• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended Sports Coats/brands under $500??

cRise

Reaction score
Greetings SF!

I just had a quick question in regards to sports coats and/or blazers?
My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and wanted to treat myself out.
I have never owned a sports coat so I am very excited. I did some research here and found a few that I liked, however they were too expensive. (Versace,etc)

I am looking for a good quality/brand that is around $500.
Personally I am a fan of hugo boss, HOWEVER i understand the coats/blazers are fused, and not canvassed.
Are there any good brands/coats for around $500 that are canvassed that SF recommends? It was hard for me to find them, since I am lean and I am not a fan of those box type sports coats/blazers.

I am looking for a modern slim fit/extra slim fit.
I will probably wear from with some sort of boots (clarks maybe?), and jeans (light/dark depending on my dress shirt).

Again, thank you for reading this and for your time.
Cheers~!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suitsupply. Half canvas, not full, but half is much better than fused- essentially, it's canvased in the parts of the jacket where it matters, and fused where it doesn't, and absent some online made to measure made in china with unpredictable results, half canvas is the best you're going to get for $500. And it's pretty good, make no mistake. Suitsupply also has a lot of aggressively slim fits, which should work for you quite nicely.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you searching for a sports coat the retails for $500? Or something on sale for $500, but retails for much more?

On sale you can easy find a full canvas sports coat. If lucky, you find a full canvas suit.:sneaky2:

cRise

Reaction score
Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any sports coat (preferably black) that's slim fit.

I saw a hugo boss (fused of course) but on sale for $300. Not sure if it's worth it.. It's retailing online/store for $500 tho.

Any name brands with canvassed coats around $500? that's black

and thanks cptjeff.. These coats look nice. How do you like this http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-navy-plain/C680.html?start=6&cgid=Jackets

Sports coats are not black. A black suit when not at a funeral is bad enough, but a black SC is just not on.

Hugo Boss is not ever worth it. I have an intimate knowledge of their product range, through years working with them, and you find equal quality in bottom-end brands. Almost everything has at least 10% polly or nylon composition and the cloths are so delicate that they wear out within about 6 months. Stay away.

I don't mean to be offensive, but the brands you need will not be Name Brands to you. Almost all fashion brands (and 100% at your price range) will be of low quality. On SF you will find smaller brands, or ones without the pop-culture associations that produce products hundreds of times better than fashion brands, but you will not be able to show the label to your friends.

Capri

Reaction score
Brooks is still having their 30% corporate discount today which drops most of their their sport coats below $500. I will also echo SuitSupply and throw in JCrew as well.

If you have a Dillards nearby, you could wait for their 40% off sales. I saw a Hickey Freeman silk/linen sport coat already dropped down to $320 with an additional 40% off just a couple of weeks ago.

Hart Schaffner Marx sport coats might retail under $500. Only their made in the USA line is half-canvassed I believe.

Bottom Line: Since you like the Hugo Boss cut/style, my best bet for you would be J Crew. Half-canvassed, slim, Italian/British fabrics and within your budget even at retail.

cRise

Reaction score
Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

btw, blackhood, why does tihs say color is black and sports coat?
http://store-us.hugoboss.com/'Allin...n_US,pd.html&cgid=421002#!i=6&color=001_Black

is that a blazer? sorry for the dumb question

Blackhood's point was probably (apologies if I am mistaken) that there is no place in a well dressed man's wardrobe for a black sport coat, not that nobody makes them. If you look hard enough, you can find pretty much any abomination that you could possibly dream up. I realize that sounds a bit snarky, but it's important to realize that there are a lot of things one can buy that one probably should not. Navy will look much better than black in a casual context, IMO.

As to your question on sport coats vs. blazers, a blazer is generally some shade of navy and generally has metal buttons. Pretty much anything that is not a navy blazer (maybe a green blazer if you have one the Masters) is a sport coat. There are even navy sport coats. I would not go clubbing in a jacket of any kind personally, though I'd probably pick a more casual sport coat than a blazer if I was wearing jeans. If the club was a bit dressy for jeans, I'd go with the blazer.

For the money, especially if you get it on sale, the JCrew blazer isn't bad. It's lapels are a bit on the slim and fashion forward side but this matters less if you are wearing it clubbing. The Hugo Boss cotton sport coat in black you linked to is awful; I can't think of a color that will fade faster in cotton than black.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea that sportscoat is ugly.......Hugo Boss isn't THAT BAD. I just wouldn't pay retail for it. I've have like 2 HB jackets that I purchased from outlets for less than $300,which I feel isn't a bad deal

cRise

Reaction score
Yeah I agree.. I wish HB made all canvassed, or at least partial canvassed. Maybe in the future.
I have to say tho, HB definitely makes really good looking clothing, especially for tall lean people.

So I think I will go for the J.Crew and suitsupply.
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~03814/03814.jsp?srcCode=AFFI00001&siteId=J84DHJLQkR4-i0DKLniUZ3vFJz4NXb7p8

That looks alright for SF's point of view right? The gold button doesn't seem too off does it? haha

Thanks for all the help so far!

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because it's a "blazer," the gold buttons are okay - but not worn as tightly as on the model. Buttons could always be changed if displeased. Try on before buying, please.

marmot8

Reaction score
Like the Jcrew but what's the consensus on the lack of flaps on the the front pockets? Never seen that before, though I admit I don't know much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads