• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for a simple, white faced watch?

my_alias

Reaction score
I prefer the Stowa to the chopard. I find that Chopard too flashy. The Stowa really is an affordable and quality watch, I can't recommend it enough. Shame it's german and not swiss for the extra respect
smile.gif
*I have still never looked into the Seiko watches. I don't understand the huge respect they seem to have gained on here.. In england you can find them in every mid-ranged jewelry shop. Is it jsut because they are such an affordable automatic? Maybe I should go and check them out

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
How big is your wrist? I have a 6-3/8" wrist. - Keith
6-3/4". I admit I've never tried a Stowa on, but I tend to shy away from IWC-sized watches.

Dexx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by my_alias
I prefer the Stowa to the chopard. I find that Chopard too flashy.

The Stowa really is an affordable and quality watch, I can't recommend it enough. Shame it's german and not swiss for the extra respect
smile.gif

*I have still never looked into the Seiko watches. I don't understand the huge respect they seem to have gained on here.. In england you can find them in every mid-ranged jewelry shop. Is it jsut because they are such an affordable automatic? Maybe I should go and check them out

Seiko simply builds quality and affordable watches. The Seiko movements are as good as any ETA movement which are used by most of the other companies. But these companies ask for such high prices for a relative cheap movement (even with elabore or cosc standards!) that it isn't justifiable to spend $ 3k or more on a watch. You only pay for the brand and being able to show off. Beside this, there are some Japanese market Seikos that are very expensive as well.

my_alias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexx
Seiko simply builds quality and affordable watches. The Seiko movements are as good as any ETA movement which are used by most of the other companies. But these companies ask for such high prices for a relative cheap movement (even with elabore or cosc standards!) that it isn't justifiable to spend $ 3k or more on a watch. You only pay for the brand and being able to show off. Beside this, there are some Japanese market Seikos that are very expensive as well.

Thanks, it's nice to know they are well respected here for their construction and not some craze
smile.gif

They really are everywhere, so i'll have a look next time I walk past

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
6-3/4". I admit I've never tried a Stowa on, but I tend to shy away from IWC-sized watches.

The Antea's come in a bit smaller so might work better for you: 39mm or 36mm. For 350 Euros, the Antea Creme has to one of the best value watches around (though with a creme rather than white face, obviously).

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the recommendations
smile.gif

IWC might be 100 times the price, but the portofino is BEAUTIFUL
I'm not a fan of the Portofino (btw, the reason the Inge I posted costs as much as it does is because it's a limited edition of 500 made of platinum).

Speaking of IWC, why is it that the newer designs are getting crappier and crappier? For instance, if you disregard the $38.000 one from the Vintage Collection that I posted in the opening post, there are no classicaly styled Inges in the current line up. And the older Aquatimer that PG has (had?) looks better than any of the new ones. And of the Pilot's watches, the Mark XV was much better than the Mark XVI. I guess that's a rant for another time
plain.gif

But if it was possible to get, I'd really like this one:

iwcmarkxvface1.jpg

Have you seen Stova watches?They are a bit thicker but a nice plain face.

Originally Posted by dv_indian
That Seiko on the left looks great.
Have you looked at the Stowa Antea?

Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
The Stowa's are very nice. I'd go for the Marine though:
As for Stowa, none of their white faced models really sing to me (but the no-logo flieger is on my 'maybe someday' list).

Originally Posted by acidboy
JLC
I like the design, but not the silver face.

Seiko Spirit SCVS013 has been discontinued so you'd have to go second hand (excuse the pun)
I'd rather buy new, but the SCVS130 is really close to what I'm envisioning.

Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
A Nomos Orion White perhaps?
Like so.

I like that a lot, though the sub dial goes against what I was planning.

Originally Posted by blazingazn
my go to dress watch is Skagen.
It's not very patriotic of me, but I don't like Skagen watches (Skagen town on the other hand, is very beautiful). For a Danish design, I like this one much better.

Originally Posted by the_sartorialist
If your budget allows it, I would put forward the IWC Portuguese.
I think that some of the Portuguese models are really nice, but none of them have the aesthetic I'm looking for for this specific purpose.

Originally Posted by the_sartorialist
Alternatively, there's also this:My vintage Omega.
Nice. I also really like this:

Seeing all the recommendations have certainly helped me hone in on what it is I'm looking for. It probably doesn't exist, but I'll list the features I'd like:

Between 36 and 40mm case in brushed steel
White face (or very slightly yellowed or silvery)
No yellow metal
No complications, ideally just hours, minutes and central seconds
Preferably no numerals, but just markings for the hours and minutes
Not too precious (think a basic everyday watch, not a fine dress watch)

Actually, if this had no date, a brushed case and no or better writing on the lower half (and was still available) it would be perfect:

s_scvs013a.jpg

Lost case?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seiko Spirit SCVS013 has been discontinued so you'd have to go second hand (excuse the pun)

Wow, discontinued. I'm glad I picked one up about 2 months ago. It's a really elegant watch.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread. Been trying to decide between the basic Portuguese in white face gold vs. silver face blue hands and numerals. Thoughts?

025.jpg

IWCPortuguese_front8.jpg

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Good thread. Been trying to decide between the basic Portuguese in white face gold vs. silver face blue hands and numerals. Thoughts?
Man, that is a tough call. I say wear the gold from April through October, and the silver the other five months.
smile.gif
Honestly, I couldn't say which I like better. Maybe leaning towards the blued hands. - Keith

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I prefer the second one, but that may be just because I don't really like anything gold-colored.

Like some of the other posters, I also love the Nomos Tangente and the Junghans Chronoscope. I will probably buy one of these in the future as my dress watch (currently only own sportier ones).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads