• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbro

Reaction score
That's because many years ago paying hundreds of dollars for a pair of jeans made in Japan was 'weird ****.'

My random fashion thought is how is everyone on this forum an expert on the construction of garments? When pushed in defense of this, the only argument that usually comes up (besides anecdotal 'comparisons') is something along the lines of 'I can just tell, I mean look at it.' Huh. Okay.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brinbro
That's because many years ago paying hundreds of dollars for a pair of jeans made in Japan was 'weird ****.'

My random fashion thought is how is everyone on this forum an expert on the construction of garments? When pushed in defense of this, the only argument that usually comes up (besides anecdotal 'comparisons') is something along the lines of 'I can just tell, I mean look at it.' Huh. Okay.

I worked for boutiques like the Denim Bar, Farinelli's and a little place called Barneys selling high end well-constructed clothing also I know how to sew and have taken apart and/or altered various garments. Good enough for you?

Brinbro

Reaction score
Yeah. In a general way. But, what about everyone else? Is it a need to rationalize/justify the garment based on some unquantifiable knowledge they don't have, of which is impossible to question? We all do it, in one form or another, but at least we all don't say it.

I think it comes up a lot on here and I do believe it's been discussed, I just needed to get it off my chest so I can move past it.
bigstar[1].gif

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you hold really expensive garments vs garbage at the local mall you can tell the difference

Quality of stitching, thread quality, spacing, no deviations, forms of tailoring (canvas vs fused) forms of machine sewing (single needle etc)

The quality of the cloth, good cloth has heaps of stages in its production.

Brinbro

Reaction score
I agree, but I also think that the majority of it is psychological and the dreadful 'brand positioning.'

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brinbro
I agree, but I also think that the majority of it is psychological and the dreadful 'brand positioning.'

I mean, generally, people try to be as objective as possible with quality here. Quality and fit are not always on the same page, though, and people will sometimes compromise on quality for fit. For example, Dior jeans, particularly the raws, aren't THAT great in quality for the price (actually, one can argue that they're pretty ******* awful for the price), but people pay the price because it's about the fit and the cut.

dls6128

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
M.A.+ is ******* incredible. Until you've played with it in person and tried it on STFU. It has better construction, quality and design then like 90% off the brands popular on here.

Originally Posted by Magician
I worked for boutiques like the Denim Bar, Farinelli's and a little place called Barneys selling high end well-constructed clothing also I know how to sew and have taken apart and/or altered various garments. Good enough for you?

i don't know if you realized this, but your condescension is really off-putting.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
When you hold really expensive garments vs garbage at the local mall you can tell the difference
Yeah, I'd say that this is a big part of it. When I'm at a b&m and can actually feel it in my hands, it's easier to make a superficial judgment on quality. Possessing knowledge of construction, fabrication, etc. obviously adds greater value to the assessment and I think that's where most people create their justifications.

But I think there are also quite a few here who can only go by the opinions of others or piece together their own sense of "quality" based on garments they own that are respected here. There's no way that everyone on here lives in or has visited NYC or LA or even has immediate access to b&ms that carry brands discussed here, and yet everyone has their opinion or justification for brands.

It's interesting and really odd at the same time but you see it a lot. How often have we seen, "Well, I live in a mud hut in Kansas but I do own a Rag & Bone sweater I got off ebay. If people like that brand on here then I'm also going to buy a pair of LVCs because people describe both as being 'quality' so it has to be worth the money?" A justification based on another justification.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dls6128
i don't know if you realized this, but your condescension is really off-putting.

come on dude. It's just the internet. Let's be friends!

Baby_Deer_Loves_Hitler_by_humon.jpg

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
jackets, leathers in general, shirts, pants, bags (still kinda upset i never went for the 07 envelope bag), belts, what is there to explain...it just doesn't jive with most of sf crowd but construction is pretty insane, at least on a lot of the piece i've handled. pretty stunning collection over the years. prohibitively priced, as expected.

ma2gb6.jpg

sexy.

but the damn accordion bags are worth half year's rent for me.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When is +J dropping exactly? The cashmere beanie was nice, a bit overpriced. I probably lost mine already, might grab another if they do something similar.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
i really hate visvim and that everyone rides visvim
i don't understand why there are so much haters here visvim is dope. ma+ is dope. if it's not your thing move on. what's with the hate hating "cool" brands doesn't make you cool. it makes you a hater

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
When is +J dropping exactly? The cashmere beanie was nice, a bit overpriced. I probably lost mine already, might grab another if they do something similar.

already did in usa, it's a week from today here for us

don't see a beanie in their lineup though, but that's fine for me since i still have mine

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Show me anything from visvim that doesn't give off orthopaedic shoe/special kid vibes.

Originally Posted by indesertum
i don't understand why there are so much haters here

visvim is dope. ma+ is dope. if it's not your thing move on. what's with the hate

hating "cool" brands doesn't make you cool. it makes you a hater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads