• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

cathpah

Reaction score
Had my 875s for nearly 4 months and have been wearing them daily but I still get pain in the back of my right ankle. I suspect it's because I do a lot of driving in these boots. Any suggestions on what can help? The boots are completely broken in save this one issue.
I'd put a bunch of leather lotion or something similar on the problem area, both inside and outside of the boot. then bend that area back and forth with your fingers for quite a while to get the problem area extra broken in/pliable. If there is a seam anywhere there, take something hard (thick plastic or a smooth stone) and rub it back and forth to slowly decrease the topographical difference (I'm sure there's a better term, but that's all I can think of right now).

How much toe room is too much? My 4473s are on the 522 last, and have lots of toe room (1" at big toe... I think I had issues with toes getting squeezed when I sized down 0.5), but are comfortable even when walking in them all day. I'm considering getting a pair of 214s from the heritage collection in the same size, which is on the 23 last. I think it is sized similarly.
It's really not about toe room, it's about matching the wide part of your foot (generally at the ball of your foot) to match up with the widest part of the boot. Having more toe room in a pair of boots than you'd have in a pair of dress shoes is normal and intentional to allow for thick warm socks.

If I wear a 9-9.5 shoe, what size would I be best ordering in the Iron Ranger? No stockists around where I live.
I'm in the same boat and I wear an 8.5 in the IRs. I wear a 9 in the Beckmans so I assumed the same would be true for the IRs, but I had to exchange them to go down to the 8.5s.

Last edited:

acinod

Reaction score
How long do the Beckman's take to break in? I'm a US 8 so planning to size down to US 7.5.

I ask this because I can't decide when to get them (being in Australia they aren't readily available):

I want to get these boots for long distance walking for when I go on my US holiday in 7 weeks. The only local Red Wing store only gets shippings every few weeks and the Cigar Beckman's won't arrive until November/December. They'll probably be $330. But by the time I get them, I'm worried I won't have enough time to break into them (since I don't wear them every day due to a business job) and by the time I wear them on holiday they will still be uncomfortable.

Another option is to buy the Black Cherry Beckman's for $430 at another store that stocks them but that's an extra $100 and I prefer Cigar over the Black Cherry.

So just wondering, how long do the Beckman's take to break in?

cathpah

Reaction score
How long do the Beckman's take to break in? I'm a US 8 so planning to size down to US 7.5.

I ask this because I can't decide when to get them (being in Australia they aren't readily available):

I want to get these boots for long distance walking for when I go on my US holiday in 7 weeks. The only local Red Wing store only gets shippings every few weeks and the Cigar Beckman's won't arrive until November/December. They'll probably be $330. But by the time I get them, I'm worried I won't have enough time to break into them (since I don't wear them every day due to a business job) and by the time I wear them on holiday they will still be uncomfortable.

Another option is to buy the Black Cherry Beckman's for $430 at another store that stocks them but that's an extra $100 and I prefer Cigar over the Black Cherry.

So just wondering, how long do the Beckman's take to break in?
I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but it really is different for everyone...and often for different pairs.

My black cherry beckmans took a while to break in (the seam at the achilles was especially tough) yet my chestnut colored beckmans took almost no time to break in.

No matter what, you really don't want to be stuck on a trip with boots that aren't sufficiently broken in (or feet that aren't yet used to the boots)...so I'd likely bring an extra pair of shoes either way, so as not to be stuck if your boots are giving your feet trouble. Even if they're just some junk shoes you plan on throwing away during the trip, it'll help give your feet a rest if/when they need them.

Beyond that, buy the color that you want. You'll have these for a long time, so get the ones that you truly want.

previlo

Reaction score
Hi there,
I need your advice and hope you can help me out?
I am wearing classic Moc Toe (#875) and Brogue Ranger (#8126) for some time now, both in US 9.5/ EUR 42.5 (normal casual/ dress shoes EUR 44), and after the initial hurting they broke in quite well and feel comfortable.
After infected with the Red Wing virus I am looking for another pair and come across the Round Toe 8165 and like it very much.
However I tried one of the Round Toes on, the size 9.5 fits not bad at all, but I have the feeling that my heel is slipping quite a bit. The guy in the shop told me that the Round Toes have a wider heel area than the Moc Toes and as such if they slip, they will continue to slip. Have you guys experiences with that? I remember that the Moc Toes slipped as well in the heel area, but after breaking in the typical heel curve was created and no slipping anymore. What about the Round Toe, do they will also create a "heel curve" to support, or will they continue to stay straight and still slip?
Anyone?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

what whale

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster in here desperately in need of some help. Two days ago I got a pair of RW 9016 Beckmans - I love them! Measure an 11 on the Brannock device purchased these in 10.5. Slightly loose on my smaller foot but comfy right out of the box. Well I've worn them to my office job yesterday and today, got home tonight to find this stain! I'm freaking out - it won't go away. I treated them with Venetian Shoe Cream when I got them.

Ideas on what's causing this? Is it the fit? The shoe cream not doing it's job? Anythin I can do about it? Any and all replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ww

adiel408

Reaction score
Who has a pair of the 8111 iron rangers color amber, if so does the color change to a lighter brown as you wear them?

sedwards

Reaction score
I have bought a pair of Red Wing 2963 Copper Yuma Leather (http://www.revolvecl...?code=REDW-MZ38
)
I don´t know how to care them because this model doesn´t appear on the red wing care website, Could anyoune help me?

Can I use leather cleaner + mustang paste?

Thanks!!!
I was also unsure how to care for my 2963's, so I emailed Red Wing and they suggested their mink oil to condition the Yuma leather.

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score
I really cannot say what caused it, it could be many things but I doubt the fit could have caused it. To get the spot out try lexol leather cleaner and/or saddle soap. If that does not work you could try acetone, but i would not recommend treating such a minor blemish with such a harsh product, as it could strip the colour. If you cant get it out with the lexol or the saddle soap, I would just leave it and try not to let it bother you.

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score
I really cannot say what caused it, it could be many things but I doubt the fit could have caused it. To get the spot out try lexol leather cleaner and/or saddle soap. If that does not work you could try acetone, but i would not recommend treating such a minor blemish with such a harsh product, as it could strip the colour. If you cant get it out with the lexol or the saddle soap, I would just leave it and try not to let it bother you.
I would recommend against using saddle soap. Saddle soap is actually a pretty strong (harsh?) cleaner that I think is too often recommended for something of this magnitude. If found this out the hard way when I cleaned something off of a toe of my then new-ish Beckmans in Chestnut, and it actually wore right through the outer layer of leather...causing significant discoloration when oiling or obenaufing the boots. Now that they're beat up, it's not as noticeable...but aesthetics aside, it strikes me as overkill.

Lexol would be a much better bet.

Kerrick

Reaction score

Regarding the leather insoles on Red Wings, how much do they mold to your feet? I have high arches and slightly wide feet, so they're not really comfortable when I try them on in the shop. Do they break in (and sink in) to become significantly more comfortable? Does the sole material factor into this, or do they all have the same sort of footbed?

This sounds a lot like me too!

Supposing I get a pair of Iron Rangers in an 8ish (iirc what my RW engineers are) that's good length and width-wise, but a little cramped at the top of the arch, should I go up a half size? Go out a width? Suck it up and hope it stretches? I've had some really persistent issues in other boots with the seam of the tongue pressing really badly through the latter part of the day, to give some idea of about where on my foot is problematic.

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score

I would recommend against using saddle soap.  Saddle soap is actually a pretty strong (harsh?) cleaner that I think is too often recommended for something of this magnitude.  If found this out the hard way when I cleaned something off of a toe of my then new-ish Beckmans in Chestnut, and it actually wore right through the outer layer of leather...causing significant discoloration when oiling or obenaufing the boots.  Now that they're beat up, it's not as noticeable...but aesthetics aside, it strikes me as overkill.

Lexol would be a much better bet.

There is quite a debate on whether saddle soap is actually bad for leather. Many people argue that since it is somewhat alkaline it throws off leather's preffered slightly acidic PH. That being said I personally use fiebings saddle soap it on many of my own leather goods and really like the results. It really works out water marks and makes it more supple. I am quite suprised that you have had those issues with it. Just curious, which brand saddle soap did you use? And did you use it with water?

Oh and just a side note there also is pure glycerine saddle soap, which is not alkaline and is much less harsh then other saddle soaps.

cathpah

Reaction score
There is quite a debate on whether saddle soap is actually bad for leather. Many people argue that since it is somewhat alkaline it throws off leather's preffered slightly acidic PH. That being said I personally use fiebings saddle soap it on many of my own leather goods and really like the results. It really works out water marks and makes it more supple. I am quite suprised that you have had those issues with it. Just curious, which brand saddle soap did you use? And did you use it with water?

Oh and just a side note there also is pure glycerine saddle soap, which is not alkaline and is much less harsh then other saddle soaps.
It was Allen Edmonds saddle soap, and I did indeed use water. I'm not completely against saddle soap, but I think it should be saved for more extreme needs.

While I'm certainly not a chemist, I don't think it was the ph change that did it....moreso the abrasive qualities. It was no longer shiny/smooth like the rest of the leather, but was instead matte and more porous.

For reference, here's the boots I'm referring to, directly after I had saddle soaped and then applied obenaufs. I've obenaufed other Beckmans and had zero issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads