Homme last night and was once again very appreciative of its quality in both composition and quality of ingredients. Now, on Fragrantica and in discussions on Basenotes, there is supposed to be a heavy leather component, but I never have noticed it. I wonder if it's a sleight of hand by the perfumer.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing the new Tom Ford Velvet Orchid Lumière. It's very similar to the original Velvet Orchid, which is my favorite of the Ford orchid scents (Black Orchid, Black Orchid Voile de Fleurs, Orchid Soleil). It's a rich, tangy honeyed floral with just a bit of a boozy vibe.

Also been trying the Zoologist scents, since my gf is a big fan of them. Wore Civet today as my pre-shower scent. There's a whole lot going on in this one. There's definitely a dirty, civety facet, but it's also got strong warm spicy notes--cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg maybe--and a pleasant nutty sweetness that I'm guessing is heliotrope. On the whole, it has a very old-fashioned masculine vibe.

Concerning Zoologist, I kind of liked Bat when I smelled it. I love the concept of this house, especially with Bat because I remember as a kid going to caves up in the Ozark Mountains and loving the smell of them because of the bat guano. It always was so intriguing. Zoologist also has put their fragrances in very nice bottles.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I wore Ormond Jayne Black Gold - a very intriguing and high-quality fragrance with lots of juniper and rose.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trumper's Ajaccio Violets for me today. Slightly sweet but very soapy and powdery. Glad I picked up a sample rather than committing to a full bottle.

rossoz

Reaction score
L,

My Bleu de Chanel EDT is empty. Please recommend something similar to replace it.

Thanks

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I am wearing Diptyque Oud Palao. This is such a good fragrance, with its dark and dusty rose and well-blended synthetic oud. It may be natural oud, but I doubt it and it doesn't make a difference anyway because of the excellent integration of components.

I wore Annick Goutal Vetiver last night. This is one of the best and certainly unique vetivers available (I cannot vouch for the current formula and bottle - I own an older one) with the shocking-to-me blast of sea salt, which adds an angularity to the very warm and rich vetiver at the heart, which is then in the dry-down supported by a beautiful and rich tobacco note. I mean, that's really how fragrances should be composed.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
l'air du desert marocain radiating exotic spice, warmth and olafactory pleasure on a chilly Autumn day.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timbuktu is becoming my daily fragrance as the weather starts to heat up here. Even with a few sprays it seems to die down to a skin scent rather quick but my skin tends to chew up most things.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Abdes Palermo today. I was visiting the oldest coffee roasting master in Singapore (Tiong He, in Queenstown, around for over 40 years) and it felt appropriate. I hadn't worn it in months and it was appropriate; the vanilla seems to have matured a bit, it is more complex, less green bean, without turning into cloying sweetness, and to me this is still mainly a vanilla scent. I think it's coming back into the rotation (Milano Caffe is too spicy most of the time).

As for Tiong He: walked away with Guji G1 from Ethiopia (literally off the roaster), Sigri AA from PNG and Finca Cerro Azul from Honduras. Three completely different styles. All three perfectly roasted today or yesterday, and a good 30% cheaper than the hipster competition. Much recommended. I'm sorry Nylon, but you hiked your prices by $5 a pack without telling me...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Past few days I finished off a sample of Hermessence Vanille Galante, which I found rather meh. It's sort of a fruity soft leathery vanilla. Did have some decent lasting power. I found it so inoffensive it doesn't warrant any more my attention. Plus the sample's finished.

I've also been wearing (with the intent to finish) a little 5ml of Mugler's Pure Malt. I'd say it's fairly nice, rather potent in terms of longevity and projection, but I find it a little simple, and it tends to have a bit of a synthetic 'buzz' texture. I still think the original is the best of the whole line. I've got decant of Pure Coffee which I'll move onto next but again I suspect I have better options for coffee scents so will likely finish it and move on.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trumper's Ajaccio Violets for me today. Slightly sweet but very soapy and powdery. Glad I picked up a sample rather than committing to a full bottle.

I have to say violet fragrances can be some of the most disappointing in my experience - I love it when I get the leaves or flowers in some formula, like in Dans tes Bras or Iris 39 or Cuir Pleine Fleur, but when violet is part of the name of the fragrance it usually ends up being a synthetic, powdery, or confectionary mess.

Today it was in the high 70s here in San Francisco, so I wore Bruno Fazzolari Five. Such a great (I seriously mean "great" in this context) version of an eau de cologne, with juicy citrus and petitgrain. But no neroli like what you get in a classic like Chanel's Eau de Cologne, which is fine because it is even cleaner, less . . . opulent? And Bruno's ubiquitous base is like sniffing a wet river rock, with minerals and salts leached out for your appreciation - this base lends itself perfectly to such a fresh concoction and adds the backbone to the fragrance while not relying upon the slight earth tone of oak moss, this keeping the fragrance as fresh as possible throughout its evolution.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I wore a shitload of vintage Shalimar extrait, which has changed everything about what I think of vanilla.

Today I am wearing Chanel No 19 extrait, which is perfect for a cool spring day. This fragrance could be classified as a galbanum fragrance, but it could just as easily be classified as a vetiver or a study in orris.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads