1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Revolutionary new shirt collar

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ddgdl, Jun 14, 2013.

1. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I like the name a lot. Reminds me of cheesy spy novels

Maxwell Blythe and...

The Fenestra Strip.

2. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

Oh that is horrible

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

4. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

They sold shirts to about 70 people, and work in "the traditional corporate consulting/finance world," so they have personal contacts with disposable income. As a student filmmaker, this is the issue with Kickstarter for me -- all my friends are so broke I couldn't raise $750, much less $7,500.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

ERIC GLENNIE

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...typical situation. People will criticize it, but one of the well-recognized members will wear one, and all of the sheep will do a "180."

It's an interesting idea. It's against the status quo, so of course people here will resist it, but it could catch on in more casual and fashion-forward crowds.

YRR92:

If you can't raise $750, then it's because your idea sucks. Blaming your friends' poorness is just a cop out.

7. thegreatgatsby

thegreatgatsby Senior member

It looks like the hot-mess brain child of Stacy Adams and FUBU.

I'm confident that Daymond John will lead the pack on this "fashion forward" endeavor.

8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Well, I haven't tried, so I don't really know if I could or couldn't. Obviously, I have my doubts -- but they sure as hell aren't about my end.

9. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

No, this looks legitimately terrible. This basically makes your neck area look like Felix the Cat. It is not flattering. The point of a proper collar shape and a tie is to draw a looker's attention to the wearer's face. This collar puts the focus on itself by breaking up a solid white or blue collar with a flash of color. Anyone wearing this, sheep or otherwise, should be put out to pasture. The idea of adding some color to your collar is not a bad one. I think the placement of the color in this case is not ideal. The best place to add color in my opinion would be at the collar points. Similar to a western tipped collar shirt.

1 person likes this.
  10. thegreatgatsby

The must have item for any man heading out to dinner in Times Square, Atlantic City, or anywhere towards the end of the Vegas Strip that includes Circus, Circus and the Excalibur Hotel.

11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I can't explain what possessed me to look this up (boredom, I guess), but this is actually a really good (somewhat harsh) joke if you look at a map of Las Vegas.

12. eluther

eluther Senior member

+1 Even if Spoo wore this, no one else would bite. Guaranteed. In fact, I'd be willing to front the money to buy him one.

13. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I think that the idea is novel, but these are guys who don't understand their market, they don't understand that the guys who presently buy gold or sterling silver collar stiffeners (what they pitched in the video) probably don't care for such ostentation. Just like how most guys who drop thousands of GBP on a suit don't want contrast pick stitching everywhere. Not everybody (dare I say most) who uses these products -- smth as discreet as a gold collar stiffener -- want to show it off like what those guys proposed in the video.

Heck, the fact that somebody would pay top dollar for a collar stiffener, as opposed to using that money to jazz out more visible parts of their outfit is already indicative of the purchaser's frame of mind.

Whether showing off cheaply made collar stiffeners in multiple colours, or monogrammed, become the next fashion trend, when they produce such stiffeners is a whole separate issue that I don't care to speculate on.

14. ats200

ats200 Active Member

The prototypes in the video turn me off.. it looks like someone cut the diamonds out with scissors like one would with construction paper - you can even see the depth of the cut and the fray.

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

So, so horrible.

16. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

What is next....
    Front-windowed pants to show off our testicles? The ball bra? Codpiece revival?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  17. thegreatgatsby

18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

No. This is just terrible and pointless "invention" for the sake of invention. Maybe some hipsters will adopt it but no one who actually knows what they're doing.

+1. My thoughts exactly.