• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balding at 22 years of age, so I shaved my head. Need advice on 'maturing' my sense of style

seanf999

Reaction score
I've been going bald for sometime now.. Buzzing it was long over due.
I went for 2mm all over (thinking it was a 2 guard).

I like how it looks, I'll probably look better when it grows out and darkens a little bit but it's fine for now.

My main issue now is I look out of place in my own clothes..

I keep it simple.
Black or mid wash skinny jeans (hugging my thigh).
slim fitting everything.
T-shirt, black, white or grey.
Some type of hoodie, usually branded - Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein etc, overhead and zip up.
For shoes it's black or these dusty blue old skool vans.. I also have a pair of black Ultraboosts for a few years back.
I've also started wearing more sweaters, basic greys and this beigey, cream colour one.. plus a chunky stone Island one in grey.

I don't know, I just feel a little weird in what I'm wearing.

That being said I'm not going to just start wearing Oxfords and button downs..
I'm still in college, it's all quite casual, and I'd like to keep it that way but just a little more 'matured'
Any advice?

offshoremm

Reaction score
First, congrats on taking the leap and shaving your head. It will probably feel strange for a few weeks, or even months, but you will adapt to it eventually.

As for styling at age 22, of course this is going to be a personal thing. You've already determined that oxfords and buttons downs are not your style at this time, so how about trying to refine the types of items that you are already wearing? I don't know about your fit or size, but how about getting a nice pair of boots? Redwings, or something rugged but still with a bit of style and build quality. Cheaper options also available. Boots look good with almost any color jeans and a colorful plaid casual button down (layered over a dark t-shirt, top few buttons undone). You might try slim fit jeans to ween yourself out of skinny jeans (I strongly believe the trend will die out soon, if not already). Also, try a dark colored shawl neck knit sweater (if it isn't too hot where you are).

Get some cool sunglasses. Get some cool accessories. Step out of your safety zone, if only a little bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics