• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, for me the Conistons have a wider heel which is what my issue ends up being. So makes sense. We have opposite issues.

365 (Islay) is bigger in the heel too. 325 (Coniston) is more normal in both areas.

CJ specifically touts 365 as roomy in the toe and heel.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
365 (Islay) is bigger in the heel too. 325 (Coniston) is more normal in both areas.

CJ specifically touts 365 as roomy in the toe and heel.
Then the only other thing I can think of is the RO material. My heel gets absolutely destroyed but I have 2 other boots in 325 with cordovan shell and they are comfortable as hell so who knows.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then the only other thing I can think of is the RO material. My heel gets absolutely destroyed but I have 2 other boots in 325 with cordovan shell and they are comfortable as hell so who knows.

Very odd. I usually find that my foot gets more banged up with too much room as opposed to being snug.

From my first wear yesterday I do think the RO seems stiffer than the calf version of the Coniston.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comparing RO and Scotch Grain, I found the RO upper to be very supple and comfortable out of the box and fully broken in after the first Winter. Scotch Grain upper was a painful break-in despite the roomy last and needed a second F/W of wear to catch up to the RO.

Is there a difference in soles? 10,000 steps in the city on Dainite--even with a broken in upper--are a ball (of the foot) buster for me. Two weeks ago, I did the same on my Islay that have been resoled to Londra, and I felt like I could do 10K more.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
Comparing RO and Scotch Grain, I found the RO upper to be very supple and comfortable out of the box and fully broken in after the first Winter. Scotch Grain upper was a painful break-in despite the roomy last and needed a second F/W of wear to catch up to the RO.

Is there a difference in soles? 10,000 steps in the city on Dainite--even with a broken in upper--are a ball (of the foot) buster for me. Two weeks ago, I did the same on my Islay that have been resoled to Londra, and I felt like I could do 10K more.
The RO Coniston is the only one on Ridgeway which I'm actually not a big fan of which is opposite from the majority. The other two 325 last boots I have are leather and comfortable. The 365 is Dainite and comfortable to me as well.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RO Coniston is the only one on Ridgeway which I'm actually not a big fan of which is opposite from the majority. The other two 325 last boots I have are leather and comfortable. The 365 is Dainite and comfortable to me as well.

Yeah, there are so many variables at play (upper material, last, sole) and how they all interplay with one's own unique foot. Advice can be helpful, but one never knows until one actually puts 15 or 20 miles onto a particular combination of upper, last and sole. It really is the ultimate "your mileage may vary" situation.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Roughout Islays

IMG_8764.jpeg

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
GMTO: Dundee Whiskey Shell Cordovan

Reminder for a GMTO currently running for a Dundee boot in whiskey shell cordovan. The specifications are set out below.

- Model: Dundee
- Last: 325 or 335
- Width: E (regular)
- Material: Shell Cordovan
- Colour: Whiskey
- Welt: Stormwelt
- Sole: Dainite
- Tongue: Regular
- Edge Finish: Antique
- Eyelets: 4 exposed + 4 speedhooks (antique brass)
- Pull Tab: Yes
- Price: £1150 inc. VAT / £958 exc. VAT (price to be confirmed by C&J only when we have confirmed number of participants)

For references and photos of the Dundee boot, visit the following SF threads:

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4

Here is the link to the Dundee Whiskey Shell GMTO spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Reaction score
Any idea what’s happened to the sole edge? These have been worn once in the city and were then sent to the factory to have them replace the eyelets and this is how they came back. Not saying the factory did this, just trying to understand.

IMG_3709.jpeg

florent

Reaction score
Any idea what’s happened to the sole edge? These have been worn once in the city and were then sent to the factory to have them replace the eyelets and this is how they came back. Not saying the factory did this, just trying to understand.

View attachment 2119945
It seems that the edge wax finish has been improperly applied and has flaked away. Not great visually but nothing structurally worrisome

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur