• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reason for tie dimples?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strangely, most voters/Americans do not like their political representatives to "dress to well", i.e., dimple in tie, well fitted suit with shirt cuff-showing, elegant shoes, that type of stuff. Too dandy, fussy.

We like the politicians to be down to earth, to project that hometown boy/girl vibe, something trustworthy, even though deep down we all know that they are scumbags, each and everyone of them.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chris Dodd and John Edwards dimple. I bet Arlen Specter does too.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
To make up for the lack of those on each side of your face.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Strangely, most voters/Americans do not like their political representatives to "dress to well", i.e., dimple in tie, well fitted suit with shirt cuff-showing, elegant shoes, that type of stuff. Too dandy, fussy.

We like the politicians to be down to earth, to project that hometown boy/girl vibe, something trustworthy, even though deep down we all know that they are scumbags, each and everyone of them.

Exactly. I think it may also have to do with the tradition of rejecting leaders (the monarchy) that were entirely preoccupied with appearances, and the sort of "humble politician" ideal that we eat up and politicians love to feed us. There's a large chunk of America that distrusts wealth, and the stylists know it, even though the vast majority of our upper-level politicians are rich by almost any standard.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Exactly. I think it may also have to do with the tradition of rejecting leaders (the monarchy) that were entirely preoccupied with appearances, and the sort of "humble politician" ideal that we eat up and politicians love to feed us. There's a large chunk of America that distrusts wealth, and the stylists know it, even though the vast majority of our upper-level politicians are rich by almost any standard.

Which is why dubya was able to market the idea that he was "˜a Washington outsider', when of course nothing could be further from the truth.

Jon.

JR88

Reaction score

If it's true (and it probably is) that he's not dimpling because his people are telling him that John Q. Jacksonian doesn't like it, then why spend 3000 on a suit?

Maybe buying nice suits is W's way of rebelling against his handlers. I bet he likes wearing nice clothes and secretly wishes he could dimple.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88
If it's true (and it probably is) that he's not dimpling because his people are telling him that John Q. Jacksonian doesn't like it, then why spend 3000 on a suit?

Maybe buying nice suits is W's way of rebelling against his handlers. I bet he likes wearing nice clothes and secretly wishes he could dimple.

Or maybe he is more comfortable on the "˜ranch' and wishes he could shed all those suits forever?

Jon.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Vast majority"?

I would say ALL of them scumbags are rich, by almost any standards.

If they were not rich going in, they sure are rolling in dough while incumbent, and certainly after they've finished their terms.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
"Vast majority"?

I would say ALL of them scumbags are rich, by almost any standards.

If they were not rich going in, they sure are rolling in dough while incumbent, and certainly after they've finished their terms.

How do you figure? Why in 2004, you could vote for a multimillionaire from Yale or a multimillionaire from Yale.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
How do you figure? Why in 2004, you could vote for a multimillionaire from Yale or a multimillionaire from Yale.

Well, at least we get to choose from the full spectrum of American society. I mean, who better to represent everyone than multimillionaires that went to Yale. I mean that's a pretty diverse group, right, right?

Jon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88
Is there a historical explanation for dimpling a tie? Or not? I notice that current President Bush never dimples his tie, and never even looks like he's trying to. Why? He has very nice suits (http://www.ebbitt.com/main/home.cfm?...gory=Newsroom). Someone probably tells him not to dimple.
I'm surprised he can even tie it
whistlesx2.gif

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ

Well c'mon, in all fairness the two multi-millionaires that were the VP candidates didn't go to Yale . . . did they?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhaacai0ne88