• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

prozach1576

Reaction score

I must confess I'm very tempted by the navy beefroll on the BB site, although I keep telling myself that I should save my money and focus on a CXL #8 or brown for a penny loafer. Navy's for people who already have a dk brown or burgundy. Thoughts?

I just ordered the navy pair in 8.5D, my first pair of loafers. I think they will look good with light gray trousers and summery jackets on Fridays, not to mention on weekends.

Hopefully they fit. My ranger mocs are 9D but they have stretched a fair amount and I would be concerned about heel slippage if they weren't laced.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigarish? The only cigar I know of is shell--which I can't afford--or a calf that Red wing uses on the Beckmanns. Am I missing something?

Brown chromexcel is pretty similar in color... They have lots of other leathers too, many of which have a dark brown version.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you contact Rancourt they will send you samples of each. The #8 CXL is very nice but had more red in it than the brown CXL

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am working on an order for two custom pair of shoes and would love some thoughts/input on one of the two pairs. Here is the makeup and some of my dilemmas:

Ranger Moc:
Espresso shell cordovan (polished as opposed to matte finished if possible)
Full leather midsole
Montello Mini Lug sole (image below)
Stitching - TBD
Gold/Brown nylon taslan laces
Chestnut leather laces also included
Eyelets - TBD

My two open items are the stitching and the eyelets...

For the stitching I am leaning towards a brown stitching to make it tone on tone and make it a bit dressier. I could also do a white stitch and make it a bit more casual. I am also wondering about the brown stitch on the shoe itself and then maybe a white stitch where the shoe and sole attach (similar to an Alden Indy boot). I would do the brown on the toe box as well though as opposed to the white of the Indy (pictured below)

For the Eyelet I am thinking either Antique Brass or Gunmetal. The Gunmetal can be seen on the Rancourt site and looks very much like it sounds, think almost like a dull nickel eyelet.

I welcome any and all input and will certainly post pics once they arrive.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am working on an order for two custom pair of shoes and would love some thoughts/input on one of the two pairs. Here is the makeup and some of my dilemmas:

Ranger Moc:
Full leather midsole
Stitching - TBD
Eyelets - TBD

For the stitching I am leaning towards a brown stitching to make it tone on tone and make it a bit dressier. I could also do a white stitch and make it a bit more casual. I am also wondering about the brown stitch on the shoe itself and then maybe a white stitch where the shoe and sole attach (similar to an Alden Indy boot). I would do the brown on the toe box as well though as opposed to the white of the Indy (pictured below)

For the Eyelet I am thinking either Antique Brass or Gunmetal. The Gunmetal can be seen on the Rancourt site and looks very much like it sounds, think almost like a dull nickel eyelet.

I would say the ranger moc is a pretty casual design and the sole and laces you've chosen are casual as well. I'd go with the contrast stitching and antique eyelets. Sounds nice.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I think that sole can look more dressy depending on the shoe i.e. an Alden Cigar captoe boot with the commando sole sill looks quite dressy but works well in worse weather.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White stitching, Shiny Nickel eyelets.

The stitching will become brown after you polish them anyway.

I didn't realize there was a matte/polished option, did they say this to you?

Based on my experience ordering from them, you can have different color top stitching on the sole and stitching for the upper, however, sometimes they have a hard time following directions.

See pages 101, 102 and 103 for pics of my espresso shell make-up.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ranger Moc:
Full leather midsole
Stitching - TBD
Eyelets - TBD

I think the antique brass eyelets would look good with the overall brown color tone of your proposal. Contrast stitching looks right to me on a shoe like this, and I agree with Grendel that the overall makeup is pretty casual, even with Shell cordovan as the material. By the way, these are going to be great shoes.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White stitching, Shiny Nickel eyelets.

The stitching will become brown after you polish them anyway.

I didn't realize there was a matte/polished option, did they say this to you?

Based on my experience ordering from them, you can have different color top stitching on the sole and stitching for the upper, however, sometimes they have a hard time following directions.

See pages 101, 102 and 103 for pics of my espresso shell make-up.

No, they did not tell me that polished versus matte was an option. I just added that myself as it is my preference and figured I would throw it out there...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads