1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

question about brown pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lance konami, Jun 14, 2006.

1. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

I bought a pair of very dark brown corduroy pants a while back, almost like a chocolate color, but I only wore them a couple of times with a white shirt. What other colors would go with the pants? Light blue?

2. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I bought a pair of very dark brown corduroy pants a while back, almost like a chocolate color, but I only wore them a couple of times with a white shirt. What other colors would go with the pants? Light blue?

Light blue, yes. Pink. Yellow (if your skin tone can abide it). Green. Hell, almost any color, as versatile as brown pants are.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

White, blue, black, green, maybe yellow & rust (orange). That is what I can think of off the top of my head. The majority of my clothes are green, brown, black and white so those are typical of the combinations I use for my brown corduroys.

4. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

You're saying I could wear a black shirt with them?

5. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Why not? Live dangerously [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

In addition to color, fabric weight and texture should also be taken into consideration when choosing a shirt to wear with corduroy.

7. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

What color shoes work well with brown pants?

8. Vintage Gent

Um, brown.

9. Kid609

Kid609 Senior member

brown, black, and white all work

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

brown, black, and white all work

I'd skip the black shoes with brown pants.

11. Vintage Gent

I'd skip the black shoes with brown pants.

Ditto. Doesn't work for me, although the man says something about mileage and its variance.

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I like black suede shoes with brown trousers, especially corduroy, tweed and flannel. But then, my tastes run a bit dodgy.

[​IMG]

13. Charley

Charley Senior member

Tomasso,

I really do like the fabric in that lower trouser. I suppose it is some tweed weave. Great that it has some fabric interest without howling about it.

14. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

For the shoe color to pair with dark brown pants, brown and cordovan are the best options. A light-colored shoe (even in a shade of brown) might be risky.

15. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Sure, under the right circumstances you can wear a black shirt with a dark brown suit. Black calf shoes are nice with chocolate brown wool and even corduroy because it emphasizes the richness of the brown.

16. Ryan1524

Ryan1524 New Member

Brown's okay with green? There was a quick mention in GQ once about not doing that cause then you'll look like a tree. I think it's a bit ridicolous though, since I've done it and it looks fine to me. BR herringbone with calm sage dress shirt.

On that note, should one ever wear brown pants with brown shirt? (UPS man) [​IMG]

First post btw. Hi everyone.

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Brown's okay with green? There was a quick mention in GQ once about not doing that cause then you'll look like a tree. I think it's a bit ridicolous though, since I've done it and it looks fine to me. BR herringbone with calm sage dress shirt.

On that note, should one ever wear brown pants with brown shirt? (UPS man) [​IMG]

First post btw. Hi everyone.

Brown's definitely ok with green. I don't know many people who walk into a forest full of brown trees with green leaves and say "Christ, what awful color matching!"
    "Brown can't be matched with green" is one of those rules I can remember my dad telling me when I was like 7 years old and just followed unthinkingly for many years. As far as parental advice goes, it's definitely a few notches below "don't run with scissors" "don't stick a fork in the light socket".

18. Ryan1524

Ryan1524 New Member

Here's one more thing I'd like someone's opinion on. Can I throw a dark brown sport coat on top of it? I'm talking very deep brown on the verge of black. The thing is this setup is for a supposedly very nice lounge where fashionable jeans are the bare minimum and no runners are allowed. I've seen (in pics) people go there with sport coats or straight off work with suits on. I know they always say it's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed; but I still think too much of a good thing is a bad thing - sometimes. This is the place btw C-Lounge. Anybody here from Toronto? Been to this place yet? Thx. [​IMG]

19. thinman

thinman Senior member

Here's one more thing I'd like someone's opinion on. Can I throw a dark brown sport coat on top of it? I'm talking very deep brown on the verge of black. The thing is this setup is for a supposedly very nice lounge where fashionable jeans are the bare minimum and no runners are allowed. I've seen (in pics) people go there with sport coats or straight off work with suits on.

Thx. [​IMG]

I wouldn't try this. I always want contrast between an odd jacket and trousers. So any shade of brown I would wear with chocolate brown corduroy trousers would be an obviously different shade.

It's like trying to match navy trousers with a navy blazer. You get it just slightly wrong and you look like a doofus who tried to construct a suit and missed (for that matter, if you should by some miracle get the match exact, you'll still look like a doofus, since the blazer is so obviously not part of a suit).

20. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

thinman's advice seconded.