• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam Wazin (NYC Tailor) Appreciation Thread

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A normal process, nothing unusual.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked him why he doesn't do CMT. The reason is because if he needs to redo a job he may not have access to the same fabric.

I didn't ask him, but was wondering why he charges an additional $1,300 for his better fabric (Dormieul). His base price for entry level fabric is so reasonable.

mockingboy

Reaction score
I'm starting to think his stuff isn't made in NYC but in China; that would explain no CMT and his Asian only shirt fabrics...the prices wouldn't allow him to make garments in NYC...thoughts?

greenjb1

Reaction score
No, kind of strange.

I'm getting my first coat made as we speak; I'll ask next time I'm there
How did you end up liking the coat? I'm thinking about taking the plunge myself -- Sam's done my alterations for a couple years, and he's fantastic at that.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't do it.

He's awesome at alterations but he told me everything was made in house and I'm 99 percent sure it's made in China.

I didn't confront him on it but the price is too good to be true for handmade in NY and really expensive for chinese

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He's awesome at alterations but he told me everything was made in house and I'm 99 percent sure it's made in China.

I didn't confront him on it but the price is too good to be true for handmade in NY and really expensive for chinese

His price is real good for the no name book he has but not so for the brand name.

greenjb1

Reaction score

Didn't you say you had him make you a coat? How did it turn out?

greenjb1

Reaction score
His price is real good for the no name book he has but not so for the brand name.
Any suggestions for where in NYC to get bespoke coat/suit made? I do AC for shirts, but they're so pricey I can't imagine what a coat would cost custom...

mockingboy

Reaction score
Not as good as I hoped.

For example, the first fitting had huge shoulder pads and was supposed to have none at all. Also could tell it was not made in the store

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as good as I hoped.

For example, the first fitting had huge shoulder pads and was supposed to have none at all. Also could tell it was not made in the store

How did you determine where it was made?

mockingboy

Reaction score
Industry people and investigating as well as a number of conversations w him.

Basic questions unrelated to China

1. If everything is made in house, why doesn't he do CMT
2. Why are all his shirt books Chinese?
3. Why doesn't it come basted if made in house?
4. Where are he paper patterns?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that for " discount bespoke or MTM"
the aphorism still hold that:

" A sucker is born every minute"

vaguelyvago

Reaction score
Industry people and investigating as well as a number of conversations w him.

Basic questions unrelated to China

1. If everything is made in house, why doesn't he do CMT
2. Why are all his shirt books Chinese?
3. Why doesn't it come basted if made in house?
4. Where are he paper patterns?
I also do not think he makes it in NYC. He made me a sport coat and it came out great. But in our first conversation he said it was made in the shop, while during the next conversation he said he has a workshop in Queens where they do the work. I find that hard to believe because the price is too low for made in NYC. Gilliberto charges a similar price for all work made on premises, but he has a large operation. Sam could not support a handful of tailors to work for him full time.

Additionally, Sam first said that all work is done by hand. However on second convo he said only some work is done by hand.. All in all, he is not being honest.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's like martin greenfield pricing, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads