• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think he said that one reason was that for heavy cloth such as overcoating or thick tweed, the cloth had so much body that the lapel would maintain a good roll even with a machined canvas, whereas for lighter cloth, you need the hand-stitching to build in the shape.

There were some other reasons, but I don't remember them.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
FWIW, I visited the Poole workrooms in the basement of 11 SR in 2007 and I saw the pad-stitching machine, but also a lot of tailors doing it by hand. I asked Angus Cundy why they did both, and he said that coatmakers did one or the other for various garments, depending on certain factors (which I did not really understand).

Perhaps Pooles uses the pad-stitching machine for clients whom they don't like as much as others.

- B

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Perhaps Pooles uses the pad-stitching machine for clients whom they don't like as much as others.

- B

This last one had machine padding, a pre-fab shoulder pad and a synthetic chest piece. Somebody must have been rather unpleasant......

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think he said that one reason was that for heavy cloth such as overcoating or thick tweed, the cloth had so much body that the lapel would maintain a good roll even with a machined canvas, whereas for lighter cloth, you need the hand-stitching to build in the shape.

There were some other reasons, but I don't remember them.

Neither of jefferyd's samples seem to be overcoating or a thick tweed, but both have machine padded lapels and collar.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
This last one had machine padding, a pre-fab shoulder pad and a synthetic chest piece. Somebody must have been rather unpleasant......

A miner from the Outback, maybe?

confused.gif

- B

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Neither of jefferyd's samples seem to be overcoating or a thick tweed, but both have machine padded lapels and collar.

- B

Both are what I would consider thick enough to merit the use of the machine. But then, I used to think 10 z was a heavyweight.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Both are what I would consider thick enough to merit the use of the machine. But then, I used to think 10 z was a heavyweight.

By "merit," do you mean that handpadding would offer no observable advantage of effect?

If so, does Kiton just have more sophisticated machines for padding the lighter fabrics that they use?

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Allow me the honour.
Stay away from my closet, not just because of whom you might find in there.

I once gave my cutter a piece of Holland & Sherry Target apologizing for any fur left from when the RJ cat had slept on it. He seemed amused at the time.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By "merit," do you mean that handpadding would offer no observable advantage of effect? - B
Yes. When the weight and hand of the canvas is fairly evenly matched to the cloth, there is a distinct advantage to hand padding. When the cloth outweighs or overpowers the canvas, the benefits are negligible at best. Examples of hand-padded versus machine-padded in similar (lightish) weights. Hand
2851527658_7ec6e4a1c6.jpg
Machine
2851412334_0ff957d929_o.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotoriousMarquis
I feel like that would actually make a lot of sense because a bespoke handmade suit isn't something you need to stretch or move based on the width of your shoulders because it's your size, whereas an off the rack, machine sewn suit is something that people of a roughly similar size but with slight differences here and there would have to wear, so the stretch is necessary to accommodate many people's varying, albeit similar, bodies. No?

Might the notorious Marquis de Custine, who I greatly admire, be the inspiration for your avatar?

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/r/image...ian-ark-3.jpg- film portrayal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquis_de_Custine

tailorgod

Reaction score
I have an old tailoring manual where they say that you don't have to pad stitch the lapels when using heavy cloth.
But back in the days "heavy" meant a weight beyond even Sator's wildest dreams.

Jeffery, the cloth in your pad stitching video was relatively heavy (around 400gr.) for modern standards and you did wider stitches. Does that mean you'd do more rows of closer stitches if the cloth had like 8 oz. or less?

There is a difference between a regular blindstitch machine and a special pad stitch machine. Both do the same stitch, but the latter has a narrow horn, which allows the tailor to bend the lapel into shape. If the machine is well set it gives quite a nice result. But I agree, using it on very light weight fabrics might be difficult.
I had a picture somewhere of a coat in progress by Des Merrion, where he made just about 20 stitches on the lapel. Heavy cloth, light weight canvas (I think it was a 200gr. camel hair), but nice roll.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have seen some that are almost similsr ebecaus fashit macines brought endsieg toi ti.ds.
ahhh. ohhh. bahhhhhs. hans expl,oedsedsdes
editr: molzart was a faschon with strings quintess too

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads