Rugby Ralph Lauren Replacement

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Charlesmbush, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

to be fair quality was all over the place with Rugby too.

PRL is the best alternative, and there are some things that are pretty much Rugby pieces that were rebranded as PRL. I came across some seersucker tennis racquet critter shorts recently.

I got the J Press York St cricket sweater in a size small, for like 60-70 bucks, it fits nicely, especially over a polo.

2. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior member

PRL shirts are too long for me. I wear a small and I can't leave them out because the shirt will cover my crouch.

IMO Brooks brothers extra slim fits are the best for casual sport shirts. I would also recommend BR & J Crew. I got all my sport shirts from them.

3. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Brooks Brothers quality is second to none.

4. superego

superego Senior member

where are you getting your info, dude? brooks brothers is one of the only vendors I've found that could accommodate my 10" drop in the slim fit (thomas pink worked as well, but patterns are lame) without looking blousey. you should give them a second look and actually try them for yourself.

it's hard to believe, but banana republic. I auditioned A LOT of dress trousers when I started at a job with a biz cas wardrobe a couple years ago and BR became my staple. they come in some great fabrics and offer some nice slim fits. material is solid as well, though not exceptional. should be able to get them on sale if you time it right too

5. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Haha, so nobody tucks their shirts in?

I agree though I personally am starting to prefer the BB shirts, red fleece in small fits decently for me. I can never find extra slim in stores.

6. Mujib

Mujib Senior member

http://kamakurashirts.com?

BBBF goes down to 78 on sale.

7. White Lotus

I thought BB shirts were billowy until I sized down. BB ESF x-small. X-Small is their latest sizing I believe. BB ESF small fits me like a tent. I'm 5'7 145lbs.

8. White Lotus

BR is good for business wear because most of its style is conservative though I can see it is changing....

When I got to JCrew or BR, they have multi-colored "dress" shirts in gingham or tartan plaid. im just a college student and I wonder do men wear colors like these in a working environment?

9. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

I'm calling bullshit.

10. superego

superego Senior member

it's not a staple, but I have this BB SF dress shirt in this purple color and a light blue as well:

[​IMG]

biz cas gets old if you like to dress and don't mix it up a bit with fun stuff like this

11. White Lotus

dude i have BB ESF SMALL & x-small. Xsmall fits me better.

12. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Senior member

The PRL rugby tees are practically the same things that RRL had. Really is the best alternative.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

13. BaronFizzwell

BaronFizzwell Senior member

I guess if RRL suits were available online, that might have been an alternative, but there really is nothing. People down here also don't know anything about the label, and think PRL polo shirts with the horse on them are "luxury" items. Even a salesgirl at the Ralph Lauren "flagship" store here tried to tell me that Rugby was their "cheap" brand. So much for staff education. I would have argued with her more, but they'd hired somebody who looked like an exact replica of Mia Woolrich (remember her from the Rugby campaigns)?

Okay I'm randomly ranting now, so I will try and make a sensible suggestion ... J Press York Street?

I don't need a replacement label because of the bloodbath purchases of early 2013, but has anyone looked at that as an alternative? They claim to be cut slim, so could be good for the slimmer people ...

14. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Senior member

^ I only have their Mather oxford shirt, so this is a wild generalization. It's not really good value. Seems to me that it's just riding on the name of J Press (at least for their basic offerings like oxford shirt.) In addition their stuff is always significantly marked down a la Charles Tyrwhitt. Rugby was consistent and honest, if not better made.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Rugby was pretty awesome, but they alternated between stylish basics, college wear and eurotrash and couldn't decide what they wanted to be. My understanding is that they were never going to achieve the volume they wanted for the brand so they cut it.

It was a shame as it was the last truly exciting thing PRL had done before sliding into irrelevancy after Ralph moves on.