• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sausages234 still trading?

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
He aint letting go of those cheap, Ill tell you that right now. They are stunning. He sold the Chapels in lizard for 3.3k IIRC

How did ja know that? You stalking poor Ascot?
3.3k for some ******* lizard even for Lobbs is mental.
Thats croc prices. Even if its made from that rare New Guinea lizard which is the longest lizard known to man (longer than komodo) which has yellow spots and lines on its back on top of black skin. Ishi will get onboard that I think.

Anyway, the Becketts should be seconds.
Think he may have gotten it from Lobb factory probably for around 1 grand sterling or less.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
1. Er, your medical costs due to your OSD? I think I have OSD too but due to the lack of potential pickings, its been curtailed a bit.

2. Proxying is just a low cost way for you to make money. You do not come up with the dough but your profits would correspondingly be lower. The truth is, if you know what model of shoes will sell and buy the right sizes, you are set. All those traditional black or brown wingtips. All the Lobb Prestiges and CJ handgrades etc.

3. Selling online is time-consuming, especially if you wish to offer top quality service like me.

You need to photograph the damn thing and even a top notch digital camera may not help you much.
You need to list out the damn thing in detail, down to its flaws.
You need to reply to countless of lame questions, some lamer than the others, like how to maintain the EG shoes. How the fook should I know?
You need to pack the damn thing.
You need to think whether to insure it and for how much.
You need to deal with constant queries on 'when will I get me shoes?' or 'you fooking cheat, where is my money!'
You need to deal with the aggravation of paypal and shitbay. Shitbay have something about not selling too many stuff within a month and of course, there's their commission.

If you wish to sell 2 to 3 shoes a week, unless you are on the dole, its gonna take up alot of your spare time I tell you.

4. I will list on both shitbay and BS. BS is free anyway.
Sometimes shitbay can fetch you a very handsome price.

5. Please commence being a reseller. I can hear the siren call of a few Lobbs and EG for me.

+1
to expand on the ebay thing, fees are a real killer

Lets say you sell a shoe for $1200, final value fees on that is going to amount to $95.48 in ebay final value fees. On top of that you have paypal fees, (the more volume the lower the trans fees) but lets assume $.3 + 2.8% it's still $33.9, add a few bucks for a listing fee with several pictures, plus you may have to re-list for several months before you sell one, if it cost you $3 to list each item for a month, having 10 shoes, thats 30$ per month.

Then you need to buy packaging materials, tape, boxes, something to protect it in transit, then shipping costs. Whether you choose to offer free shipping, or pass the costs to the customer. Then you will have a bunch of international customers ask you if you ship to their country. Add on the cost of shipping insurance. There's risk of theft (meaning more that someone lost their cc and someone used it to buy from you then charge backed or something like that), lost in transit etc.

Then you also take on the risk of holding inventory you can't sell. they only become worth less and less overtime

Then add everyone else on the list of things.

Now i'm not saying you can't make a bit of money, you actually can, and if you work hard at it it's actually a very great opportunity. Just letting you know it does take a lot of work and time before you embark on your journey.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
Mmm, anyway I am awaiting countbaron's reply, I hope he will get me the croc Becketts Ascots have been trying to let go. But aint no way I am spending 7.5 grand in sterling for that!!

redface.gif
I normally don't even like skins but those are super nice

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
... ah sausages234... brings me back to the good ol' aaac/styleforvm days, when I ordered and told my wife I got shoes from ebay from someone named sausages.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
+1
to expand on the ebay thing, fees are a real killer

Lets say you sell a shoe for $1200, final value fees on that is going to amount to $95.48 in ebay final value fees. On top of that you have paypal fees, (the more volume the lower the trans fees) but lets assume $.3 + 2.8% it's still $33.9, add a few bucks for a listing fee with several pictures, plus you may have to re-list for several months before you sell one, if it cost you $3 to list each item for a month, having 10 shoes, thats 30$ per month.

Then you need to buy packaging materials, tape, boxes, something to protect it in transit, then shipping costs. Whether you choose to offer free shipping, or pass the costs to the customer. Then you will have a bunch of international customers ask you if you ship to their country. Add on the cost of shipping insurance. There's risk of theft (meaning more that someone lost their cc and someone used it to buy from you then charge backed or something like that), lost in transit etc.

Then you also take on the risk of holding inventory you can't sell. they only become worth less and less overtime

Then add everyone else on the list of things.

Now i'm not saying you can't make a bit of money, you actually can, and if you work hard at it it's actually a very great opportunity. Just letting you know it does take a lot of work and time before you embark on your journey.

Thanks for elaborating on my greatness and great points.

1. One way of dealing with it, is to cut out ebay and just do a paypal transaction between buyer and seller. Some sellers even asked me to do a money order. I said no.

2. Packaging materials? I just absorb it. I ship with the original shoe box, wrapped with newspaper and wrapping paper. How much would the material and my time cost? I can insert an additional $10 but fuhgetabout it!

3. Free shipping is a bad idea unless you live in say UK and ship in UK. Otherwise, no free shipping and if the buyer wants it to be insured for 2,000, he pays for it.

Another point is shipping to countries with 'bad' rep like Russia and Italy. Did it and no problems for me thankfully. But with their rep, I am at tetherhooks till the buyer receives it.

5. As for inventory, well, it depends really. If you get popular models in popular sizes and you are not asking to make 100% profit, it will move.

If I buy from Northampton today and sell with a $50 markup, it will all be gone in less than a day. I think if its with a $100 markup, it will still move.

I dont think shoes will be worth less overtime, unless one stores in a damp basement, and it gets mouldy. Isnt' Lobb vintage 2007 selling at great prices still?

countbaron

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info

I have not had the time to absorb it all since I have a time consuming job - well I am reading it now- but I must announce that today I bought the 1st pair of shoes with the intention of selling them. Hurrah

To be safe I bought something that fits me and I would be pretty happy with anyway-so there is really nothing to loose. I will probably buy another pair over the weekend and then I will set up shop

Personally I think that people in SF are loosing out on great shoes that are not the good old Northampton shoes. I love my Bally Scribes and great deals can be had on Santoni Limited Editions out of Bicester but it seems you need to be with the programme if you want to sell fast.

I guess this is me thinking as a customer and not as a seller- hopefully that attitude will subside as I start selling :)

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countbaron
Thanks for all the info

I have not had the time to absorb it all since I have a time consuming job - well I am reading it now- but I must announce that today I bought the 1st pair of shoes with the intention of selling them. Hurrah

To be safe I bought something that fits me and I would be pretty happy with anyway-so there is really nothing to loose. I will probably buy another pair over the weekend and then I will set up shop
Personally I think that people in SF are loosing out on great shoes that are not the good old Northampton shoes. I love my Bally Scribes and great deals can be had on Santoni Limited Editions out of Bicester but it seems you need to be with the programme if you want to sell fast.

I guess this is me thinking as a customer and not as a seller- hopefully that attitude will subside as I start selling :)

Just a heads up, this is a good way to limit the money you may make - you'll end up wanting to keep everything you "plan" to sell!

countbaron

Reaction score
Theyare

Believe me the same thought/risk has occurred to me, but since this is my first step I am willing to take the 'risk'. Baby steps first

Buying shoes that will not fit me is the next bridge to cross and it will be painful.

I guess it is all part of the 'transition'-i.e. going from buyer to reseller

(This whole thing is starting to look like I am addicted to drugs and so I am going to start dealing to sustain my addiction - while it is not in good taste if you think about it... yikes)

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With eBay, don't forget the possibility the buyer will fraud you. EBay is heavily weighted to buyers now.

Even here there are risks. There are fewer buyers looking to rip you off, or so I'd like to think, but things can still go wrong. The item might have a defect you didn't notice, or something might happen in transit.

I've pretty much given up on selling, and still have a bunch of stuff I need to clear out. My advice would be to go slow and sell as you buy. Don't let it build up on you.

countbaron

Reaction score
Doc

forgive my ignorance concerning these matters-which is vast- but in what way is a seller at risk when using ebay? From my cursory reading of the rules you get paid before you ship the item- so i assume the issue is what happens if the buyer complains after paying, e.g i never got it, it is not what it said in the box, etc etc

so

Q1: what are the rules of the game in those cases in what concerns ebay?

Q2: how would that differ if it was processed via SF?

in the end i guess it is always the same old problem: markets and trust- to widen your market you need to widen your trust blancket but that has costs due to free-riders

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads