Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

sweet pea supernatant is perfect on its own in all its natural splendor.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Take tom yum soup. Add parmesan rind. Voila.

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Not exactly sure about the Parmigiano-DOP-rules, but are they allowed to apply natamycin to the cheese's rind? If so, I wouldn't throw it in a soup.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

My dad is heading out to San Fran. Any foodstuffs I should ask him to bring back? doggie bag from a meal with iammatt?

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i'm sure that was strictly accidental.
    but i'd say, yeah, even without the broad category of asian soups. i do love parm rind in a lot of soups, but it does have a very distinctive flavor. basically, i'd use a parm rind in any soup i'd finish with grated parm. others, no.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Googled a little and hardly found any information about natamycin and parmigiano. Only result was an article stating that Swiss laboratories tested parmigiano and didn't find natamycin. They found traces at grana padano.
    Here in Germany they have to write whether there's natamycin or not on the packaging - how about the US?

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i don't think he meant MSG as in an added ingredient. what he was implying was much more along the lines of "umami". same thing with mushrooms, etc.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Who are you talking to?

9. otc

otc Senior member

I was under the impression that parm had naturally occurring MSG?

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

without doing any recent homework on it, it's my understanding that it contains naturally occurring proteins that resemble msg and have much the same umami effect. that said, it is my understanding (based on reporting many years ago now), that the so-called MSG effect is linked to artificially derived MSG, at least by those who claim there is an effect at all.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ok, so this is definitely nerdy, but I figured this was the best place to ask it:

When cooking large amounts of meat in the oven - like 3-5lbs of chicken thighs for example, does the increase in volume effect the cooking time at all? For instance: say the package instructs 30 minutes at 400 degrees for one package of thighs (less than a pound), would this hold constant no matter how many thighs I cooked, or would I need to lengthen the time or increase the temperature to accomodate?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

it affects the cooking time some, but not dramatically. in this case, maybe 5 minutes at most? keep checking though.

13. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

^^ Also depends on how crowded the tray, pan or whatever cooking vessel you're using is.

14. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

is that even true?

here is my understanding of how the oven works: it has a thermostat. when the temp falls below the preset level, the oven "lights the fire," so to speak. I presume that most ovens are two-state; that is, they are either on (fire is heating the oven) or off (fire is not heating the oven, temp is theoretically held even, though of course you are losing heat to the food and also to the outside environment). There isn't a "halfway on" or "hold temp" state.

Larger things take longer because the heat has to "soak in" to the middle to fully cook the center, but multiples of equal size, while requiring more heat, will just mean that the oven is "on" for more of the same time period?

Anyways, not trying to start a nit-picky e-fight - just trying to learn more. Obviously you are the expert, not me... but I like to understand not only what happens but why it happens - so that I can expand beyond just having a point fact, rather understanding the concept more deeply.

Edit: as Fang66 points out, what's more important than the quantity is how much that quantity resembles a single larger mass rather than individual ones.

15. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Ya. Don't crowd. Or your chicken will boil, rather than crisp.