• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLPL New Shoe Line All Made in Italy

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the top view is a dead ringer for 82 last? The Italians are doing it well.

I still consider it an anomaly that any American store could offer the cream of the crop EGs and even include them in most sales. I didn't see it going on forever.

Then again, if this new exchange rate has any kind of stability, it makes pure sense for RL to keep with EG.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're probably doing what they did with the lower shoe line; keep a few english models (Darlton, random buckle loafer, etc.) at higher prices, and add a bunch of italians that are also pretty nice but priced lower. If you recall, the first gen. italian shoes were priced at $550 (Stanton, Sullivan), now they are $500 for comparable models (Albin). RLPL by EG are nice, but now retail at $1600; having a nice $1100 option is good too, especially around sale time.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked the Bond St (London) RL store yesterday.
They had about 5 new (Italian made models) in - prices were £599 - £699.
To my eye, they were reminiscent of some of the higher end Santoni's.
No too many EG's (no Grants, Dover/Pitney, Hewitt etc).
They had one random pair of Eden's, (that had obviously been shipped in) - with a $Euro 400 tag -50%, though the Dutch 'pancake eating' salesmen, refused to honor it!...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
lol, I had to email my GF this post. Why can't woman understand that you can NEVER have enough suits or nice shoes. Especially when there are so many great deals out there to be had!

The beauty of it is that since that post I've acquired a great shoe by Grenson (Wembley), the C&J Finsbury, and an Edward Green Chelsea. For new acquisitions I'm at eight, Grenson, C&J, Edward Green, Sargent for Peal & Co., Church's, Magnanni, Fiorentini & Ralph Lauren Italy, with two misc. pair kicking around.

Thinking about picking up a pair of the RL Bleeker II on Amazon right now for $148 shipped, but since I'm on a one-maker budget, I don't know.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
The beauty of it is that since that post I've acquired a great shoe by Grenson (Wembley), the C&J Finsbury, and an Edward Green Chelsea. For new acquisitions I'm at eight, Grenson, C&J, Edward Green, Sargent for Peal & Co., Church's, Magnanni, Fiorentini & Ralph Lauren Italy, with two misc. pair kicking around.

Thinking about picking up a pair of the RL Bleeker II on Amazon right now for $148 shipped, but since I'm on a one-maker budget, I don't know.

Dammit Bris, you made me check Amazon! So many choices....
bounce2.gif

Looks like some of these (including the Bleeker II) are the 1st gen of Italian shoes; sole treatment isn't quite as nice, I wonder about the overall quality. The leather on the Bleeker II's also looks a little grainy or something.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Dammit Bris, you made me check Amazon! So many choices....
bounce2.gif

Looks like some of these (including the Bleeker II) are the 1st gen of Italian shoes; sole treatment isn't quite as nice, I wonder about the overall quality. The leather on the Bleeker II's also looks a little grainy or something.

Looks like Scotchgrain. I would have already puller the trigger if the hardware on the brown pair was silver.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a RL store today in Chevy Chase and saw the new RLPL Made In Itay shoes for the first time. Really nice construction and there's a set of 3 nails on the top of the sole grouped together. There's no other similar nail pattern on the shoe, but Sutor is the first thing that came to mind.

Originally Posted by bigbris1
This was the first time I had ever seen so many EG/RLPL shoes lined up next to each other.

The MacKay on the 888 is a thing of beauty. The had the MacKay in dark oak & mink on the table. Mmmmm

One of the new RLPL Italy shoes I saw looks EXACTLY like the MacKay. It's called the "Denver". Looked real sleak.

Originally Posted by paeday
Wow, I guess I may have been misinformed by the ATL Ralph Lauren guys....they said that EG was still going to be offered. Maybe they meant MTO only. The sales guys asked headquarters who makes the new Made in Italy shoes....and they said headquarters was not giving that info out. For what it is worth the model they had looked very nice......

The RL store still carries EG RTW - The Eden and the Grants are still sold there.

Originally Posted by polar-lemon
They're probably doing what they did with the lower shoe line; keep a few english models (Darlton, random buckle loafer, etc.) at higher prices, and add a bunch of italians that are also pretty nice but priced lower. If you recall, the first gen. italian shoes were priced at $550 (Stanton, Sullivan), now they are $500 for comparable models (Albin). RLPL by EG are nice, but now retail at $1600; having a nice $1100 option is good too, especially around sale time.

The EG made shoes (Eden, Grant) were $1,250 and the RLPL Italy ones were $1,100.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
One of the new RLPL Italy shoes I saw looks EXACTLY like the MacKay. It's called the "Denver". Looked real sleak.

I'm going to do a search but if you happen upon the store again, snap a couple of pics
wink.gif

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trust me, I was tempted.

There were 4 total RLPL Italy shoes there that I saw (2 browns, 2 blacks) and all of them had a very sleek Sutor kind of feel to them (including one that had underside stitching, or however you call it). Their model names also all started with the letter "D", IIRC, fwiw.

yerrow

Reaction score
atlanta has received 2 new pairs of italian made norwegian welted pieces as well as brown sisters to all of the new italian made black pices of footwear. the browns are quite handsome as are the norwegian welted pieces

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aragon765
You could always speak to aportnoy... he appears to have successfully avoided any such limitations on purchasing (be it wife or spending the GDP of most African countries...
laugh.gif
)

Ask him how many pair are hiding in the office at work.

DeWheat32

Reaction score
So I've heard a number of different suggestions on this forum as to who actually makes the RLPL Made in Italy shoes. I was about to buy a pair but there is not way I am spending 1000+ without a definitive answer to who makes them. Somebody here has to know the answer to this with some authority. I asked the people at the mansion and they said "they don't tell us". So consider this post a bump and let's get to the bottom of this.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I know is that I own 2 pair with the asterisk on the sides of the heel. The Stanton (GY welted with hidden channeled soles) and the Bleeker (open channel sole, Blake stitched) and I like both very much.

The Bleekers have a 1/2 to 1 sole which ill probably wear down quickly, but they are gorgeous in suede & the craftsmanship is excellent.

The Stantons have held up very well under all of the abuse I've put them thru, even if the vamp creases are unsightly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads