• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam Wazin (NYC Tailor) Appreciation Thread

DanTheLadiesMan

Reaction score
I wasn't able to find a Sam Wazin thread on this forum, so I thought I'd start one. Sam is one of NYC's best kept secrets and my go-to tailor. I actually discovered Sam through Antonio's recommendation on the Eidos thread. Sam is the go-to tailor for most of the major fashion brands in NYC including Isaia, Eidos, Kiton, etc.

I've been bringing my clothes to Sam for the past 2 months, and I've been extremely pleased with his tailoring. In case any of the forum members (that live around NYC) are interested, I thought I'd share some of the alteration work I've had done and the associated prices.

Alterations:
1. Handmade working buttonholes ($80). Sam's hand embroidered buttonholes are very nice. The embroidery quality rivals the handmade buttonholes on my Isaia suit.
2. Slimming Jacket Sleeves ($60). Again, Sam did a beautiful job on the slimming the sleeves on one of my MTM suits from Proper Suit. He was even able to tighten up the armhole since I casually mentioned that I felt the armhole was a little too low.
3. Slimming Waist from side seams ($90). Beautiful work. Tailored from the armhole down. All seams perfectly aligned. I can't even tell that the jacket has been altered.

Custom Program
In addition to tailoring, Sam also does MTM shirts and custom suits. I haven't purchased any MTM shirts from Sam (so I can't speak to the quality), but I am in the process of getting a custom suit made by Sam. Sam and his team make all custom suits in their NYC workshop. An individual suit pattern is drafted for each client. All suits are full canvas and feature handmade buttonholes. I think his pricing starts at $1500 for entry level fabrics (think Drago super 120's) and goes up to $2,200-$3,000 (for higher end fabrics like Scabal and Holland and Sherry).

The custom suit process involves 3-4 fittings:
Fitting 1: Fabric and lining selections, suit styling options (i.e. lapel width, type of pockets, etc.), and full body measurements
Fitting 2: First try-on (buttonholes are not cut at this point and the sleeves and pants are unfinished). I just came back from my first fitting and I was absolutely blown away by the fit and quality of the suit. For comparison sake, I own a Kent Wang suit (which I love), but the suit Sam made for me is on another level. The styling is impeccable (high armholes, slim sleeves, and high gorge), and the suit fits like a glove on the first fitting.
Fitting 3: After the first fitting, I believe Sam cuts the buttonholes and completes any alterations that were identified during the first try-on. The third fitting is to verify the final fit. FYI, Sam offers free alterations for life on any garment made by him.

Here is a pic from my first fitting along with some fabric books that I photographed at his workshop. If anyone has any questions, feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM. I can't recommend Sam enough to my friends and family. I'm so glad that i found him!

Crappy iphone pic of first try-on:

Fabric Swatches (only a subset are pictured):

A MTM shirt that Sam made for another client:

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those button holes look great. Very reasonable pricing too. I've read quite a few good things about SW...mostly from Antonio.

02///M3

Reaction score
Has anyone on the forum had Sam make them a shirt? If so, were you satisfied with the result?

DanTheLadiesMan

Reaction score

Has anyone on the forum had Sam make them a shirt? If so, were you satisfied with the result?

I haven't purchased any shirts from Sam but I've seen them in person. The construction is good but they're not cheap. I think his entry level shirts were around the 180 range.

02///M3

Reaction score
Thank you! I imagine they are pricey, but I haven't had much luck with online MTM (Luxire, Proper Cloth, etc.) so he may be worth the premium if he can really nail the fit.

greenjb1

Reaction score
Dan, that flannel shirt look nice, but I gather that's premade not MTM? I've been trying to find a custom shirt maker that does casual fabrics. My experience with Proper Cloth has only been so-so. But I've had Sam tailor some stuff (including PC shirts) and he's great every time.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea why he doesn't do CMT?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads