• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Suit in NYC

shawndo

Reaction score
As was described in a previous post, I was waiting for a MW suit to be altered.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=30683

In the process, I found this group and was feeling some buyer's remorse! Wonder of wonders, they lost the suit and needed me to come in for another fitting. I am, of course, just getting a refund and will go elsewhere.

The question is... where!? I need a classic charcoal suit for $300 (I want to stay under $400 after taxes) Alterations need to be completed by this time next week. Also, if the suit is worth it, I can push the budget a little.

I know they say "quality, speed and price, choose 2". But maybe with your help I can get a decent balance? I'm in NYC, so I think I have lots of options.

Suggestions?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Century 21?

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shawndo
As was described in a previous post, I was waiting for a MW suit to be altered.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=30683

In the process, I found this group and was feeling some buyer's remorse! Wonder of wonders, they lost the suit and needed me to come in for another fitting. I am, of course, just getting a refund and will go elsewhere.

The question is... where!? I need a classic charcoal suit for $300 (I want to stay under $400 after taxes) Alterations need to be completed by this time next week. Also, if the suit is worth it, I can push the budget a little.

I know they say "quality, speed and price, choose 2". But maybe with your help I can get a decent balance? I'm in NYC, so I think I have lots of options.

Suggestions?

Call Philip Pravda @ Phil's 1908 and ask him what he has in the store. His pricing might be a bit above what you seek but it's worth a try.

212.230.1908. Southeast corner of 3rd and 59th near Bloomingdales.

shawndo

Reaction score
Thick as Thieves is definitely on the list for a second suit, but I'm in a time crunch right now. Which pretty much eliminates any online options.

as far as Century 21 goes, can I buy anything in there at the $300 price range and be confident it will be a good value? Maybe someone can give me some brand names to look for in this price range?

Also, should I have them do the alterations or take it somewhere else? (I would need a tailor who can do everything in a week or less)

shawndo

Reaction score
Just took a quick break and went to C21. I'm pretty ignorant with the brand name/quality thing, so help me out. This is what they had in charcoal and in my size..
- "Ruffino" for aroun $150
- "Hickey Freeman" for $500. I know this one is worth it, but it is charcoal with really small pinstripes. That wouldn't be acceptable for interviews, right?
Looked similar to this:
PAAAAAMPJPNFLMDO.jpg

- Hugo Boss $400
- Calvin Klein $500
- Theory $400. I liked the look of this one, but have no idea on the quality.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your $300 budget is very low, even by bargain-hunting SF standards. Finding a canvassed suit on sale for that price is rare, even in NYC. You could certainly find something fitting that description second-hand on ebay, but very unlikely in a retail store.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with H-F.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Pinstripes are perfectly fine for an interview. The suit you pictured would be perfect. FYI -- I think the Hickey Freeman's at C21 are from the LTD collection, which are fused, so beware. I'd recommend going to Filene's Basement in Union Square -- I think they are having a suit sale and you could probably get a Hickey Freeman for under $500.

If you like the look of the Theory, go ahead and get it, but the quality of the construction won't be any better than say, Hugo Boss.

shawndo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Your $300 budget is very low, even by bargain-hunting SF standards. Finding a canvassed suit on sale for that price is rare, even in NYC. You could certainly find something fitting that description second-hand on ebay, but very unlikely in a retail store.

Yeah, I'm thinking about pushing it to $500 and heading to Filene's Basement after work. Otherwise, I'll probably get that H-F at C21 tomorrow, unless there are other ideas.

Ludlow

Reaction score
Jos A Bank's internet sale has gone into "extra 50% off" mode. I don't know whether their NYC retail locations have followed suit, but if so you could get one of their Signature Gold half-canvassed Super 120s for under $250. And nearly anyone with a pulse and a paycheck should be able to get an additional discount through their workplace - JOSB gives those away. If retail isn't that cheap pay the extra $15 for overnight shipping and have your local guy make any necessary changes.

shawndo

Reaction score
I think the Hickey Freeman's at C21 are from the LTD collection, which are fused, so beware.
How do I identify this LTD collection. Would it say it on the label?

I just got back from Filene's basement, and they had no charcoal H-R in my size. They had other brands in my size, but I didn't recognize them (still brand new to this..) One was Valentino, which was the same price range. Just under $500 after the discount. Is that one any good?

I suppose I'll checkout C21 tomorrow, otherwise, I'm going to JAB and try to get something to hold me over until I get more time to find a deal.

What did you mean by "additional discount through their workplace" JAB gives corporate discounts?

shawndo

Reaction score
That Filene's Basement sale involved prepaying for the suit, then waiting until Monday to pick it up, for some reason. Unfortunately, that's a problem with my time crunch. I think I've decided to get the cheapest thing possible to get me through this one event, then spend more time researching and waiting for "the one" to come along. Not to mention, I'm in the middle of a diet, and I still don't know what my long term size is going to be. Also, I went to JOS A Banks, and the guy said the company was out of stock of the Signature Gold suits for $250 (despite what the web site said) He said that they regularly delay updating their website, and send an alternate suit out and hope it won't be returned. Pretty scummy if you ask me
frown.gif

JeffC

Reaction score
Also, I went to JOS A Banks, and the guy said the company was out of stock of the Signature Gold suits for $250 (despite what the web site said) He said that they regularly delay updating their website, and send an alternate suit out and hope it won't be returned. Pretty scummy if you ask me

Even more scummy that he told you that trying to earn a commission.

-Jeff

shawndo

Reaction score
I had an idea. I'm going to go to a tuxedo place and rent the most informal thing they have, just to get through this wedding. (it looks like they have charcoal suits) Then take my time finding a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads