• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a cheap, reliable car

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im selling my BMW 335i tomorrow via private party, and I havent decided what Im going to replace it with, so I need a cheap temporary car in the mean time.

Criteria:
cheap (<15k, but sub-10k would be preferable)
reliable
no more than a few years old

It would be nice if it would hold its value well so I can minimize the loss when I sell/trade it, but thats not my primary concern.

What cars should I be looking at?

Benzito

Reaction score
Honda Accord. Sedan over the coupe for resale, but vice versa if you want to be a bit more &quot;cool&quot; driving one of the best-selling cars of all time.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
Honda Accord. Sedan over the coupe for resale, but vice versa if you want to be a bit more "cool" driving one of the best-selling cars of all time.
+1. Honda Accord was the first car I thought of.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 votes for Hondas. I was thinking Hyundai or possibly VW, but Honda definitely works.

Still open for recs.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4 year old Toyota Corolla. Camry can be had even cheaper.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Camry may be a better buy right now. By the time you sell it in 2-3 years all the anti-toyota sentiment will have waned.

Any horror stories with the 335i? Or warranty run out? (I'd be terrified of a 335i out of warranty).

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Camry may be a better buy right now. By the time you sell it in 2-3 years all the anti-toyota sentiment will have waned.

Any horror stories with the 335i? Or warranty run out? (I'd be terrified of a 335i out of warranty).

Well I hopefully wont be driving this car for 2-3 years. Just long enough to find a car i love, which will probably be a z4M coupe. But I will look at Camrys as well. Thanks.

You got it - my 4yr warranty is up in a few months. I absolutely love the car, but theres no way Im driving it out of warranty. In 3.5 years Ive gone through a fuel pump, injectors, a turbo, a coil pack, and had numerous software issues. Not horrible for a first model year, but not exactly reassuring.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
Well I hopefully wont be driving this car for 2-3 years. Just long enough to find a car i love, which will probably be a z4M coupe. But I will look at Camrys as well. Thanks.

You got it - my 4yr warranty is up in a few months. I absolutely love the car, but theres no way Im driving it out of warranty. In 3.5 years Ive gone through a fuel pump, injectors, a turbo, a coil pack, and had numerous software issues. Not horrible for a first model year, but not exactly reassuring.

I like the looks of the current Camry, and I know that they're very reliable as I have family members who swear by them. Good deals are available on them right now.

kmwrestle

Reaction score
You should be able to get an 07 camry with like 40k miles for under 13k if you look around .....the market has really dropped on them....if the market rebounds, you could actually drive it for a year sell it and make money.

07 Hyandai Elantra can be had for under 10k pretty easily

atulhost

Reaction score
I would recommend Toyota Camry.
bigstar[1].gif
The best place in the world to rest
musicboohoo[1].gif
is Toyota's Backseat.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Honda Civic/Accord or Toyota Camry/Corolla is the way to go. Ill look at the Elantra, too.

Thanks.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Corolla if gas is gonna go to $4-$5 a gallon it gets 40MPG.

Nissan Maxima's are nice.

Chevy Impala's seem nice.

Honda Accord is a reliable choice.

What about just a regular 325i? Non-turbo, just the old straight 6 that lasts forever and a bullet proof 5 speed?

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
You could always lease something new for 2-3 yrs if you don't drive too much, a lot of the cars mentioned may have $200/mo lease with minimal downpayment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads