• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

ElBron21

Reaction score
Hi

I need some casual shoes/boots for the summer spring season and i know the Red Wing quality is amazing in my experience.

Do they have any casual spring/summer shoes? What about the chukkas? :)

The chukkas look great. I don't own a pair but I see them occasionally and they look good and comfy.
Try looking at anything with the Copper Yuma leather or the Muleskinner leather. I think the colors of those 2 leathers is spring/summer looking
Almost all of the heritage line are not insulated so they breathe just fine in the spring/summer if that's a concern at all

I wear my 8113s,out to Royals games every summer all summer and they don't bother me

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
Thanks man! Yeah,i have pair of iron rangers and im aware of the perils of the cork sole:) Im after a pair of the hawthorne muleskinners which are available in europe, but i guess i just need to suck it up and just buy them:)

If you use Bing.com's image search there are a few pics of the 2963s, and in the review section of the 2963's on the red wing site there is a pic or 2 someone posted but they are brand new.
I dont know if you own any with the nitrile cork outsole, but if you live in an area with any sort of icy or snow conditions they are **** in that. I found myself slipping/falling a lot.
But all other weather the outsoles are great. Just something to consider.
Also, these blacksmiths in charcoal are bitchin https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/boots/PRDOVR~B0812/B0812.jsp

Noirkw

Reaction score

Just picked up the Charcoals 8116 to go with my 8115. Really love the IRs and the way to fit on me. Here's to breaking the second one in!

Last edited:

ElBron21

Reaction score

Just picked up the Charcoals 8116 to go with my 8115. Really love the IRs and the way to fit on me. Here's to breaking the second one in!

Those boots are so sharp
Do you usually wear your jeans with that giant cuff, Or you just did that to show them off better in the pictures?

kentyman

Reaction score
Do you usually wear your jeans with that giant cuff, Or you just did that to show them off better in the pictures?

That appears to be quite deliberate.

Noirkw

Reaction score
I pulled up the cuff to show more of the boot. I like double cuffs though as I usually don't hem my jeans

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone ever gone TTS (Brannock) on the Beckman's?

Lots of 'half size down' advise on pretty much every review I read on the Beckman's, but most don't specify if that's from sneaker size or Brannock. Also, lots of people seem to like a snug fit (ie end of big toe touching the front of the boot) - which in my book = too small shoe.

I'm an 8D on my left and almost an 8E on my right foot. I'm kind of worried going a 7.5D on a Beckman would be too tight on the right. I live overseas, and returns would be a real hassle.

Yes. I am in your boat - my left foot is easily an E width, while my right a D. With this in mind, it depends on how you plan on wearing these. I'd say MINIMUM 8D - if its too roomy, add an insole and your good. DO NOT undersize boots if you've got a wide forefoot. Those who religiously "size down" probably could fit in b-width shoes just fine.

Bonka

Reaction score
Has anyone ever gone TTS (Brannock) on the Beckman's?

Lots of 'half size down' advise on pretty much every review I read on the Beckman's, but most don't specify if that's from sneaker size or Brannock. Also, lots of people seem to like a snug fit (ie end of big toe touching the front of the boot) - which in my book = too small shoe.

I'm an 8D on my left and almost an 8E on my right foot. I'm kind of worried going a 7.5D on a Beckman would be too tight on the right. I live overseas, and returns would be a real hassle.

I'm 8E on the Brannock and went with 8D in the Beckman. While I didn't size myself in a 7.5 or an "E" I like the way the 8D fit since my issue tends to be that my pinky toe rubs the side, so that coupled with my higher in-step, snug fitting shoes aren't a thing for me. The Beckmans give me the pinky toe room I need which works well with my preference and need to not let the big toes touch the top of the boot so this gives me a little bit of room to wear something other than thin socks.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to buy some Red Wing boots but this is the first time I'm going to buy a boot with this style. So, in a store around here they have these two models:

RedWing1638F_large.jpg

1_f78cf988-e0dd-4b6a-902d-9f4f2d01eb86_large.jpg

I like the second one a bit more than the first one. They are discounted so the price is nice. But problem is the size. I usually wear an 8.5 UK, the first one is available in that size, the second one only in 9 UK, do you think the 8 UK of the second one would fit?

Thanks!

ElBron21

Reaction score

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to buy some Red Wing boots but this is the first time I'm going to buy a boot with this style. So, in a store around here they have these two models:

RedWing1638F_large.jpg

1_f78cf988-e0dd-4b6a-902d-9f4f2d01eb86_large.jpg

I like the second one a bit more than the first one. They are discounted so the price is nice. But problem is the size. I usually wear an 8.5 UK, the first one is available in that size, the second one only in 9 UK, do you think the 8 UK of the second one would fit?

Thanks!
Check the last of the boots. I believe them two boots are the same last therefore they should fit the exact same

goldenbear

Reaction score
I have a pair of the cigar beckmans (the second one). I love them. I frequently get compliments on them. I have two pairs of beckmans (cigar and black) and I may even purchase a third if Nordstrom has a different color on sale this Summer. I have three pairs of Redwings. You can't go wrong with either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics