• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

spedrunr

Reaction score
I would suggest just tying them up real tight and champing through the pain for a week or 2.
By then the leather will have sorted itself out and that pinch wont be there anymore.
This has happened to me with my both 11" lace ups with how the tongue was forced to fold when i laced them all the way up. They pinched pretty badly but eventually the leather is forced to flatten out and soften, so to speak. This will happen with yours too, I wouldn't alter the tongue.
you were right Elbron21, i'm glad you talked me into toughing it out, they feel just fine and i didn't have to butcher them. sometimes i'm just a sissy

ElBron21

Reaction score
you were right Elbron21, i'm glad you talked me into toughing it out, they feel just fine and i didn't have to butcher them. sometimes i'm just a sissy

Good. Ive never really been bothered by the break-in period of red wings but that doesn't mean it's an easy time on my feet. I bought the black brogue rangers recently and I'm in the process of breaking them in. They are so dressy looking it's hard to find a lot of situations to wear them besides weddings, hot dates, etc... Which also don't occur too often. They are great looking boots though. I feel a bit fancy when I wear them

Captcha Code

Reaction score
Unfortunately I dont have that luxury. FWIW I have a pair of postmans which are size 7us and I bought a friend 875s in size 7. They are a bit big but when i put a dr scholls insole they fit absolutely fine.

should 6.5 be good if i dont intend on putting in an insole?

Oh also, if i do end up getting a pair, should i use conditioner on them before giving them a real wear?

Last edited:

ElBron21

Reaction score
Unfortunately I dont have that luxury. FWIW I have a pair of postmans which are size 7us and I bought a friend 875s in size 7. They are a bit big but when i put a dr scholls insole they fit absolutely fine.

should 6.5 be good if i dont intend on putting in an insole?

Oh also, if i do end up getting a pair, should i use conditioner on them before giving them a real wear?

I feel like my Beckmans are more of a snug fit than a semi-bulkier one like my 877s.
And I assume the postmans, by the way they look, are more of a snug fit.
So i would suggest getting the Beckmans in the size 7, it should fit similar to the postmans..
I highly suggest getting a pair of Beckmans, out of the 8 red wings I own I would choose the Beckman's if I had to pick just one pair. They look good with anything.

As for the conditioning before the break-in period? I only oil mine when I first get them because they are usually 3-8 months old by the time I'm taking them outta the box. So I do it just because they're round half a year old without having the leather being hydrated. That's just me, I'm sure it doesn't help or hurt anything on the grand scale.

Captcha Code

Reaction score
Well i ended up getting the 6.5s and they fit perfect lol

if i want them to end up with a more matte color what should i do or avoid doing?

ElBron21

Reaction score

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wanted to wear these Postman oxfords to work, but the dark brown made them look "too fancy". It looked like they were a lighter brown underneath a bunch of brown polish. I stripped that off as best as I could, then conditioned them. I think that I achieved my goal -- they look nice, but not TOO nice.

ElBron21

Reaction score

I wanted to wear these Postman oxfords to work, but the dark brown made them look "too fancy". It looked like they were a lighter brown underneath a bunch of brown polish. I stripped that off as best as I could, then conditioned them. I think that I achieved my goal -- they look nice, but not TOO nice.

Were these used?

Captcha Code

Reaction score
How long does it take for the beckman laces to soften up and be more malleable and slip through the eyelets more easily. The waxiness is a bit sticky, probably from being in storage for like two years (looks like they were made in 2013) Unless theyre really supposed to be somewhat like that

Oh and are people exagerating the break in for these shoes? Been wearing them for the past couple of days and they dont feel bad at all lol.

Last edited:

ElBron21

Reaction score

How long does it take for the beckman laces to soften up and be more malleable and slip through the eyelets more easily.  The waxiness is a bit sticky,  probably from being in storage for like two years (looks like they were made in 2013)  Unless theyre really supposed to be somewhat like that

Oh and are people exagerating the break in for these shoes?  Been wearing them for the past couple of days and they dont feel bad at all lol.

I love the waxed laces personally. I bet a week or 2 and they'll be more to your liking.
I didn't think my beckmans had much of a break in period myself. Maybe because red wing uses their nicest leather for them...?

EPrest90

Reaction score
How long does it take for the beckman laces to soften up and be more malleable and slip through the eyelets more easily. The waxiness is a bit sticky, probably from being in storage for like two years (looks like they were made in 2013) Unless theyre really supposed to be somewhat like that

Oh and are people exagerating the break in for these shoes? Been wearing them for the past couple of days and they dont feel bad at all lol.
It's either exaggerated, or people have sized them wrong. Mine were a breeze to break in.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag