• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questioning Fit of this suit...

Bob01

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input!

So to sum up everyones statements:

Suit Jacket:
- Shoulders too wide - by about .25 - .5" on each side
- Sleeve Length too long - should stop around the wrist bone, not after ;-)
- Sleves too wide & shapeless - take out about "slightly" to 25-50% of the cloth out? (though thinking if between 25-50% taken out, it would almost be skin tight?)
- Maybe take in the waist a little

Suit Pants:
- too Long - should end at the middle of top of foot and heel

Shirt:
- Too baggy - take in about an inch from each side of the body
- Shoulders too wide - take about 1/2 inch from each side (though my right shoulder is drooping - was carrying around a backpack all day prior to these pictures ;-))
- Sleeves too long - really should end right where the hand meets the wrist
- Too many buttons on the wrist - Should be safe for me to just chop the other off?
- Wrists is a bit too roomy - trim it down a bit
- Fabric is on the thin side

Shoes:
Get a New Pair :p

The Suit, The changes seem pretty easy (the shortening of the sleeves & pants at least)...though not sure I want to risk them perhaps messing it up, due to its not actually the people I talk with who do the work, Im pretty sure they outsource it to some factory on the outskirts of town...don't want to get the sleeves shortened, only to find out the buttons are now at the end of the sleeve ;-)... Ordered a tux through these same folks (as well as a duffle jacket), sleeves on that should be much higher?

For the shirt, I placed an order for 4 more shirts they day I picked up the eyesore above (if you find the shirt above as such, you'd probably want to scrape your eyes out with a grapefruit spoon, if you saw the fit of my Burberry, Joseph Abboud & Ike Behar Shirts...) - I'll see if I can get them to change those four and maybe the two I purchased previously...The fabric I realized after washing is most likely mostly or 100% synthetic fibers...I'll try out another place that has better quality fabrics - supposidly 120+ thread count cotton, imported from Hong Kong stuff(well the swatches atleast felt good) - for around 37 bucks each (these were around 20)

For the shoes...Didn't think they were that horrendous...guess they were...Any Suggestions for shoe types?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob01
Suit Pants:
- too Long - should end at the middle of top of foot and heel

That's just my preference. There are a variety of lengths depending on the individual; though pretty much everyone will agree that your pants are currently too long. Some people like the "high water" look with their socks showing.

It's up to you how much you shorten then. Just so long as you do.
smile.gif

With changes to your shirts, be aware that cotton is going to shrink up some. Leave allowance for that with any adjustments you're going to make. Standard advice for people ordering online from somewhere like Jantzen is to wash and dry the shirt a few times before making changes to any subsequent orders. This is particularly true if you dry your shirts in a drier with heat as opposed to air drying or using the no heat setting. Same goes for getting them laundered.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob01
- Sleves too wide & shapeless - take out about "slightly" to 25-50% of the cloth out?

I think this something you'll have to work-out with your tailor. You want the sleeves to be a wee bit less blousy, but they shouldn't crease or bunch too much around your arms (they would be too tight if they did this). I'd suggest having your tailor pin your sleeves, and trying moving your arms around... This will allow you to see for yourself if the sleeves are too wide or too narrow...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
25% - 50% less cloth in the sleeves would leave a sleeve so trim a skeleton wouldnt fit in it.

i would say....trimmer by 10%-15%, but a tailor is going to have to help you adjust this.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants need to be taken in a little bit on the thighs too...

And I am pretty sure you should go down a size or two for your shirts besides the collar.

As far as shoe goes, stick with a black cap-toe or brown wing-cap oxfords.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
Bob, I'd like to introduce you to the search function.
+1 Try the list of high-end shoemakers: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=12201 If you're from the US, American members seem to favour Allen Edmonds and Alden as affordable options. The frequent shoe p0rn threads will acquaint you with some of the other members' shoe obsessions.

Bob01

Reaction score
Thank you again everyone for your additional comments - giving me a lot to think about next time I go see the tailors this weekend.

Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
Bob, I'd like to introduce you to the search function.

Yeah...I know there are several (probably 100s) threads about shoes...I wasn't really going to look into that aspect of my apparel for a while...This thread was originally intended to just ask comments about the suit, but since I recieved so many comments about the shoes, I thought I'd let those folks be the first to "influence" my thoughts on the next thing on my list ;-)...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads