• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saphir cream and wax advice needed

unprocessed

Reaction score
I’m about to pull the trigger on a pair of burgundy TLB (leaning towards the darker plum option on the left unless others think my desired color would be easier to achieve with the right). I’m seeking advice on how I can get the color to look more like the G&G vintage rioja (pics attached). My thought was to use burgundy cream as the base and mix in some heremes red cream to give it it some red depth, while using black cream and black Pate de lux on the toes.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• ECD8F586-D361-43C9-913B-E6449C4FD64F.png
    ECD8F586-D361-43C9-913B-E6449C4FD64F.png
    726.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 3C8F725E-AAA4-4B00-B29F-0732E9719CF4.jpeg
    3C8F725E-AAA4-4B00-B29F-0732E9719CF4.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 456
  • A5FE42F8-8C2D-4223-9350-3C6CBBB25992.jpeg
    A5FE42F8-8C2D-4223-9350-3C6CBBB25992.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 456

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have various Saphir products, including the Hermes Red you mention, but my experience is that depending on the tanning and coloring of the shoe, sometimes the colors you want to match just don't get absorbed by the leather. Hermes Red is quite a vivid color, but just does not get absorbed into the shoes`s leather - I've tried it on my GG St James II, but you would not even notice a difference, and gets taken off with the next cream and polish.As you mention, you may just have to mix many colors, including black, to get the desired patina you want, but my experience is this may need 100`s of coats, especially on such a dark color. I'm afraid the Hermes red won't stand up to being absorbed on leather. Black may be your best choice to antique that patina that exists. Try it out though, and let us know....but if you are looking to purchase a new color for your shoe, you maybe disappointed...

unprocessed

Reaction score
I have various Saphir products, including the Hermes Red you mention, but my experience is that depending on the tanning and coloring of the shoe, sometimes the colors you want to match just don't get absorbed by the leather. Hermes Red is quite a vivid color, but just does not get absorbed into the shoes`s leather - I've tried it on my GG St James II, but you would not even notice a difference, and gets taken off with the next cream and polish.As you mention, you may just have to mix many colors, including black, to get the desired patina you want, but my experience is this may need 100`s of coats, especially on such a dark color. I'm afraid the Hermes red won't stand up to being absorbed on leather. Black may be your best choice to antique that patina that exists. Try it out though, and let us know....but if you are looking to purchase a new color for your shoe, you maybe disappointed...

Thanks for the advice. I actually purchased the Hermes Red for a new pair of AM I have that are pretty similar to the G&G cherry color. Not looking to darken that pair and maintain the red so hoping it will be good for that.

I’m wondering if it would be easier to get my desired end color and depth of I go with the shoe on the left that is lighter and more red as opposed to the left color which is more of a purple burgundy.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought both the Saphir Smooth Leather mink oil and the Saphir Creme Universelle. Any ideas when to use one versus the other. Seems that I can use these interchangeably on my no so fine leather products like brief cases, belts, etc.

Goofy

Reaction score
I bought both the Saphir Smooth Leather mink oil and the Saphir Creme Universelle. Any ideas when to use one versus the other. Seems that I can use these interchangeably on my no so fine leather products like brief cases, belts, etc.
The Mink oil is for nourishing and conditioning extremely dry leather. It’s richer and has higher concentration of oil, whereas the universal cream is neutral and less intense. One is a cream whereas the other is a lotion. The lotion can be more easily applied to larger surfaces and is therefore more suitable for treating larger objects.

Last edited:

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I actually purchased the Hermes Red for a new pair of AM I have that are pretty similar to the G&G cherry color. Not looking to darken that pair and maintain the red so hoping it will be good for that.

I’m wondering if it would be easier to get my desired end color and depth of I go with the shoe on the left that is lighter and more red as opposed to the left color which is more of a purple burgundy.

I have been using Hermes red on my Caffe Tostato shoes and it adds a subtle but noticeable tint. Hermes red is very red though with very little brown in it so I doubt it would darken anything.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to mix 4 parts burgundy with 1 part black. Mix well in a bottle (with say a wooden stirrer) and then apply. I'd then apply a very, very light coat of the Hermes red if you think that you need it, but honestly: I think the purple hue will come from the burgundy.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodfoot