• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations on buying first pair of good dress shoes

cbsteven

Reaction score
I have a confession. My dress shoes are square toed Kenneth Coles. Actually, this is my second pair. The first pair was from their "reaction" line, which fell apart. I thought I' be smart and upgrade to their "New York" line ($180ish). They have held up better, but are also beginning to fall apart.

I want to repent.

My black one button peak lapel suit is in the mail from Thick as Thieves. I'm going to wear it to my sister's wedding in July. I just ordered a new shirt and tie from Brooks Brothers. I'm looking to get a new pair of shoes to wear as well. Black, obviously. I'd also like to get something that I can wear with jeans and a dress shirt when I go out on the town. I don't wear a suit for work, only for the occasional event or if I want to look extra special going out.

I assume I'm going to be spending $250-350. I do want something a bit fashion forward.. the Aldens and AEs I see mentioned on the site so frequently seem a bit too "stuffy" for my tastes. I do like this one, though:
The Shoe Mart AE Delray. I just wish they had a picture of it in black.

Also, I wear a size 14 US (6'4"). I'm 26 years old.

Any pearls of wisdom, or specific shoe recommendations?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have access to an off 5th or a rack, you might find some decent To Boot NY on sale for $150 or so. They are not worth full price, but you might find a style you like.

Also, if you live near a barney's, they are having a sale now and some of their house brand shoes may be on sale for around $200.

Neither of these are welted; both are blake stitched....but they will last much longer than KColes which are glued together.

THere is also Charles Thyrwitt, although I have never owned their shoes, and have heard mixed reviews. I believe they are low-line Loakes...welted with so-so leather.

For my money, I'd try to find a pair of AE that you like... but that's just me.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
THere is also Charles Thyrwitt, although I have never owned their shoes, and have heard mixed reviews. I believe they are low-line Loakes...welted with so-so leather.

They're actually top-line Loakes, it's just that even the best Loakes aren't all that top-line. Inferior to AE, in terms of overall quality.

Brooks is having its seasonal sale right now, so many of the shoes are in your price range. Here's a plain black captoe that's less stodgy than AE's Park Ave:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black

You could go with a Chelsea boot to match the TaT vibe:

A pair similar to the Delray:

cbsteven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Here's the Delray in black: http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5...t_id=EC1011027
Thanks for the link. I do like those shoes. I just noticed that Shoe Mart only has the 14/Black in a 3E width, which I'm sure is too wide for me. Shoes.com has them in a 15/D, which might fit depending on how they run. Do AE's run true to size generally? Brooks Bros. appears to have a max of size 13. Ran into the same issue with Ferragamo. As a 14 I'm just beyond the size run of many manufacturers.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc, Are those BB boots Alfred Sargent? I am tempted at that price, even though I wouldn't wear them until next year. I've had my eye on a pair of Weston chelseas, but I'm not sure I'm ready for the spend considering I want them for jeans... and then there's the C&J Polos that seem to have disappeared
frown.gif
I also want to hit the Michigan Ave. store this week and pick up that real horn shoe horn for $36.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow you get big points for admitting to KC in your second sentence.
smile.gif

that said, you are very limited in your selection if you wear a true 14. Have you tried on these dress shoes? I would bet you can fit into some 13US, and even more 13 UKs but im not sure

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

Brooks is having its seasonal sale right now, so many of the shoes are in your price range. Here's a plain black captoe that's less stodgy than AE's Park Ave:

Why the hell are they calling this shoe a blucher? The picture is obviously an oxford.
But a very nice basic dress shoe. If you want something formal, this is a very good choice.
But if you want something which you can also wear with jeans etc., I would definitely go for the chelseas Doc suggested. If your ancles are covered, no one can really tell whether you're wearing wholecuts or chelseas... I also think that it would go excellently well with the TaT suit.
In short, an oxford would be right, a chelsea terrific (in my view).

cbsteven

Reaction score
Hmm, now I'm on the hunt for some nice chelsea's in my size. Shoe Mart has some Alden chukka's, but I'm not so sure about them..
Shoe Mart Alden Chukka

Also, I just got an email from Brooks Bros. that the tie I ordered I out of stock (extra-long black). Anyone know off hand a place that sells a high quality extra-long tie?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbsteven
What about these? A. Testoni Chelsea's at Zappos Is this a good brand? Seems a bit silly to me to buy a $400 pair of shoes with a rubber sole, though.
Testoni is a good brand, but they have different lines. The Black Label and Almeda (sp?) Testoni Signature are the better ones, the latter featuring a bolognese construction. I can't tell from the picture which line those are from. I, personally, am not a fan of the soles on those, especially the way it has a logo on the outside of the heel, but....to each his own. The AE Taunton on sale at shoe mart is a great looking shoe.....although I'm afraid it's difficult to make anything look sleek in a size 14. I'm just jealous 'cuz I want to be tall
smile.gif

Taylormade

Reaction score
Wow...check this thread out.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=36344

I went through the exact same process. AE and Alden are not fashion forward enough. You'll see I get flamed quite abit for stating I liked the design of Kenneth Cole but needed shoes that fit properly.

I just went to my local AE store and tried on over 15 different models, especially the ones that are 25% off right now, and I didn't like any of them. I don't like the profiles of the shoes...just too boring and conservative.

What I have found that I like the most and available here in Orlando are Ferragamos. I bought my 1st pair at their outlet store for $199. I tried on a few more pair at a regular Ferragamo store and found the look and fit to be perfect...just not the >$400 pricing. I'm watching ebay and the outlet for more deals. The Off 5th does have To Boot New York as someone mentioned above but the quality definitely isn't anywhere close to the AEs, Ferragamos, etc. A better alternative though to KC at the outlet price.

The Testoni's are a very attractive shoe as well and I have a feeling that at size 14, the Italian shoes will look less clunky and stuffy

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now that Taylormade mentions Italian shoes, how far up does Martegani sizing go? They might meet your needs, cb, though the price is a bit above your stated range. You might check out some of the styles at Francos.com (under Romano Martegani), and if any strike your fancy, you could PM Rider here. He's Martegani's U.S. rep, and could tell you if they can handle your size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads