• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw denim (dark) or Pre-washed/distressed (light) jeans. What do you prefer?

streetfighter

Reaction score
So what do you guys wear more often than not? For me its raw denim all the way from Fall to Spring. Then in the summertime I'm all about Pre-washed light denim. So for the most part I like rocking dark raw denim. What about you guys?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya, except I chose my own washed denim thats broken in from the raw state over the, factory washings.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear raw or very dark denim, but a pair of light-colored jeans in the spring- and summertime can be awesome.

Cali

Reaction score
Dark denim for sure but washed can be necessary for the summer, or just switch to chinos.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Depends. I used to be all about washed denim, found this forum, thought raw was the only and best choice, and now I'm getting back into washed denim, but I understand fit and quality a lot more. Fit is everything.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depending on my mood, i like both types...i own more pairs of washed than dark, but i find lately i've been gravitating towards plainer styles.

cmrocks

Reaction score
My favorite is still washed denim in a medium blue. My RRDS are finally getting there after a year of wear and several washes.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i like the washed medium blue as well . that is my favorite color , but i do like the raw for its purposes of making your own custom wash over time.

but it seems like raw will take almost forever to fade and whisker (you have to wear it almost everyday for several years almost) i cant afford that , i only wear jeans on weekends and night and i have other jeans to work into the rotation as well.
so i only wear the raw for its color and crispiness

Mark C.

Reaction score
I've been working on a pair of Regular Ralphs for the past several months. I find the whole "project" aspect of raw jeans quite interesting; the fact that I'm creating this sick "wash".

While I like dark jeans (I alternate between my Reg Ralphs, 1 year rinse paperdenim&cloth, Levi's 501, and Diesel Zathans), what I like more is actually the look of the completed process of raw jeans, which really isn't dark but faded with nice whiskers and honey combes--this is the look that I most prefer.

With that said, I prefer either raw denim jeans or jeans with a really authentic looking wash; the wash has to look realistic.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This forum and SuFu fooled me into thinking raw was best. But you know, I am almost always more comfortable in a pair of washed. Go figure.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when your raw pair turn into your washed pair that is when you achieve victory...
wear the same pair for 1-2 years, but don't let them get destroyed, they will be soft, faded, lighter, and you can wear them instead of your "washed pair"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads