• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I honestly think that the soles wearing away in the heel quickly is a byproduct of the fact that Rick Dunks sort of make you walk like an idiot when you're wearing them. At least that is how I felt. They're definitely not on your feet to make you feel lithe and sporty.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
does Olmar and Mirta actually make the shoes?

As far as I know, yeah. My friend had a pair of Rick wedges where the base literally snapped, and RO had her send them to Olmar + Mirta to be fixed

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
^^ are you kidding? thats pretty fucked up. id expect $800+ Ricks would be higher quality than lanvin hi-tops.

Everything would be easier if it worked this way.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read that the DBSS high tops are a lot better quality than Rick (in terms of not falling apart or wearing out so readily). However, I don't really like any of the newer DBSS sneaker designs as compared to what they were doing a few years back. I'm still looking for a used pair of the gray deerskins-- those were the best.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rickdunks.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
****. that's kind of discouraging.
i was looking for a nice pair of leather ricks that i could use as daily beaters for ultra relaxed fits (i.e. jeans and t shirt)

thanks. the knit around the "torn" areas is actually reinforced. so one doesnt need to be so worried about the longevity of the thing. it actually looks really solid when you inspect it up close. its the only reason i was willing to shell out so much for it. i wont buy **** that is on its way to completely falling apart (like balmain).

the fact that ricks are like 800+ and the soles suck makes me completely reconsider getting a pair.

The base construction for most fashion brands is usually pretty **** compared to traditional brands in the same price range, especially if the traditional brand is known primarily as a manufacturer. You're paying primarily for the design, and also for exclusivity, etc... It's cool. I mean, seriously, how long are you going to wear a pair of Lanvins or Rick's anyway? In a couple of years, they are going to look pretty dated.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The base construction for most fashion brands is usually pretty **** compared to traditional brands in the same price range, especially if the traditional brand is known primarily as a manufacturer. You're paying primarily for the design, and also for exclusivity, etc... It's cool. I mean, seriously, how long are you going to wear a pair of Lanvins or Rick's anyway? In a couple of years, they are going to look pretty dated.

to be fair, i thought the lanvins were cool 2 years ago when they were huge on sufu. its possible they could still be cool in another couple of years

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
As far as I know, yeah. My friend had a pair of Rick wedges where the base literally snapped, and RO had her send them to Olmar + Mirta to be fixed

Actually I do recall now that they have the O+M outlet, with the shoes and clothes. Was just kinda surprised that they remember they make clothes like that plus the shoes... haven't come across many multi-purpose factories in my factory searches. Must be a huge factory. It's pretty hard to get people who make one thing make another totally unrelated thing so maybe they just outsource stuff like that and then tag it before they box it up at the mothership factory.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
^ didn't u read my credit card fraud story? I put in a little nugget specifically for you

benr: congratulations on growing up

sorry buddy haha I'll check it now

edit: 5-star thread, little disappointed though because I didn't find my name dropped
frown.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaozedong
to be fair, i thought the lanvins were cool 2 years ago when they were huge on sufu. its possible they could still be cool in another couple of years

Lanvins are also pretty neutral compared to the ROs, and I really don't think that the ROs have the same appeal as say, the equally idiosyncratic Carpe Diems. I personally think that the ROs looks sorta stupid, but at the same time, I can see their appeal. If you have mad cash, or just really like them, and recognize that you might not like them in a year, go for it.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lanvins are also pretty neutral compared to the ROs, and I really don't think that the ROs have the same appeal as say, the equally idiosyncratic Carpe Diems. I personally think that the ROs looks sorta stupid, but at the same time, I can see their appeal. If you have mad cash, or just really like them, and recognize that you might not like them in a year, go for it.
oh, definitely. i think dick dunks really only work with a certain aesthetic thats pretty temporary. i was specifically talking about lanvins, which seem a lot more neutral to me, as you said. along those lines, while im not surprised sq4you is interested in these, i cant imagine it'd mesh with his wardrobe too well. it takes a really specific aesthetic and the ratio of good rick dunk fits to bad is really really low.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Actually I do recall now that they have the O+M outlet, with the shoes and clothes. Was just kinda surprised that they remember they make clothes like that plus the shoes... haven't come across many multi-purpose factories in my factory searches. Must be a huge factory. It's pretty hard to get people who make one thing make another totally unrelated thing so maybe they just outsource stuff like that and then tag it before they box it up at the mothership factory.

Yeah, just found this on a google search, ironically related to the exact same issue my friend had:

From a RO sales associate:

I'm sorry to hear about the quality issues you've had with those wedges - this problem occured twice with customers I have sold similar designs on the same last to and even though Olmar & Mirta is always willing to accept returns / free of charge repairs, it seems they haven't figured out a way to produce these shoes in decent quality. I will make sure to point out this problem for when I'm talking to my Rick Owens contact person next time, this is proving a continuous issue they definitely need to work on, despite the fact that these shoes are by far the most popular from season to season.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Why would you expect that?

well, primarily due to the fact that RO sneakers:

• have a rubber surround that is more massive than lanvins, almost like ann d
  • have large stitching around the soles
  • have burly staples in the back
  • have an entire upper made of high quality leather
  • have side zips
  • cost more than lanvins

lmaozedong: i really like these and think i could pull them off pretty easily. they seem like much lower profile than all the rest

http://www.oki-ni.com/Mens-Footwear/...invt/ro0151cha

they also come in black but i think the creme is far more versatile and elegant

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my rick dunks have been resoled 5 times. no staples next season, better construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads