• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redding = C&J?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross posted in the Polo sale thread.

I received my Polo order today via Fedex. I'm amazed because I placed the order very early Thursday, but selected the free ground shipping. Anyway, they got 10/11 items right on the money - including the Redding boots. I already own the cheap Made in Italy Brendell version and the Reddings are far superior.

They are most definitely English benchgrade +. They have channeled soles and feature the following inside markings.
118381/49857
ALM60961
I believe that the former series of numbers would indicate a 381 last. According to my C&J catalog, there is no such last. It is definitely an elongated last.

I also picked up a pair of Darlton cordovan bluchers. I was pleasantly surprised to find them much more attractive in the leather than online. I wore them out for about 5 hours today and they are very comfortable, if a bit heavy. The color is beautiful. Their interior markings are
1119347/40143
ALM46120
Again, I believe the first series indicates a last 347 that doesn't appear in my catalog.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Is it possible for C&J to have some sort of modified last they use for Ralph Lauren? It could be a 337 with slight modifications. Does anyone know if their last are a single piece of wood(or some other material) or a bunch of pieces fitted together like a jigsaw puzzle?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIK, the C&J for Polo shoes use the usual C&J lasts, but the numbers in the shoes don't correspond to last numbers. According to email from C&J, the Polo Darltons are made on C&J's 325 last and the Darlton wingtips are called the "Pembroke" by C&J. I find them roomy in the toe box. For the 337 last, I went down 1/2 size from my usual size to get a good fit (i.e. I bought a US size 11.5D Polo Alton on the 337 last instead of my usual US 12D. My Altons are a tad snug, but a good fit, overall). FWIW, I also own a pair of the Polo MacCallum chukka boots made by C&J and I believe they are also made on the 325 last, though I have no confirmation from C&J.

The C&J for Polo Redding boots should not be confused with the C&J Reading monkstraps, benchmade on the 348 last.

heavyd

Reaction score
Just got my Reddings. They fit the same as the other Polo (Chucka) boots made by C&J - but those are a much heavier cordovan leather whereas these are lighter.

Seem very well made, awesome brass tacks in the heels. Old school bench style. Heavy leather sole. Cool narrow toe suitable for wear with suits even?

I took them to the cobbler for leather soles, taps, polish and a quick stretch so they are ready for Chicago winter.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love my Holland boots. I'm wearing them now and they're sumptuous. They're so good, I regret not picking up a pair of Reddings too. At the time I told myself I had a pair of black chelseas already (RMWs), but maybe a pair of brown suedes would have been nice...
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics