• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

kellte2

Reaction score

How do you think the Knox will compare to the AE First Ave's?

I have the Knox Boot from last year's Huckberry run. It's a fantastic boot, the LH sole is comfortable and the chromexcel leather requires virtually no break in. I bought mine in natural, and it is quite casual. The Huckberry run had a Horween No. 8 color, so that was the dressier variant, and I'm surprised that they omitted it this time in favor of the carolina brown, as I don't find the brown as dressy. However, the Knox Boot is relatively chunky and is decidedly less dressy than the AE First Ave.

It fits TTS.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have the Knox Boot from last year's Huckberry run. It's a fantastic boot, the LH sole is comfortable and the chromexcel leather requires virtually no break in. I bought mine in natural, and it is quite casual. The Huckberry run had a Horween No. 8 color, so that was the dressier variant, and I'm surprised that they omitted it this time in favor of the carolina brown, as I don't find the brown as dressy. However, the Knox Boot is relatively chunky and is decidedly less dressy than the AE First Ave.

It fits TTS.

Photos? :)

kellte2

Reaction score

I got you covered. Excuse the hasty photos. Quickly taken on my way into the office this morning and during a "break."

jcalvert86

Reaction score
Late reply to post above.. I have the Knox boot coming in brown and natural, can post photos next to black AE 1st ave's if you'd like. Also have a Truman service boot on the way.. might be selling that pair depending how it compares to the Rancourts.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late reply to post above.. I have the Knox boot coming in brown and natural, can post photos next to black AE 1st ave's if you'd like. Also have a Truman service boot on the way.. might be selling that pair depending how it compares to the Rancourts.
What size and what Truman?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

10D natural chromexcel captoe - reltex lactae sole, 5+2, pull tab - essentially the Knox boot.. it's shipping this week after ordering in early August

Will be interested in your comparative impressions. My experience says that Truman and Rancourt are two very different boots, though I can see you choosing one if they makeups are so similar in color and leather.

Glad the Knox doesn't work for me. Can't be tempted! :)

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on how the 115 last compares to something from AE like the 511 or B34? I may have to cop a Porter.

neelp3

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on how the 115 last compares to something from AE like the 511 or B34? I may have to cop a Porter.

I'd love to know this too! I have shell dalton boots in size 7E, which fit great length wise, and slightly snug width wise. Could go EE, but heel would be slipping.

My measured size is 7E-7EE and went with 7E in the Porter. I'm wondering if I should go with the 7EE or stick with the 7E.

I've emailed Rancourt to see what they think, but would be good since my wide flat feet make my sizing all over the place depending on last and company.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

When I was researching it I remember seeming to come to the conclusion that I would go 1/2 size up from my AE 65 last sizing and B34 as I take a size 12 in each...12E for blutcher and 12eee for bals on 65 and my B34 are size 12. My Dalton on 511 last I have in both 12eee and 13e

I have no real world knowledge of the 115 though but if ordering I would order a 12.5 E

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was researching it I remember seeming to come to the conclusion that I would go 1/2 size up from my AE 65 last sizing and B34 as I take a size 12 in each...12E for blutcher and 12eee for bals on 65 and my B34 are size 12. My Dalton on 511 last I have in both 12eee and 13e

I have no real world knowledge of the 115 though but if ordering I would order a 12.5 E

Hey Kahuna, thanks. What do you size in the Alden Barrie?

I'm an 8D in the B34, and I can wear either an 8D or 8E in the Dalton calf (sock dependent), though 8D in shell fits best.

As for the Porter, I'm sort of stuck between going with an 8E or a 8.5D, based on some info on the Non-Alden shell thread. Just from the visual on the Rancourt website, the Porter seems a touch more narrow than the Dalton, but I can't really judge length. I'm also concerned about instep, though that has not been an issue with any AE open laced boot I've tried.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I take a 12D in Barrie/Trubalance and a 13 in Aberdeen. I find the B34 to be more roomy in the toes than the Barrie. I also own 12.5 barrie and 12.5 Trubalance and fins they fit fine as well. I think with a boot I like to have a touch more room as lacing up higher can make up for it as well as thicker socks.

I like the porter in espresso shell..it is almost perfect for what I want however I am concerned about the toe..wonder if anyone has an overhead of it the 115 boot next to a Barrie/trubalance. I want a nice rounded toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads