• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Richmond VA - Nathan's, Leviner-Wood, Beecroft & Bull, or Franco's for MTM suit?

ezwicky

Reaction score
Any Richmond gentlemen here who would advise one of the above shops over the others for a made-to-measure suit?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Zwicky,
Richmond VA

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of them sell RTW from the same supplier as their MTM?

The lowest risk MTM in my opinion is one where you have tried on a model garment, and are making adjustments from there - this way you know what the base pattern is, and whether it begins to be suitable for you.

I could wear a 50R Formosa from No Man Walks Alone off the rack, but the pants and jacket would need a bunch of work. My first Formosa suit I ordered I substituted 48R pants. My second suit I ordered MTM I additionally had a slight taper done to the pants (still 48R), and had the jacket waist taken in - basically, I am drilling down on fit to simplify alterations - these pants only needed to be hemmed with a cuff.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I've had a positive experience with Leviner-Wood, but their base pattens are fairly conservative, so you kind of get what you get (I had two pairs of pants made).

FWIW, if I was going to get MTM made, I would either go with 707 Fine Clothing -- they're the best alterations place in the city, and the owner is an EXCELLENT tailor who understands fit and patterning well -- or Ledbury. Ledbury offers MTM suiting and MTM or bespoke shirting.

ezwicky

Reaction score
Thanks Teger. I have two 30+ year-old suits that I am swimming in now after losing a lot of weight, so maybe I'll see if 707 would advise taking thenm in. While I'm there I could talk to them abut a new suit.

ezwicky

Reaction score
I was riding my motorcycle down Broad St this afternoon and Ledbury was open, so I went in and talked to the guy there. He said the MTM person (London) would be back on Tuesday so after I go to 707 I'll probably head back over there to talk to her.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only had shirts made at Leviner-Wood but Larry was excellent to work with and the shirts fit perfectly.

I had a Hickey Freeman MTM suit made at Franco's. The fit and the salesman I worked with were both great. They also do Canali and Corneliani MTM.

For my next MTM suit or jacket I'll likely check out Samuelsohn MTM at Beecroft & Bull.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Give 707 a shot -- I really like the owners and they have done exceptional alterations work for me. Their location kind of sucks (on Broad by the Convention Center), but the store is really nice and the area is improving quickly thanks to the Pulse. There's a parking lot across the street.

I'm eventually going to get them to make me some pants, pricing starts around $300.

Ledbury is interesting because my impression is that their MTM/bespoke operation isn't really there to make any money, and is much more of a pet project. They're the only place in the city that does full bespoke shirting as far as know, with a custom pattern and a fitting shirt, although it is very, very expensive -- prices start around $400. The shirts are actually made in their storefront. I had one shirt made because I had some gift cards and I wasn't interested in any of their OTR stuff. Their MTM shirting starts around $200 IIRC and is also made in Richmond.

ezwicky

Reaction score
Yeah I saw all the patterns hanging up in that back room, just for shirts. I'm new to good clothes so this is all very interesting to me.

ezwicky

Reaction score
Teger - I went to 707 today and just felt a connection with the folks there, especially Dayal. I scheduled a fitting with him next Tuesday for a hopsack sport jacket. Thanks for the tip.

Eric

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teger - I went to 707 today and just felt a connection with the folks there, especially Dayal. I scheduled a fitting with him next Tuesday for a hopsack sport jacket. Thanks for the tip.

Eric

I see you were influenced by the other thread. Good choice and good luck. You'll be happy w/ a hopsack jacket!

ezwicky

Reaction score
Just got fitted at 707 for a Fresco, not hopsack, sport jacket in charcoal. The fabrics seem similar, they showed me both and we decided together on the Fresco. The whole process was new to me but exciting and fun. As Dayal put it, this is like an art project, picking out all the details... pockets, lining, buttonholes, stitching, name lettering, etc. I'll post pictures when it arrives in 4 - 6 weeks.

They're also going to shorten three pairs of Lucky Jeans I bought at Men's Wearhouse a few months ago. I also bought a pair of Paine jeans in dark blue, which they are going to shorten a bit as well.

Thanks again to Teger for pointing me to 707. I have a few other ideas for the coming year but for now this will hold me.

ezwicky

Reaction score
They do great work, let us know how it turns out!

I have been wearing the jacket for 5 or 6 weeks, including four weeks of Mon-Fri air travel and it doesn't wrinkle, and is very comfortable in hot weather. Here's a couple of pics, along with a shirt I also got from 707.

Attachments

• jacket-front.jpg
    jacket-front.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 58
  • jacket-open.jpg
    jacket-open.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 69
  • jacket_shirt.jpg
    jacket_shirt.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 216
  • collar.jpg
    collar.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 212

ceriano

Reaction score
I have been wearing the jacket for 5 or 6 weeks, including four weeks of Mon-Fri air travel and it doesn't wrinkle, and is very comfortable in hot weather. Here's a couple of pics, along with a shirt I also got from 707.

That fits you very well! are the buttonholes machine made or hand sewn?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads