• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni fit question

palladio211

Reaction score
I have a difficult foot to fit, with about an American B width heel and a wider toe. In the few shoes still available in widths, I'm generally an 11B (i.e. in Allen Edmonds or the old Church's custom grade). The standard measurement puts me at 10.5 B/C. Most other conventional width shoes (D or E) don't work at all for me.

Last year I purchased a Santoni hand made slip on loafer model 6342 in size 10D. It has ended up being one of the most comfortable shoes I've owned and I love the looks and quality. They've discontinued that shoe but there is another similar model, with a bit pointier toe called the 1666. The 10D in that model was a bit wide in the heel, but felt fine in the toe. The salesman put me in a 9.5 D , which fit nice and snug around the heel and instep but slightly cramped on the toes (not lengthwise but widthwise, maybe partially due to the pointier toe profile). He really felt that was the better fit and that the toe would eventually stretch out. The other option is to go with the 10 and put a thin insole in the shoe, which helps fill in the heel somewhat, though there is still slight slippage.

I am worried that the 9.5 may not stretch enough and could feel cramped, but also realize that the 10 may slip a bit at the heel (though when the sole breaks in that may subside too).

I don't want to get this wrong as it's a $1000 pair of shoes. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Is it better to go a bit tight and expect stretching or to go a bit looser and use an insole?

scot

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem you have, combined with high arches but in the size 8 arena.

The FAM shoes seem to fit me rather well, but I have to go down half a size. I have another pair coming this week and will give you the details.

Only other option is bespoke, but the cost.. Just too much for me unfortunately. I can direct you to d2custom shoes if you want cycling or golfing shoes. I have a pair of the cycling shoes.

The one thing I am curious to try (but didnt want to waste my money on if it wont work) is buying one size up and getting an orthotic or moldable insert. That might allow for a nice snug and comfortable fit without the extra bespoke expense. Problem is buying 300 dollar shoes on a theory sounds like a bad way to go.

(if anyone sees a pair of really ugly santoni fam in 8.5-9 new and for real cheap, let me know
biggrin.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads