• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quasimodo shoulder - A question for those with some tailoring knowledge

CutandSew

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a sports jacket from fleabay and when I received it today I noticed that the shoulders were unbalanced. The left shoulder had waaayyy more padding than the right shoulder which itself was lightly padded and natural. When I wear the jacket, I do notice how unbalanced and 'humpy' my left shoulder looks. Can this be fixed relatively cheaply? After inspecting the lining at the shoulders, it looks like the left shoulder may have had padding added to it to cover up the previous wearer's droopy shoulder. The seller said he never tried on the jacket and did not notice the difference in padding when taking measurements therefore he didn't know about this issue and is in no way responsible, which he is not, I guess, but I do feel like I'm getting the short end here. This jacket cost me less than $100 so i feel like I'm losing out on the shipping both ways too if I were to return it. What should I do???

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a sports jacket from fleabay and when I received it today I noticed that the shoulders were unbalanced. The left shoulder had waaayyy more padding than the right shoulder which itself was lightly padded and natural. When I wear the jacket, I do notice how unbalanced and 'humpy' my left shoulder looks. Can this be fixed relatively cheaply? After inspecting the lining at the shoulders, it looks like the left shoulder may have had padding added to it to cover up the previous wearer's droopy shoulder. The seller said he never tried on the jacket and did not notice the difference in padding when taking measurements therefore he didn't know about this issue and is in no way responsible, which he is not, I guess, but I do feel like I'm getting the short end here. This jacket cost me less than $100 so i feel like I'm losing out on the shipping both ways too if I were to return it. What should I do???

It sounds like you bought a used, custom jacket on ebay... I'd suggest not doing so next time. That is pretty funny though; can we see pics?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not magic- just whip out some scissors and cut the padding out. I've done it to several cheaper jackets I have.

CutandSew

Reaction score

It's not magic- just whip out some scissors and cut the padding out. I've done it to several cheaper jackets I have.

Well, I'd have to open up the sleeve lining or remove the sleeve to be able to get at the shoulder pads. It's definitely not an easy task. :(

The jacket is Made in Italy Polo Ralph Lauren and I don't think they do MTM, or any custom work, but I could be wrong. I might post pics of it later for everyone to see after I go and ask a tailor to see what he can do and how much it will cost. The seller is basically taking no responsibility for it because he didn't notice it. He'll take it back though, but at my cost so I'm not too thrilled about since I live in a different country.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I'd have to open up the sleeve lining or remove the sleeve to be able to get at the shoulder pads. It's definitely not an easy task. :(
The jacket is Made in Italy Polo Ralph Lauren and I don't think they do MTM, or any custom work, but I could be wrong. I might post pics of it later for everyone to see after I go and ask a tailor to see what he can do and how much it will cost. The seller is basically taking no responsibility for it because he didn't notice it. He'll take it back though, but at my cost so I'm not too thrilled about since I live in a different country.

They do MTM... and I'm sure a tailor could have done it after the fact as well.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
I would guess the previous owner just had a tailor add in extra padding - quite common. If a tailor put it in, a tailor can take it out.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try removing the excess padding and see if it can be made to look tolerable. Scissors will help. You may have to sew up the damage.

It will never be wonderful but might work.

Then resolve not to buy second hand clothes again,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics