• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

QUESTION- Tuxedo in the daytime

Nexus6

Reaction score
Experts only please.
No others need reply.

Question:

To my knowledge, a tuxedo is evening wear,
but are there are not exceptions?

Example- A wedding, where the wedding party is required during the daylight hours for the service and also for the photography sessions.

I just got off the phone with my 'Mr. Know-it-all' friend who says 'No one anywhere wears a tuxedo in the daytime. It is strictly evening wear.'
I said, 'What about weddings. Men wear tuxedos at weddings for longer than I have been alive'
He said, 'No they don't, PERIOD.'
He was actually getting angry at me for saying that men DO wear tuxedos at weddings in the daytime, and threatened to hang up the phone on me.
He went on and on and on repeating the same thing over and over again, adding only Jews from Montreal wear tuxedos in the daytime at weddings.'

I hung up the phone, disgusted. He was completely in his own world and out of his mind.

Now I need the advice of only the experts here...
Either my friend owes me an apology, or I owe him one.
smile.gif

Please fill up this thread, so I can show it to him later.

mdg137

Reaction score
With your example-

If the wedding began sufficiently late in the day (3:30-4:00ish), and you proceeded straight through he photos to the reception, I would say a Tuxedo isnt ideal, but is a practical compromise.

If the wedding began at 11:00am and photos went from 12:00 to 1:00, and then the reception began at 6:00, I would say no way.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're right that people do it.

He's right that they are wrong to do it.

Folks who know what they're doing won't wear a tuxedo to a wedding during the daytime.

Folks who have no idea what they're doing don't know it's an issue.

Dinner jackets are evening wear.

Will you see it at weddings these days? Certainly.

On the issue of "should" you wear it during a daytime wedding, the answer is a resounding "no".

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tuxedo is properly called a dinner jacket, the name comes from its purpose - it is for dinner and after dinner events, any earlier than pre dinner cocktails is wrong.

An exception to this is summertime opera performances which may start several hours before dinner, but since you continue at the same event into the night this is ok. A day time wedding is not ok.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if we are going to go by tradition, a tuxedo jacket was originally used informally

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the thousands of Catholics who get married each year are sartorial in the wrong, then.

The mass services usually take place anywhere from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on a Saturday, with pictures to follow, and cocktails for the reception beginning at 5. Based on my experience, 95% of the groom's party wear black tuxes for the entire event. I think mid-night navy peak lapel suits would be a better choice for the groom's party, with the groom doing a tux wardrobe change for the evening. But that's just me.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the wardrobe change. As most people dont have morning dress these days, a nice suit would work well.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
if we are going to go by tradition, a tuxedo jacket was originally used informally
Well of course, you only wear your dinner jacket for dinner at a good friends house or your club, otherwise you get properly dressed up. I think if you turned up to the opera in white tie now you would be ushered to the front of the orchestra and given the baton, if a restaurant people would assume you were the head waiter/sommelier or something. Apart from a few events black tie basically is formalwear now

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Well, the thousands of Catholics who get married each year are sartorial in the wrong, then.

Yes. Yes, they are.

The mass services usually take place anywhere from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on a Saturday, with pictures to follow, and cocktails for the reception beginning at 5. Based on my experience, 95% of the groom's party wear black tuxes for the entire event. I think mid-night navy peak lapel suits would be a better choice for the groom's party, with the groom doing a tux wardrobe change for the evening. But that's just me.

It's not just you.

Manton's article on Wedding Attire is about as good as it gets on this subject and a navy double breasted is pretty much what he recommends in this situation (if you aren't doing morning coats).

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...DINGATTIRE.htm

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are wrong! And it did not used to always be this way. In almost every wedding picture Ive seen pre-1970 the wedding party wears suits or daytime formalwear.

More recently something called the "wedding industry" sprung up when vendors discovered they could make a fortune by peddling unnecessary services and customs, the most egregious example being the "tuxedo rental" racket.

Suits are the best daytime wedding option, IMO. I might choose to go with a morning coat if I didnt think people would be asking me all day why Im dressed as Mr Peanut.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning coat in the day (not grey with few exceptions), DJ at night or white tie. I'm looking forward to getting a bespoke morning coat when I get married.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love all the hype here about "morning dress."

Let's be honest, where in the US do you EVER see this??

morning.jpg

It might fly in the UK, but I just don't see this kind of getup making a comeback here, if it was ever even a prominent style in the US to begin with..

What's funnier is that when I google images of "morning dress" about 90% of the examples are from this forum or AAAC... meaning, not many outside of these circles really care to wear it imo.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in the us you see boxxy mens warehouse suits and square toed shoes. I dont think thats what yo should go by

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads