• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about scarf length

sloaney

Reaction score
Two days ago in Rome, I bought an orange scarf (pictured in the "Rome, Mimmo Siviglia and St Regis: Trip Report & Photos" thread). It is longer than usual scarves. It is too long to just "hang it" over my shoulders as both ends almost touch my knees but too short if I folded it into half first.

How are these scarves worn? I am puzzled.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actuallly, how long should a scarf be to be "perfect"?
What are the "correct" ways of wearing a scarf?
I have some cheap scarves but I am thinking about getting myself one or a few quality ones (although, in view of global heating, I doubt that I will have much use of them around here in the future...) and I would like to get it right.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I take it from your post that you're not wrapping the scarf around your neck, but just draping it over your shoulders? Scarves actually do have a functional purpose, and the length of this one may reflect the notion that someone might use it to keep his throat warm.

vanity

Reaction score
I wish they made mens scarves long like women's. I want to tie it and still have enough material to flow down. That doesn't work with men's scarves.

yoyo

Reaction score
IS there any difference between men's and women's scarves, other than length?

singlechange

Reaction score
For how to wear a scarf do yourself a favor and look at the images of ordinary people of New York City photographed and captured by Scott Schuman at thesartorialist.blogs.com. You can see from the pictures there how a simple but well chosen accessory like a gentleman's scarf can make an entire look.
There are dozens and dozens of pictures of men and women with scarves. For Christmas I was presented with an eyecatching Etro scarf and after perusing Scott's images, I was hooked. In the past few weeks I've added scarves from Luciano Barbera, Loro Piana, Colombo and another Etro picked up at seasonend sales going on everywhere now.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the really long scarves look good on top of an overcoat (just let it hang on top of, or in your overcoat).

The shorter ones (or standard size) look better over or in a suit/sports jacket.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My long scarves, I just wrap around my neck once, let it hang...I have extra extra long scarves which I can wrap twice around my neck once loose and once tight...

Chauncey Gardner

Reaction score
Your question about scarves was made so much more interesting by the tandem post of your Rome photos. Thanks.

Perhaps you'll jump over to Paris next, for nowhere are scarves more a staple of the wardrobe. In fact there's an old saying that "Every Frenchman knows 27 ways to tie a scarf."

It's true, and I've filled my notebooks with sketches of Frenchmen in their scarves, just to try to capture the overall impression they give. Figuring out exactly how they do it is something else! I know you'll enjoy wearing yours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads