• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wingtip77

Reaction score
They do make a massive deal of their Britishness, yet about 90% of their output is made overseas.

The shoes look fine, but I see them more as a fashion brand than a 'proper' shoe maker.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
This is a great thread. It seems slightly confused though. Taking any sub £300 shoe from the northamptonshire brands there will be some offshore elements. Several of the Northants brands arent as transparent & have all their uppers stitched in India with a sole being attached here then using the made in England flag. Grenson seem open to me on their site. They have an imported range & a UK premium range. I purchased a pair of the Fred Triple Welt in a country grain style leather for my wedding. They were just over £400 & I can safely say are one of the finest made boots I own. They aren't the price off John Lobb or Crockett & Jones but there are big price differences between these brands. After buying these, I'll 100% be buying more!
I have a Fred triple welt boot in Burnished Pine and have to say I often take them out of the closet just to look at them! Easily as well built as Trickers etc.

The 2 range I bought for my wife at Xmas (bit of a joke gift as I’m shoe obsessed!), and they aren’t all that to be fair. Agree they are fully transparent about the origins of these but the quality isn’t deserving of the brand or even lower price in my opinion.

Shoeman123

Reaction score
They do make a massive deal of their Britishness, yet about 90% of their output is made overseas.

The shoes look fine, but I see them more as a fashion brand than a 'proper' shoe maker.

I think that is probably where they want to be. Did you here the Radio 5 Live broadcast this week from their factory? I thought it was interesting as they interviewed the owner & factory workers. The owner said something along the lines of not wanting to be a museum brand. I quite like the stuff they have done with New Balance & other sneakers too. Nice too see the traditional craft being kept alive & adapting to shifting demand & trends. I guess there is probably a limited market for £400 upwards footwear, making it harder to run a business solely manufacturing in the UK where they mentioned in tge radio 5 piece, we have no tanneries & expensive overheads. I fear over the next years with the political world this could get worse.

Last edited:

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that is probably where they want to be. Did you here the Radio 5 Live broadcast this week from their factory? I thought it was interesting as they interviewed the owner & factory workers. The owner said something along the lines of not wanting to be a museum brand. I quite like the stuff they have done with New Balance & other sneakers too. Nice too see the traditional craft being kept alive & adapting to shifting demand & trends. I guess there is probably a limited market for £400 upwards footwear, making it harder to run a business solely manufacturing in the UK where they mentioned in tge radio 5 piece, we have no tanneries & expensive overheads. I fear over the next years with the political world this could get worse.

agreed......well said.....I bet they have raised revenue as well w/ this hipster ish line

If I see the shoes for 200 usd or under I go for them..............there isnt much here in the US under 200 at all!.....its mostly crap at that price point....siiiigh

Shoeman123

Reaction score
agreed......well said.....I bet they have raised revenue as well w/ this hipster ish line

If I see the shoes for 200 usd or under I go for them..............there isnt much here in the US under 200 at all!.....its mostly crap at that price point....siiiigh

I guess that is only Grenson in sale too maybe?

I like them as a brand. They have something for all price points & are keeping fresh with design. I see they do a complete made in england custom service with your own lasts made too. I called & this starts from £1k... would love my own lasts & designed shoes but maybe need to save a while first!!

Dembowski

Reaction score
First Grensons in the collection - mainly due to Russian Hatch Gain. When will arrive I will make some comparison to Trickers, Cheaney, C&J and AS
fred_111773_print_threequarter.jpg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thelonius

Reaction score
The only good shoes being produced by Grenson are their Ground Zero range. Everything else is substandard.The Ground Zero range it is claimed is made entirely in the Northants factory. Someone back a few posts compared their leather to Trickers. Sorry folks, the comparison is above all unfavourable. Take some time to see how Trickers sources its leathers. Any other shoes by Grenson not made in Northants are likely to be crap in terms of leather quality and sewing. But there again, if you're all happy with wearing crap that's fine. And after all, we're just talking about Goodyear welting, not the finer craft.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads