• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Allmodcons1965

Reaction score

Here's a little project I've been working on. I cut these Red Wing 6" "roughout" mocs into oxfords, finished the cut edge with some veg tan, and wore them for about 6 months. The light colored roughout doesn't really look all that great as it gets worn so I gave them a coat of mink oil (last pic) to see if that would make any difference. It's hard to see here, but it darkened them quite a bit and I'm really happy with how they turned out. Looking forward to seeing how they look in another 6 months.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Is it necessary to treat the leather with conditioner, etc. before you first put the boots into service or totally optional? The boots in question are 1907 Moc Toe, 3343 Blacksmith and 2996 Lineman. Thanks.

ElBron21

Reaction score
Is it necessary to treat the leather with conditioner, etc. before you first put the boots into service or totally optional? The boots in question are 1907 Moc Toe, 3343 Blacksmith and 2996 Lineman. Thanks
For me, personally, I check the tongue for the date when they were made. It's a month/year label.
If it's more then 3 months or so I would just to keep the leather healthy.
I order red wings from ebay occasionally or nordstram rack, and they have been years old so I def do then
But I wouldn't say it was required before first wear if they are super new, but it couldnt hurt

Jaytag

Reaction score
What color leather laces would look great on Red Wing #3137 copper rough and tough classic chukka boots?

Dark Brown, Chestnut or burgundy?

styleforumfan

Reaction score
For me, personally, I check the tongue for the date when they were made. It's a month/year label.
If it's more then 3 months or so I would just to keep the leather healthy.
I order red wings from ebay occasionally or nordstram rack, and they have been years old so I def do then
But I wouldn't say it was required before first wear if they are super new, but it couldnt hurt

Which leather conditioner is best for RW leather before first wear without darkening it?

Friday

Reaction score
Thanks all! I have a couple of pair of RW boots, but I was really itching for some oxfords so I thought I would give it a shot. The light color roughout is tricky - when it's new it looks amazing, but they look really bright when you're wearing them. As they age they get pretty dirty, but not in a way that make them look better - kind of like when light colored suede Clarks get dirty. The mink oil made all the difference.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Last edited:

macher

Reaction score

How does the RW fit guarantee work?  Does it only apply to boots bought directly from RW?

I'm breaking in my 1907 at the moment.  The heels are slipping on every step.  I normally wear 8 1/2.  I only went 1/2 size down (8) and wondering if I should go 1 full size down (7 1/2).  I read here you should go for the tightest fit possible OOTB.

http://www.askmen.com/style/fashion_advice/how-to-break-in-your-first-pair-of-red-wing-boots.html

Got a pair of Beckman's at the RW Store and they said there's a 30 day comfort guarantee.

I'm an 8 and went with a 7.5 and they fit tight. The rep said Beckman's are normally 1/2 smaller than Brannock.

Last edited:

ElBron21

Reaction score

How does the RW fit guarantee work?  Does it only apply to boots bought directly from RW?

I'm breaking in my 1907 at the moment.  The heels are slipping on every step.  I normally wear 8 1/2.  I only went 1/2 size down (8) and wondering if I should go 1 full size down (7 1/2).  I read here you should go for the tightest fit possible OOTB.

http://www.askmen.com/style/fashion_advice/how-to-break-in-your-first-pair-of-red-wing-boots.html

Yeah, if you are starting to wonder if they don't fit right, then they probably don't mate. And depending on your gait, they'll only get roomier..

macher

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Beckman's size 7.5. Is the odd creasing normal? I've read that odd creasing could be an indication that the fit isn't right. My right foot seems to be creasing pretty good. Thanks!

My right foot.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads