• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question about brown pants

Ryan1524

Reaction score
Brown's okay with green? There was a quick mention in GQ once about not doing that cause then you'll look like a tree. I think it's a bit ridicolous though, since I've done it and it looks fine to me. BR herringbone with calm sage dress shirt.

On that note, should one ever wear brown pants with brown shirt? (UPS man)
laugh.gif

First post btw. Hi everyone.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ryan1524
Brown's okay with green? There was a quick mention in GQ once about not doing that cause then you'll look like a tree. I think it's a bit ridicolous though, since I've done it and it looks fine to me. BR herringbone with calm sage dress shirt.

On that note, should one ever wear brown pants with brown shirt? (UPS man)
laugh.gif

First post btw. Hi everyone.

Brown's definitely ok with green. I don't know many people who walk into a forest full of brown trees with green leaves and say "Christ, what awful color matching!"
"Brown can't be matched with green" is one of those rules I can remember my dad telling me when I was like 7 years old and just followed unthinkingly for many years. As far as parental advice goes, it's definitely a few notches below "don't run with scissors" "don't stick a fork in the light socket".

Ryan1524

Reaction score
Here's one more thing I'd like someone's opinion on. Can I throw a dark brown sport coat on top of it? I'm talking very deep brown on the verge of black. The thing is this setup is for a supposedly very nice lounge where fashionable jeans are the bare minimum and no runners are allowed. I've seen (in pics) people go there with sport coats or straight off work with suits on. I know they always say it's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed; but I still think too much of a good thing is a bad thing - sometimes. This is the place btw C-Lounge. Anybody here from Toronto? Been to this place yet? Thx.
smile.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ryan1524
Here's one more thing I'd like someone's opinion on. Can I throw a dark brown sport coat on top of it? I'm talking very deep brown on the verge of black. The thing is this setup is for a supposedly very nice lounge where fashionable jeans are the bare minimum and no runners are allowed. I've seen (in pics) people go there with sport coats or straight off work with suits on.

Thx.
smile.gif

I wouldn't try this. I always want contrast between an odd jacket and trousers. So any shade of brown I would wear with chocolate brown corduroy trousers would be an obviously different shade.

It's like trying to match navy trousers with a navy blazer. You get it just slightly wrong and you look like a doofus who tried to construct a suit and missed (for that matter, if you should by some miracle get the match exact, you'll still look like a doofus, since the blazer is so obviously not part of a suit).

Ryan1524

Reaction score
Yea, that's exactly my concern as well. When I get home tonight I'll put them together and see if they're CLEARLY a different shade. If it's too close, I'll probly switch the pants to Grey or some dark jeans. I'm hoping I won't have to, the pants are much lighter I think in herringbone, and the jacket is very smooth deep brown. We'll see I guess. Oh yeah, the Grey trousers I have have this weird way of looking a little greenish or very very grey depending on the light. It should have No problem matching with the sage shirt, but how would it go with the jacket (and brown shoes)? edit: I just finished typing it and I have a feeling it'd be a no-no. Sorry if I ask too many questions, your help is much appreciated.
smile.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue, cream, yellow, pink - most under the rainbow that you feel comfortable wearing.

Do not feel that life needs to be governed by rules.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark brown is a favorite.
Orange is fun with dk brown, as well as pink. (as mentioned.)
I will sometimes wear some (caramel) lighter shoes with the darker pants. The contrast is abrasive, but if the shoes have a nice patina, they pair well with the softness of the cords and I think they can compliment each other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads