• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question About Chukkas

zeero3

Reaction score
I've searched the forum for the answer to why and haven't found an answer.

The question is: What is the advantage/preference of having an unlined chukka?

I am definitely wanting to buy my first suede chukkas and I'd like to know before I make a decision. As of now I'm leaning in the Loake Kempton and AS Havant area (after hunting a lot on the forum).

Any information for the purpose of choosing unlined over leather lined would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MikeDos

Reaction score
Leatherlined tends to be a little bit more sturdy and that doesnt necessisarily mean more durable but more along the lines of stiff so it depends on your personal prefrence...

flanker2000fr

Reaction score
Unlined = lighter, more comfortable, suits warm environment

Lined = more sturdy and better suited to cold / wet environment

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both lined and unlined and the by far the Alden unlined I have are the most comfortable shoes I own. They are great for summer with no socks and feel light and very flexible. My lined chukkas are a bit more stiff and not for wearing without socks, but are good for the colder months. I suggest one of each, to give you more variety.

zeero3

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Sounds like a strictly weather-related choice. I've never worn shoes without socks, and I live in San Francisco, so that would dictate leather-lined. But getting one of each sounds good to me....

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Scroll down a bit on page 25 of the "suede shoes - post 'em here!" thread to see some Havant photos from aj_del and myself.

I'm very pleased with my Havant shoes. Had to break them in slightly, and also let my cobbler stretch them, but now they are finally comfortable and very stylish.

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
Scroll down a bit on page 25 of the "suede shoes - post 'em here!" thread to see some Havant photos from aj_del and myself.

I'm very pleased with my Havant shoes. Had to break them in slightly, and also let my cobbler stretch them, but now they are finally comfortable and very stylish.

Actually, that's where I first saw them. I love the color and overall look. How do they fit, speaking in terms of size. Did you find the exact American to English conversion to fit properly?

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeero3
Actually, that's where I first saw them. I love the color and overall look. How do they fit, speaking in terms of size. Did you find the exact American to English conversion to fit properly?

As I'm in Europe I can only refer to the UK sizes, but I can confirm some size issues with my Havant shoes. They are my second pair of quality shoes bought (this far). My first pair was C&J Westfield. As the C&J fits me great in UK 8E, I asked Pediwear if they could tell how Havant would fit in UK 8F (I think C&J E width = Alfred Sargent F width). After providing some measurements they confirmed that Havant in UK 8F should fit. However, when I got it, it was too tight. I thought though that stretching it would be easier (or cheaper?) than returning them for a size 8.5F.

Stretching them turned out to be hard, my cobbler was careful, so he had to repeat the stretching twice. Finally, after stretching and wearing them, they do fit very well now. They are comfortable, and have looked great through a very rough winter here in northern Europe. Also, quite good value for money I think.

Another experience: The second time I got a pair of Alfred Sargent was two months ago (got the Epsom Oxford, last 87 should be similar to Havant's last 89 according to Pediwear). This time I went up to UK 8.5 - which turned out to be the right choice. No need to stretch and they are not too long. Width is good. Haven't used them yet though, so I can't tell how comfortable the Epsom is.

I really recommend you to ask Pediwear (or whoever you intend to purchase from) about measurements if this is your first Alfred Sargent consideration.

Please let us know the progress!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are differences in unlined as well. For example I have Sargents which use a stiff heel counter, while I believe the Aldens don't have a heel counter at all.

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
As I'm in Europe I can only refer to the UK sizes, but I can confirm some size issues with my Havant shoes. They are my second pair of quality shoes bought (this far). My first pair was C&J Westfield. As the C&J fits me great in UK 8E, I asked Pediwear if they could tell how Havant would fit in UK 8F (I think C&J E width = Alfred Sargent F width). After providing some measurements they confirmed that Havant in UK 8F should fit. However, when I got it, it was too tight. I thought though that stretching it would be easier (or cheaper?) than returning them for a size 8.5F.

Stretching them turned out to be hard, my cobbler was careful, so he had to repeat the stretching twice. Finally, after stretching and wearing them, they do fit very well now. They are comfortable, and have looked great through a very rough winter here in northern Europe. Also, quite good value for money I think.

Another experience: The second time I got a pair of Alfred Sargent was two months ago (got the Epsom Oxford, last 87 should be similar to Havant's last 89 according to Pediwear). This time I went up to UK 8.5 - which turned out to be the right choice. No need to stretch and they are not too long. Width is good. Haven't used them yet though, so I can't tell how comfortable the Epsom is.

I really recommend you to ask Pediwear (or whoever you intend to purchase from) about measurements if this is your first Alfred Sargent consideration.

Please let us know the progress!

Thank you for your detailed response! I really do prefer the color of the AS Havant to the Loake Kempton. Hearing nothing but good things for both shoes, I am leaning towards the Havant. I'll definitely post the ones I get, and chime in on fit.... Thanks again.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered 10UK in AS Havant even though C&J Lowndes and Hallam (348) fit me well in 9.5. Grenson Rose also fits me well in 9.5.

But in my experience, I have ordered 2 chukkas in 9.5, the Tetbury and the Chiltern and found them both a little too small. I would have definitely preferred 10 in both of them over 9.5. So relying on my personal experience I ordered a 10UK in Havant rather than 9.5 which was the size I was recommended by Alfred Sargent.

Upon receiving my 10 Uk size Havants I was convinced that 10UK was the correct size for me rather than 9.5UK

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads