• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place Appreciation thread.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
You think that before that it had taken a tourne for the worse?
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
quick interjection here...

William-Sonoma has a sale on and I just wanted to ask if it's a good deal or not.

All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel French Skillet Set, the 9- and 11-inch pans for $130 (plus 13% tax)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Two AC pans for $130 is a terrific deal, be warned that the shape of the edges of a French skillet are not the same as a typical American fry pan (no rolled lip).

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that! I've got a set on hold near my work. Going to pick them up at lunch, and they're actually only $100

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
all-clad is like $800 here, mordecai, let's room and I will use your bedroom as an office while you're out at work.
redface.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Manton, I also have a set of Calphalon 1 (non-stick) pans, I think the same sized set so 9 and 11 inches. They also don't have that rolled lip and so far I find it a pain ********** because I can't properly toss the contents. Am I using the wrong technique for tossing or should I be using something to stir instead, or what?

also, if I have the above pans, will the AC's be redundant? I assume they're the two most useful sizes, and they're stainless versus non-stick.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Manton, I also have a set of Calphalon 1 (non-stick) pans, I think the same sized set so 9 and 11 inches. They also don't have that rolled lip and so far I find it a pain ********** because I can't properly toss the contents. Am I using the wrong technique for tossing or should I be using something to stir instead, or what?

also, if I have the above pans, will the AC's be redundant? I assume they're the two most useful sizes, and they're stainless versus non-stick.

You should not have trouble flipping; it's more an issue for pouring.

Yes, the All Clads will be redundant but then again they are better pans, so
shrug.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much better pans than Calphalon.

I'd go for traditional skillets however.

In fact all you need for direct heat cooking (imo) is a 12" fry pan and a 3 or 4qt saucier (in terms of AC.)

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
got excited, but after a little research am now unsure. maybe what i need is just a fry pan. i don't really like the idea of a skillet without a rounded transition from the surface to the sides.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
got excited, but after a little research am now unsure. maybe what i need is just a fry pan. i don't really like the idea of a skillet without a rounded transition from the surface to the sides.

Get the pan. It's the biggest staple... and All Clad is very good.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Correction...

I have a 9 and 11 inch Calphalon One series pans, they're non-stick surface, and have a lip that curves outward, which I find annoying for flipping. Plus they're not really all that 'non-stick' but it's a decent start.

These would be an upgrade in terms of quality, they're stainless so I assume they'll do searing better, and they have a regular curved inward edge which is better for flipping. and 2 for $100. I imagine that it'll be better for flipping and as long as i'm not pouring things out much, I don't see the problem. Plus I get more surface area.

based on that I'm thinking they're a good buy, but tell me if they're not, either because they're not a good deal, they're bad pans compared to non-french edge, or if they're redundant because of the sizes.

thanks.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
sorry, correction. I have a 9 and 11 inch Calphalon One series pans, they're non-stick surface, and have a lip that curves outward, which I find annoying for flipping. plus they're not really all that 'non-stick'. These would be an upgrade in terms of quality, they're stainless so I assume they'll do searing better, and they have a regular curved inward edge which is better for flipping. and 2 for $100. based on that I'm thinking they're a good buy, but tell me if they're not, either because they're not a good deal, they're bad pans compared to non-french edge, or if they're redundant because of the sizes. thanks.
I think any SS AC product will be an upgrade. For that price, you really should strongly consider it. I'd jump on that deal if I needed those pans. I might slightly question the need for two pans in such similar sizes, but you could just sell one of them after you figure out what's more useful to you. If I were you, I'd keep the smaller one and buy the 12" fry pan. It's good to have a second, smaller pan as well because sometimes you need two.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
The 12" d5 fry pan with lid is also on sale, for $130. Think I'll do that instead. Without the lid is $150. weird.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads