• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just did some e-sleuthing on cavalry calf.

It looks like it's C&Js attempt to create an alternative to cordovan. They use good leather, and then inject it with cow fat to give it a similiar look as real cordovan.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It looks like it's C&Js attempt to create an alternative to cordovan. They use good leather, and then inject it with cow fat to give it a similiar look as real cordovan.

I have some C&J in cavalry. It does resemble cordovan, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. It's weird they priced them at cordovan level. The ones I got were same price as calf. Also from Barney's on sale years ago.

allred1675

Reaction score
32568226ib.jpg

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, it's a waxed cordovan-like leather, Church's had something similar in the past called "Appaloosa Calf".

Something between Full Grain and Corrected Grain.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
I’m considering some Crockett & Jones Islay boots, and was wondering if there are owners who also have AE Daltons and Alden Barrie-lasted boots. I wear an 8.5D in the Daltons and 8D in the Alden boots (JCrew shell cap toes and Indy boots). With the Daltons and Barrie last I wear thin socks and they are an ideal fit. I’ve come across a few accounts of going 1.5 number sizes down for the Islays for thin socks, which would make me a 7 UK size. Does this add up to owners of both? My only hesitation is overall length.

Here’s the trick with the Islay: it has a really low instep. I was measured at a 7.5UK at C&J in London, wear 7.5Uk in 325 and 7UK in 335 Chelsea, an 8D Barrie and Van. Van was a little tough on my instep but broke in.

7UK Islay... is not breaking in. I’m pretty much giving up on it which is pretty tragic given how awesome it looks. It’s just way too flat - not enough room to accommodate sizing down. Fine in the toes though, so if you have a low volume foot wouldn’t be a bad decision.

McQ7

Reaction score
Here’s the trick with the Islay: it has a really low instep. I was measured at a 7.5UK at C&J in London, wear 7.5Uk in 325 and 7UK in 335 Chelsea, an 8D Barrie and Van. Van was a little tough on my instep but broke in.

7UK Islay... is not breaking in. I’m pretty much giving up on it which is pretty tragic given how awesome it looks. It’s just way too flat - not enough room to accommodate sizing down. Fine in the toes though, so if you have a low volume foot wouldn’t be a bad decision.

Thank you so much. This is extremely helpful. I do feel that my feet are low volume in the ankles and in that area immediately down from the ankle bend, possibly as far down as the instep. On my chromexcel Alden Indys on which I sized down .5, I must wear heavyweight wool socks to fill up the space, and even then the facings almost touch at the ankles area and on up. On the Alden xJCrew shell Barrie boots in the same size, the fit is the same except with dress socks. My sense is that my foot is standard right at the area where the tongue meets the vamp, and gets lower volume from there on up, but especially at the ankle bend area.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Galileo, when were you there. I was in the shop Monday 23 April, there was a chap made a special trip from abroad to purchase some shoes.

Nah I was there on 26th and just grabbed one myself - then one more for dad later on

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have exchanged some emails with one of the CJ London stores and got quoted for the Harvard II in whisky cordovan. It's a great deal (with shipping) compared to the US online pricing: $200 less. Now I don't know what I will be charged by the courier for duty or customs or tax or whatever it's called.

Besides all that, I don't know what size to order. I wear 11D in the Alden Van-lasted LHS in cordovan and it's a tad roomy in the heel which is why I want to try the Harvard II which claims to have a tighter heel. Anyone suggest a size? The chap with whom I am corresponding says he recommends UK 10E. I read a few entries above that some go down 1.5 and other go down 1. I want them to be snug with a thin loafer liner. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads