• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rugby Ralph Lauren Replacement

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing. There's no replacement for Rugby. I'm in the same situation and the best I can do is go on eBay.

If you want close alternatives, they are dime a dozen. Polo's shirts and pants are pretty similar to Rugby's except for the fit and the pony logo. J.Crew occasionally has preppy-looking sweaters and jackets. BB and J Press offer similar styles, but quality is all over the place.

to be fair quality was all over the place with Rugby too.

PRL is the best alternative, and there are some things that are pretty much Rugby pieces that were rebranded as PRL. I came across some seersucker tennis racquet critter shorts recently.

I got the J Press York St cricket sweater in a size small, for like 60-70 bucks, it fits nicely, especially over a polo.

White Lotus

Reaction score
PRL shirts are too long for me. I wear a small and I can't leave them out because the shirt will cover my crouch.

IMO Brooks brothers extra slim fits are the best for casual sport shirts. I would also recommend BR & J Crew. I got all my sport shirts from them.

jhwendland

Reaction score
Nothing. There's no replacement for Rugby. I'm in the same situation and the best I can do is go on eBay.

If you want close alternatives, they are dime a dozen. Polo's shirts and pants are pretty similar to Rugby's except for the fit and the pony logo. J.Crew occasionally has preppy-looking sweaters and jackets. BB and J Press offer similar styles, but quality is all over the place.
Brooks Brothers quality is second to none.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brooks Brothers for what? Their shirts are pretty billowy, even the extra slim fit, from what I have read. I didn't see a slim-fit pant, and their sweaters are as billowy and shopping-mall drab as it gets. I may try one of their shirts if I can find them in person, but nothing grabs me enough to chance it for the price.

where are you getting your info, dude? brooks brothers is one of the only vendors I've found that could accommodate my 10" drop in the slim fit (thomas pink worked as well, but patterns are lame) without looking blousey. you should give them a second look and actually try them for yourself.

Also, are there any reasonable dress pants and trousers out there that have a slim fit (I actually thought of Rugby as too slim) with high quality fabric and construction for around $150?

it's hard to believe, but banana republic. I auditioned A LOT of dress trousers when I started at a job with a biz cas wardrobe a couple years ago and BR became my staple. they come in some great fabrics and offer some nice slim fits. material is solid as well, though not exceptional. should be able to get them on sale if you time it right too

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, so nobody tucks their shirts in?

I agree though I personally am starting to prefer the BB shirts, red fleece in small fits decently for me. I can never find extra slim in stores.

White Lotus

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers for what? Their shirts are pretty billowy, even the extra slim fit, from what I have read. I didn't see a slim-fit pant, and their sweaters are as billowy and shopping-mall drab as it gets. I may try one of their shirts if I can find them in person, but nothing grabs me enough to chance it for the price.

Speaking of which, shirts seem to be fairly cheap for MTM, and so should be easy to replicate in fit. How does the quality of MTM sources like Luxire, My Tailor, and Proper cloth compare to Rugby?

Also, are there any reasonable dress pants and trousers out there that have a slim fit (I actually thought of Rugby as too slim) with high quality fabric and construction for around $150?
I thought BB shirts were billowy until I sized down. BB ESF x-small. X-Small is their latest sizing I believe. BB ESF small fits me like a tent. I'm 5'7 145lbs.

White Lotus

Reaction score
where are you getting your info, dude? brooks brothers is one of the only vendors I've found that could accommodate my 10" drop in the slim fit (thomas pink worked as well, but patterns are lame) without looking blousey. you should give them a second look and actually try them for yourself.
it's hard to believe, but banana republic. I auditioned A LOT of dress trousers when I started at a job with a biz cas wardrobe a couple years ago and BR became my staple. they come in some great fabrics and offer some nice slim fits. material is solid as well, though not exceptional. should be able to get them on sale if you time it right too
BR is good for business wear because most of its style is conservative though I can see it is changing....

When I got to JCrew or BR, they have multi-colored "dress" shirts in gingham or tartan plaid. im just a college student and I wonder do men wear colors like these in a working environment?

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BR is good for business wear because most of its style is conservative though I can see it is changing....

When I got to JCrew or BR, they have multi-colored "dress" shirts in gingham or tartan plaid. im just a college student and I wonder do men wear colors like these in a working environment? 

it's not a staple, but I have this BB SF dress shirt in this purple color and a light blue as well:

biz cas gets old if you like to dress and don't mix it up a bit with fun stuff like this

BaronFizzwell

Reaction score
I guess if RRL suits were available online, that might have been an alternative, but there really is nothing. People down here also don't know anything about the label, and think PRL polo shirts with the horse on them are "luxury" items. Even a salesgirl at the Ralph Lauren "flagship" store here tried to tell me that Rugby was their "cheap" brand. So much for staff education. I would have argued with her more, but they'd hired somebody who looked like an exact replica of Mia Woolrich (remember her from the Rugby campaigns)?

Okay I'm randomly ranting now, so I will try and make a sensible suggestion ... J Press York Street?

I don't need a replacement label because of the bloodbath purchases of early 2013, but has anyone looked at that as an alternative? They claim to be cut slim, so could be good for the slimmer people ...

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
^ I only have their Mather oxford shirt, so this is a wild generalization. It's not really good value. Seems to me that it's just riding on the name of J Press (at least for their basic offerings like oxford shirt.) In addition their stuff is always significantly marked down a la Charles Tyrwhitt. Rugby was consistent and honest, if not better made.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rugby was pretty awesome, but they alternated between stylish basics, college wear and eurotrash and couldn't decide what they wanted to be. My understanding is that they were never going to achieve the volume they wanted for the brand so they cut it.

It was a shame as it was the last truly exciting thing PRL had done before sliding into irrelevancy after Ralph moves on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads