• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial standards at an Australian wedding - from our own correspondent

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
Just received an email from my father who is in Oz for a family wedding

"Wedding has come and gone, somewhat sadly my £45 quid suit made me the best dressed attendee, also got best shirt and tie award from very drunken groomsmen - when I flashed the socks it may have been a step too far."
He was wearing a plastic suit of generically innofensive styling from Matalan as he intended to wear once and dump it to save luggage allowance on the way home. With a few basic tweaks by my talented mother, it looked fine for a one off, although obviously I couldn't condone the behaviour. Nor could I comment on the accesories, though I imagine they would not have been...subtle.

The family already thought he was TehGhey from his last visit where he wandered in vain around the suburbs searching for a decent cup of coffee wearing pink polo and carrying a manbag. He plays up to it now...

If that was the zenith, I dread to think what the rest looked like. Can't wait to see the photos. Anyone care to comment on/provide evidence of current standard for middle class Sydney nuptials? Is it full on Jersey Shore?

Luddite

Reaction score
Strange that he should find a decent cup of coffee so hard to find. Melbourne and Sydney both usually do coffee pretty well.

Oh. Sorry. Were you talking about clothes?

Australians mostly don't talk about clothes.

tone76

Reaction score
As a rule, Australian men can't dress for ****.

I spent the last week in Melbourne, the alleged style capital of Australia. Wall to wall ill fitting suits and bicycle toe shoes.
ffffuuuu.gif
I only saw ONE person in Melbourne wearing a pocket square, and that was the dude staring back at me in the mirror in my hotel room. Very disappointing.

Tano

Reaction score
The problem is our range is very limited and the cheap Chinese **** sells for more than the good stuff in other countries.. Eg fused Chinese suits start at 600 at dept stores, 90 for cheap ass chinese shirts.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a place where we have terms like:
marfs, manpurse, manbag etc.

Where talking about clothes and wear scarves make you teh ****.
Grooming is teh ****.
Wearing pink is teh ****.
Not binge drinking is teh ****.
Wearing pocket square is teh ****.
Loake L1s cost $275+

But watching 36 men in tight tank tops and short shorts grabbing each other is apparantly not teh ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads