• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about a tailor, please help?

benzorlb

Reaction score
Alright, so there's this shirt I like, but it's only available in size medium and won't be available in size small anytime soon. I am a size small, I'm a pretty small guy...

Now, I know if I get this shirt as a medium, it's not going to be the best fit. The sleeves will probably be longer than they have to and the shirt will overall look a bit baggy.

I'm curious, is there anything a tailor can't fix about a shirt? Like I don't know, maybe the shoulders or something? And also, if a tailor fixes the sleeves, will they look natural? Or would you be able to tell it's tailored?

I just want to know because it's my first time getting a shirt tailored.

Would he be able to make the whole shirt look naturally like a small, or is there some places where a tailor can't really do anything.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves and body can be made smaller, but don't expect it to be cheap if you want your tailor to essentially remake the entire shirt from scratch.

You also won't be able to change the circumference of the cuffs or collar, so if the collar is too big, which is likely, then you're out of luck.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Do a poal asking how many have bought items in the wrong size because they just had to have it, and have been happy with the results.

Observe the results, draw your own conclusions

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if he knows how to make shirts he can do it.
take in the shoulders, body, sleeves, including cuffs.
but the collar is too chancy.
this entire job would be $$$$. a good deal more than the shirt cost.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
if he knows how to make shirts he can do it.
take in the shoulders, body, sleeves, including cuffs.
but the collar is too chancy.
this entire job would be $$$$. a good deal more than the shirt cost.

Now you have a tailor here answering your questions
lol8[1].gif

spidercan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Cool
Do a poal asking how many have bought items in the wrong size because they just had to have it, and have been happy with the results. Observe the results, draw your own conclusions
I'll be the first to answer the imaginary poll; don't do it. I'm something like 0 for 12 for wrong sized items I had tailored.

benzorlb

Reaction score
I think even if the shirt wasn't tailored, it would fit me decent or slightly poorly but not terrible, but it wouldn't be a PERFECT FIT which if what I want. You don't think a tailor can do that?

My neck size is about a 13 1/2. The shirt I want is a 15 3/4.

And I don't mind paying a lot of money for a tailor, as long as I look good.

spidercan

Reaction score
If you want a perfect fit, I'd recommenyd made to measure then. But I'm going to guess that's a no go since there's a specific brand you want.

spidercan

Reaction score
If your body corresponds to your neck size, that shirt's something like 6 sizes too big (13 1/2, 14, 14 1/2, 15...)
confused.gif
Basically your tailor will be using the fabric from the shirt to make a new shirt, which won't be much different from him making a shirt from scratch except without the label.

benzorlb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scohrdarkshadow
If you want a perfect fit, I'd recommenyd made to measure then. But I'm going to guess that's a no go since there's a specific brand you want.

What do you mean by made to measure? Lol sorry I'm a fashion noob so I'm not familiar with a lot of terms.

There is a specific brand and shirt I want, it's from the Spring Summer '10 collection. It's one of the last shirts they have in stock and they only have 15 3/4 neck size which is a medium.

benzorlb

Reaction score
If your body corresponds to your neck size, that shirt's something like 6 sizes too big (13 1/2, 14, 14 1/2, 15...)
confused.gif
Basically your tailor will be using the fabric from the shirt to make a new shirt, which won't be much different from him making a shirt from scratch except without the label.

Well I don't know if it corresponds to my neck size, but 1/2 is considered a full size?

I think I'm going to take a chance, and worse comes to worse, if it's WAY too big, I'll return it. If it's a bit bigger, I'll send it to a tailor.

What's there to lose?

I'm going to post pics on here too to see if you guys like the fit.

spidercan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benzorlb
What do you mean by made to measure? Lol sorry I'm a fashion noob so I'm not familiar with a lot of terms. There is a specific brand and shirt I want, it's from the Spring Summer '10 collection. It's one of the last shirts they have in stock and they only have 15 3/4 neck size which is a medium.
Hey that's okay, we were all noobs once, and are currently in varying stages of noobness
lol8[1].gif
Definitions can be a little tricky, but from what I understand, made to measure is where a tailor takes your measurements and then makes a garment from a pre-set design based on said measurements. A good starting point if you're ever interested in the future is www.moderntailor.com There's also bespoke: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=207 Out of curiosity, what brand is it?

benzorlb

Reaction score
Hey that's okay, we were all noobs once, and are currently in varying stages of noobness
lol8[1].gif

Made to measure is where a tailor takes your measurements and then makes a garment from a pre-set design based on said measurements. A good starting point if you're ever interested in the future is moderntailor.com

There's also bespoke: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=207

That's quite interesting, the only thing is, the tailor's shirt won't be nearly the same good quality as the designer shirt I want will be, no?

Anyways, that's something to seriously take into consideration. Thanks a bunch.

benzorlb

Reaction score
schordarkshadow, you really made me a bit iffy about my decision right now. I appreciate your help a lot unlikey many other people on this forum, but eh, I want this shirt badly, but it all comes down to the sizing.

I have a question... when purchasing a shirt, aren't you supposed to get a size bigger than your neck size anyways? Like for example if my neck size is EXACTLY 13 1/2 inches around, shouldn't I get a 14 to 14 1/2 anyways to ensure some room and a proper fit? So if the tailor makes the shirt I want from a 15 3/4 to like a 15 or 14 1/2, wouldn't it fit fine?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find a Tailor that has a background in pattern making. My father does both jobs and he gets tons of work, because he's an expert in taking clothes apart and reconstructing them to specific measurements. Look around the shops and if you see "blocks" ask if theirs a pattern maker in the house.

It's going to be expensive as **** though. Really time consuming even for a long time veteran. I have a awesome BB small shirt that won't fit me anymore, pm me if you want it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads