Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Roy's Jeans - Single Man Made

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kiya, Oct 27, 2010.

1. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

Introducing Roy's Jeans - Single Man Made

Every now and then a product comes along that makes us rethink everything we know about jeans. This new product is from a man by the name of Roy Slaper. Roy's jeans bring aspects of jean production to light that we haven't seen on any level including deadstock vintage pairs.

We've known Roy for a while and he's been steadily perfecting his craft over the past four years, when we finally saw the jeans he'd been making we had to rethink the entire idea of "hand made". The term is thrown around a lot these days with the resurgence of Americana and American made products, many of which unfortunately are lower in quality than their Asian made counterparts.

Roy's jeans are made by one man, every aspect from the patterns to the leather patch starting out as a large piece of cowhide, Roy makes one pair at a time and nothing is automated. The studio where the jeans are made is filled with vintage pre-1960's machines by Union Special and Singer, the hardware is all made in Japan YKK, there are seven different thread types used, and the Roy signature on the pocket-bag is freehand chainstitched. We don't know of another jean available anywhere with this level of detail in the production.

We've produced a video showing off some of Roy's skills, it was difficult to show what takes two hours or more compressed into a three minute long video, but we hope you enjoy seeing a glimpse into the world of Roy.
    Click the full-screen icon in the bottom right corner of the video for the full effect:
    https://www.selfedge.com/shop/index....index&cPath=88

We're starting off this collection with two jeans. The RS1 is a straight leg fit and the RN1 is a narrow slim jean, both available in an unsanforized indigo selvedge denim. More to come in the future, even some tops.
    These are available now at all three Self Edge stores and in our online store, restocks will not come often with these.
    Check the online store for hi-res photos and full spec lists on these jeans:

https://www.selfedge.com/shop/index....index&cPath=88

Roy's RS1 - Straight Leg Jean
    [​IMG]

Roy's RN1 - Slim Leg Jean
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. whatever123

whatever123 Distinguished Member

whats with the large price increase from when you could buy from roy? is it different denim? better hardware? aside from another cut, what is the difference? it looks like the same stuff you could get from roy but for alot less...just wondering?

3. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior Member

Nice, these look great.

4. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Distinguished Member

whats with the large price increase from when you could buy from roy? is it different denim? better hardware? aside from another cut, what is the difference? it looks like the same stuff you could get from roy but for alot less...just wondering?

they're not available at his website anymore. it just redirects to selfedge.

5. kiya

Hardware was different on the early pairs, leather is thicker and has gone through two steps of dying AND tanning, he's tweaked more of the details like the hip outseam stitch. Also, his first set of jeans which he was selling direct were in his words "practice".

6. whatever123

they're not available at his website anymore. it just redirects to selfedge.
    yeah, i almost bought a pair when they were $150 or so back in may from him directly...but i never got around to it.

7. pronxs

pronxs Distinguished Member

wow @ the price increase. well i think that covers the international shipping + selfedge's B&M store.

8. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Distinguished Member

yeah, i almost bought a pair when they were $150 or so back in may from him directly...but i never got around to it.

Yeah, I'm kicking myself now...

9. whatever123

wow @ the price increase. well i think that covers the international shipping + selfedge's B&M store.
    plus there not "practice" jeans either. thats gotta be worth something i suppose...[​IMG] i guess a 2.5 x 3 leather patch and "different hardware" is worth a lot these days.

10. Robert

Robert Distinguished Member

"rethink everything we know about jeans"?! A bit hyperbolic, no?

11. kiya

"rethink everything we know about jeans"?! A bit hyperbolic, no?

Not until you realize the lengths Roy goes to make a single pair of jeans.

12. whatever123

what exactly does roy do that is different then say, flat head or iron heart. in other words, is he doing something that is truly unique outside of limiting production?

13. kylelovesyou

I appreciate the care that he puts in to these, but "rethink everything" is hyperbolic, and, frankly, meaningless.

14. entrero

entrero Distinguished Member

what exactly does roy do that is different then say, flat head or iron heart. in other words, is he doing something that is truly unique outside of limiting production?
    I appreciate the care that he puts in to these, but "rethink everything" is hyperbolic, and, frankly, meaningless.
    He makes every pair on his own, is it really that difficult to understand? This link shows the whole process how a good jean is made, if you make it through the +60 pages then you'll stop bitching http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...d.php?t=149004

15. kylelovesyou

He makes every pair on his own, is it really that difficult to understand?

This link shows the whole process how a good jean is made, if you make it through the +60 pages then you'll stop bitching
    http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...d.php?t=149004

I understand perfectly. But "entirely by hand" is not "rethinking everything."