• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick question on Navy Sports Coat/Blazer (SuitSupply)

darbebo

Reaction score
Hi guys - your insight and guidance is very much needed as I go into 2018.

New to this realm so - I am looking at the below Jackets to wear with jeans from suitsupply and I have the following questions:

Jacket#1 (i actually have this in hand right now)
https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-blue-plain/C1001I.html

Jacket#2
https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jac....html?cgid=Jackets&prefn1=colorID&prefv1=blue

Questions
  1. For both Jackets 1 & 2, can you please tell me if they are classified as a blazer or a sports jacket?
    Jacket #1:If you scroll through the pics to get a zoom in look, you can see that the materials (75% Wool, 10% Silk, 10% Linen, 5% Cashmere) are making it to have this....woolly, patterned, semi cashmere feel which is different feel than a suit jacket quality (because suits fabric typically feels smooth) and it "feels" thicker than a typical suit jacket.
    Jacket #2: Because it is 100% wool and feels smooth + looks smooth + looks pretty much how a suit jacket should be - I am inclined to think this is a blazer jacket but need confirm.

2. Would the non-contrasting buttons (black buttons instead of white mother of pearl) causing both to be considered a sports jacket?

3. If they are considered Sports Jackets - should I not get this and instead, go for a 100% Navy Blazer? Because everywhere I read, people only mention get a Navy Blazer , never Navy Sports Jacket and if I want to wear dark blue wash jeans with this, people recommend sports jacket (not blazer) BUT they say Navy doesn't seem to be the best color.

Bottomline: If I want to get a sports jacket to wear with my jeans, should i get Navy Blue in the first place, and if i should/can, which material is more suitable for this? Do I need to change my buttons?
OR - is Jacket #1 w/its pattern and fabric makes it not like a broken up Navy suit and actually best serve my purpose as a sports jacket w/jeans casual wear look?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry so much about the terms blazer vs sport jacket/sport coat, since the term blazer is often used incorrectly anyways. I think the articles you are referring to that suggest navy blazers are basically saying that a navy odd jacket (meaning not a jacket taken from a suit) is a good first jacket purchase because it goes well with odd trousers in non-navy colors, such as grey.

Also, I wouldn't get too hung up about button color either. I think the most important thing when dealing with a jacket to be worn with different trousers/pants is that

a) the fabric is more casual, or textured. Like you mentioned, you typically don't want a smooth, plain suit-like cloth, although many traditional "blazers" are made from such a cloth.

and
b) the fabric be a contrasting color to the pants. I think if you're set on wearing a jacket with dark blue denim then it's better to go with a jacket in a brown tone, since it will contrast and better match the casualness of the jeans.

A navy jacket with dark jeans is not the worst look IMHO, but it does veer towards a pseudo-suit.

RJG

Reaction score
I agree with Spex, don't fret the button color too much.
Navy jacket with dark jeans is just Ok...but I would want a color that didn't match the jeans too much either.
What happens in that case is- people question what happened to the slacks? Are they at the cleaners...did he forget them at home?

I know it's not addressing your OP - but...you should also consider that for the $ 500 a Havana blue plain jacket...you could just get the whole suit ( Napoli, navy, plain) for about $ 550.00 with in house tailoring and tax.
https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/napoli-navy-plain/P5229MI.html?cgid=Suits

If you can get a jacket with some sort texture in there - yes- absolutely go for that.
I you cannot- consider a tie w/ some texture. Yes, even with jeans.

Some people on this forum might consider mixing up a suit coat with jeans is verboten, but who cares?
You'll look better than 99% of the other guys out there IMHO.

darbebo

Reaction score
RJG + Spex, thank you so much for helping in 2018! I really hope you don't mind me piggyback on some comments/Questions :)

From what you guys say, it really seems jacket #1 with its "non suit" fabric is really becoming more casual and better than jacket #1 in suiting my casual style look....to that end....

I actually DID buy this brown "sports jacket" - my wife picked it out and I find it works quite well with either a dark blue or medium blue, so this is a keeper,
https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-light-brown-plain/C1071I.html

I DO have a pair of medium blue wash jean as well that actually look pretty OK when I tried it with the Jacket #1 in the store, hence I keep bringing it up (sorry)
Just as a reference only:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/537758011733650267/

So @Spex & RJG- since I do have a brown one now to go with dark/med jeans, which choice would you choose?
  1. Would you add jacket #1 into my jeans+sportsjacket rotation? (but only be wearing Navy Jacket#1 with medium wash jeans though) or
  2. Just not even bother with it since the brown I have is more versatile and the Navy will be a waste of $ since so hard to match/hard to not look like a broken off suit even with the thicker fabric?
  3. Add another color into the rotation but just not Navy? if not Navy, what color?

I suck at styles and just building out my "casual jeans + sports jacket" wardrobe....I have 2 jeans + 1 brown jacket now.

And I've recently gotten a VERY dark navy suit from SS and I intend to wear that as a suit, thinking of getting a charcoal suit next.

Thanks all , happy new year!

Spex

Reaction score
You must have other pants other than blue jeans, no? I think the first Susu dark blue jacket would go OK with lighter blue jeans (like in the example you posted), but even better with chinos of basically any colour. The jacket would be versatile for use with almost any pant/trouser. I don't think you can go wrong.

The light brown jacket you have looks nice and would also work with many pants, including darker jeans, but less versatile overall than maybe a darker brown jacket. Some guys on SF are against the so-called "northern lights" look where the jacket is lighter than the pants, but to each their own.

darbebo

Reaction score
haha....actually....that's pretty much all I have....at work I have black dress pants, on the weekends, it's really just jeans & sneakers, never a fan and never did wore khakis and chinos ...

Since you say jacket #1 is OK to keep and put into rotation, I shall consider this, thank you!!

Spex

Reaction score
As an alternative, at least for any of the cooler months, a grey tweed sportcoat works great with blue denim of all shades.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smartyiouj