• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real World Personal Finance Advice For 21 Year Old

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summary: streamline your expenses.

I save about 30-35% a month. Spend where you can but don't scrimp on the little stuff.

By that I mean don't be a complete Scrooge. Offer to pick up the tab once in a while etc.

It pays off in the long run

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All very good points above. Don't spend more than you earn is key. Credit card debt is the worst thing to get saddled with. Also, live in a city that you like and have the ability to stay employed in your chosen field. Then...BUY property young. We wasted so much money on exorbitant rent in the greater boston area in my 20's. I easily could have bought a condo and have built some equity for the same monthly outlay. In retrospect it was a wasted decade.

Granted it's harder today to get a mortgage than it was in 1995 when I was 25 but it's certainly doable. If I knew then what I know now...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Test the waters with a few credit card companies, go for the one that will approve you for the highest limit. Max it out within 2 weeks. Maxing it out very quickly shows creditors that you're confident in your spending capabilities. From this point on, you'll want to go duck, hurdle and dodge a series of financial barriers (often referred to as "laws") designed to trip up the average consumer. If you haven't done at least 3 balance transfers on your credit card in the first 18 months, you are doing something wrong. Nothing is more useless than idle cash - so letting precious dollars collect dust in a checking or savings account is a classic mistake.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I recommend Iwillteachyoutoberich.com. I have mixed feelings about the "earn more money" portion (it has good advice but it is also a sales pitch), but the personal finance stuff is all gold. One of the principles is to do exactly the opposite of what a previous poster said. Pay yourself first with automatic savings systems, then spend the money that's left on whatever makes you happy. Don't worry about saving money by using horrible toilet paper. This is styleforum after all. That brand of thrift doesn't mesh with $400 shoes.

He's got a book too: http://www.amazon.com/Will-Teach-You-Be-Rich/dp/0761147489

His current focus on the blog has moved towards earning more which is really all a sales pitch for his freelancing on the side instructional program. This content actually seems pretty good if you are interested, but the really good stuff is in the book and the blog archives.

His advice is all for 20-somethings and is focused on getting a system setup by which you no longer have to worry. He doesn't chastise you for spending money on things you like, even if others might think it a waste (so expensive shoes are acceptable purchases). I started reading his blog right before I finished college (probably just before my senior year started) and I think that it has done great things for me.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save money. Save money. Save money.

For investing I'd recommend these books:

The Little Book that Still Beats the Market
provides a good overview on a relatively easy / safe approach on investing.

and

The Little Book of Value Investing
which is a much easier read than Graham's Intelligent Investor and a bit more up to date imo.

Also read through Investopedia and WSJ/FT for a bit more background on money.

chas

Reaction score
Most important advice I would give to a 21 year old is stay out of debt! You may have to live paycheck to paycheck for a few years...that is ok. Just don't spend money you don't have. That way, as your income increases you will be able to save and not have to dig out of a hole just to get back to even.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a job any job after college even if it isn't your dream job and save everything like some stereotypical miser. Buy rental properties, then enjoy.

You won't miss out on much; most twenty somethings just go out and binge drink and then eat late night at Denny's or some ****.

Last edited:

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

Get a job any job after college even if it isn't your dream job and save everything like some stereotypical miser. Buy rental properties, then enjoy.

You won't miss out on much; most twenty somethings just go out and binge drink and then eat late night at Denny's or some ****.

I tried getting on this train when I was 18. Tried getting my grandfather to purchase a house/houses for me. my initial plan was to attend a university far away from where I live (housing is much cheaper) and live in the house alone for the duration of my studies. while I was living there, I would work on converting the house into a rental house for students so that when I was out of school, I would have a steady stream of income. My grandfather didn't go for it.....:plain:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

papa kot

Reaction score
Stay out of debt and live a little. You're at this age when investing in experiences, as opposed to investing in things, will pay off dramatically in the future.

Oh, and don't forget to wrap it. Unplanned babies won't be good for either your account or your soul.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads