• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saphir MEDAILLE D'OR vs. La Cordonnerie Anglaise vs. Burgol

Very British

Reaction score
Hello,

I am really interested to keep my shoes in a good condition. There are a lot of products out there which are great for a good shoe care for handmade John Lobb, Edward Green or Crockett and Jones.

In my opinion these three products are the best of the best. What do you think about them? How would you rank them and why?

I am really interested in any kind of statement and information about these products.
smile.gif

Furthermore I am interested about the shoe wax of these manufacturers. Would you rank the wax the same way as the cream?

Kind regards

Very British

arglist

Reaction score
Hi

I have never used La Cordonnerie. I used to use Burgol wax (never the cream because at that time it did not exist yet) but after a test with SMDO wax I switched. It's a lot easier to do glaçage with SMDO for me.

I like the the SMDO creams but use them rarely. I condition with Lexol and use wax for shine.

Look at GlenKaren products.. I tested the high shine polish, it's fantastic.

Last edited:

CalzolaiFeF

Reaction score
Saphir Medaille d'Or

Cream
Really nice cream, very nourishing and polishes good. But that fashion, squared container it's a nightmare: you cannot reach the angles of the pot with a brush or a cloth, so you will waste quite a lot of product.

Wax
I found it's almost like the Cordonnerie Anglaise one, only more expensive.

La Cordonnerie Anglaise

Wax
It was the first high quality wax I used in my life. I still think it's the best for mirror shine.

Burgol

Cream
The Burgol cream it's the most pigmented stuff I've ever used. It restores color in a whim and polishes to a really good satin-line shine. For me it's the best cream on the market, period.

Wax
I've had quite a mixed experience with Burgol wax. It's really expensive and for what I've seen it's not so easy to use to achieve a mirror shine: it has a tendence to clog the pores and reacts better to a brush than to water and cloth. Their Golfwachs is a really wonderful waterproofing wax, but it's not made for mirror shine.

bsarosi

Reaction score
I've been searching for La Cordonnerie Anglaise. Are there any SF affiliates who sell their products?

Very British

Reaction score
Thank you Colzolai FeF for your answer.
smile.gif

Have you also experiences with the cream of La Cordonnerie Anglaise?
Are there any differences to the Cream of Saphir Medaille d'Or?

CalzolaiFeF

Reaction score
Yes, I tried the Cordonnerie cream. It's very very similar to the Saphir MdO, only problem is a not so long shelf life.

Another very good wax is the Famaco "Abbaye", the Abbey paste. The legend says that was the secret recipe of some monks in the Abbey where King Arthur was buried with the Holy Grail in his hand and the Ark of the Covenant as a pillow yadda yadda yadda, but it's a phenomenal product. The yellow one should be the one that Olga Berluti used on his creations, or so the vendor said to me years ago.

Very British

Reaction score
Yes I know. The Famaco Abbey is a great product.
biggrin.gif

Do you know the Crockett and Jones shoe wax polish? I think it is a rebrandet product but I dont't know the manufacturer.

Does anyone know if edward green and john lobb have their own branded products and where I can buy these house brands online?

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey after doing some searching and asking some contacts, I just had it confirmed that La Cordonnerie Anglaise and Saphir polishes and the renovator are the same products in different packaging. They are both owned by Avel too.

Hope that helps a bit.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
exactly what I was able to find out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads