• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a safe

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a spinoff of my home security thread, does anyone have a recommendation for a safe? Something the size of a bankers box would be sufficient. Just for important documents and jewelry and other miscellaneous personal stuff (but not for guns). Looking for the best value here, it doesn't have to be the top of the line super impenetrable/crackproof. I imagine it's going to be heavy, so if you know if a B&M chain carries it, please list that as well.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
As a spinoff of my home security thread, does anyone have a recommendation for a safe? Something the size of a bankers box would be sufficient. Just for important documents and jewelry and other miscellaneous personal stuff (but not for guns). Looking for the best value here, it doesn't have to be the top of the line super impenetrable/crackproof. I imagine it's going to be heavy, so if you know if a B&M chain carries it, please list that as well.

I can't recomend a specific safe, but I can say this - you aren't really worried about safecrackers with explosives etc. you are looking to keep people from smashing it with a large hammer, or carrying it off so that they can try to break it later. I would highly recomend getting one that is big enough to fit a 2-3 20 pound weight plates into, while leaving room for your stuff. the added weight, plus the weight of the safe, should make it heavy enough so that people won't want to try to get it out to their car.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's my understanding as well. When my apartment got broken into, the thieves didn't even take my TV. Well, it was a ****** TV, but also probably too unwieldy to carry out.

I also assumed a safe would be secured somehow to the floor or wall.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Yes, that's my understanding as well. When my apartment got broken into, the thieves didn't even take my TV. Well, it was a ****** TV, but also probably too unwieldy to carry out.

I also assumed a safe would be secured somehow to the floor or wall.

I think GT's solution is better. Unless you're pouring concrete, securing the safe to your floor or walls is pretty useless as it can easily be pried free.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold bullion will have to suffice.
Anyone have any recs or what? Should I just go to home depot or something?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an Amsec. I'm guessing it's about 2'x2'x1.5' or so. I comes equipped to be secured into the slab. I have mine in a closet bolted into the slab. Had the safe company come out and install it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It depends on how secure you want to go. We've had a Sentry safe for several years, for basic security but also for fire protection. Take a look here for some options. Ours could be carried off if someone really wanted to; it looks like this:

http://www.sentrysafe.com/images/pro...ils/DS3310.jpg

We've moved a fair bit so it's something we can also take with us. Check Home Depot or Lowe's, although we ordered ours.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW, we had a safe broken in to when we had our hotel. Unless you're going to spend on a serious safe, make sure it's well-hidden. Those home depot types are pretty crappy imo. If you can carry it, it is useless.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is good info regarding the tape media. I do design work and have been thinking about protecting my CDs and backup tapes in case of accident.

Has anyone heard of a safe that essentially protects an external HD. So I could keep the HD in the safe in the office and have the data copied right to it. I know there would possibly be an airflow issue and maybe issue with the cording but I thought there might be some solution for it.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to close a safe if the cords are running out of it so that's not an option.

Sentry makes an external hard drive with a fire/water proof case. It's not cheap and your are limited to their relatively small hard drive sizes (which made them useless for us) but they do offer a data recovery service that goes along with it.

UL125 rated safes are EXPENSIVE so another option may be to buy a "standard" safe and get a small UL125 rated lock-box and store it inside. Fireking also makes a device called a "turtle" it's a special UL125 rated container than fits inside of a lateral filing cabinet.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
You won't be able to close a safe if the cords are running out of it so that's not an option.

Sentry makes an external hard drive with a fire/water proof case. It's not cheap and your are limited to their relatively small hard drive sizes (which made them useless for us) but they do offer a data recovery service that goes along with it.

UL125 rated safes are EXPENSIVE so another option may be to buy a "standard" safe and get a small UL125 rated lock-box and store it inside. Fireking also makes a device called a "turtle" it's a special UL125 rated container than fits inside of a lateral filing cabinet.

Or, you could just back-up offsite.... Even if you don't use an online service, standard practice for backups is to keep them separated from whatever you're backing up. You can use a safety deposit at the bank, or if you backup files at home, bring the backup to the office. I have my backups transfered automatically to my office.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix

I went to the Sentry site and most say they have between 1/2hr to 2hr cd and media protection for fires. Is this the UL protection you are talking about? The smaller ones seem to be reasonably priced in the $100-200 range.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Or, you could just back-up offsite.... Even if you don't use an online service, standard practice for backups is to keep them separated from whatever you're backing up. You can use a safety deposit at the bank, or if you backup files at home, bring the backup to the office. I have my backups transfered automatically to my office.

Sure, offsite is best but it shouldn't be your ONLY form of backup either....

Amazon's JungleDisk service allows for offsite storage at a rate of 18 cents a gig. I upload an 18GB database backup to them every night but I zip it down to under 2GB first. I've also used eSilo before and they offer their own compression and incremental/differential upload methods. A graphic designer's data, even compressed, is still going to be significantly larger and the limitation of offsite of course is the reliability and speed of your Internet connection. Retrieving 20GB of backups after a data loss will take HOURS over a cable modem... can you afford to wait?

At my current company we keep 24 hours worth of data backed up to alternate DRS servers and have a 3-month tape rotation for the databases. The databases are also what I upload to JungleDisk. The email and file servers are backed up to external drives and stored in fireproof safes.

I also do permanent month-end, quarter-end and year-end backups of most services and store them off site on tape and DVD. This is mostly for financial and legal reasons but they have come in handy more than once.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads