• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Alcohol for 21st Birthday.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Someone else posted along the lines of what to drink on their 21st, it being their first time drinking... My 21st is on the way in March and I'm looking for something more exclusive to get me Chevy Chased, but I'm not new to drinking however, Stone Brewery is right up the road so they've been a good friend, as has Jack and many others. But if you had to choose something nice (not some extravagant Glenfidditch or Macallan, though I wish) like Sam Adams Utopia - what would it be? Open to all, but never a fan of Vodka... Spend around 100-150 price range...

If I can find it I think I'll do Utopia, but I think its going to be a struggle to find.

The whole idea of Utopia and its promotion ("strongest beer in the world" blah blah blah") makes it seem that it is a bragging rights beverage (aka mine is bigger than yours) rather than something that is remotely worth the ridiculous price. But I digress.

Originally Posted by hi-val
...... Unless you are planning to have a party with this expensive hooch, you'll have a much more enjoyable time taking some friends to a nice bar and picking up the tab on some truly nice cocktails.

Much better idea.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Since you're obviously into craft beer, you could splurge on some delicious Belgian beers like Westvleteren 12 or anything by Cantillon. Shouldn't set you back more than 15-20$ a bottle so you can sample a few on that budget.

I haven't tried it, but I hear that Sam Adams Utopias is much overrated.

Originally Posted by skalogre
The whole idea of Utopia and its promotion ("strongest beer in the world" blah blah blah") makes it seem that it is a bragging rights beverage (aka mine is bigger than yours) rather than something that is remotely worth the ridiculous price. But I digress.

Yea I've never tried it either, I'll admit I'm pretty much about Utopia from the 'hype' factor so perhaps not the best choice, particularly for the price.

JohnnyLaw I think you may be on the right track, a good beer has always been my favorite and I've heard good things about Cantillon etc...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Drambuie.

Evil
devil.gif

I remember on a cruise when i was 19 and they were giving free liquor samples i had a sample of drambuie. Boy was i not expecting it.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Enjoy it. Try some gin or whiskey. Enjoy it because you won't pay for anything that night.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WorkingTitle
Black Label Whiskey. The good stuff.

Black is great.

I'd recommend gold, but it's so expensive (we jacked it from my friend's parents cabinet :p)

Some Japanese Whiskeys are good (@ 43%)

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Label (Johnnie Walker, I presuem) is great, but it's not a splurge. I second the rec. for Macallan 18. Grand Marnier Centenaire is also great in that range, as is Pierre Ferrande Selectione for a superb Cognac.

Best,
Huntsman

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For under 50$ (and a bit of searching) you should be able to get a beer from each of the 7 Trappist breweries. That would definitely be a memorable night.

Also, I remember trying the Boon Gueuze in Belgium a few years ago and it was spectacular. Cantillon lambics are extremely sharp so if you're not familiar with the style, you may want to have some open-minded friends over to share the bottle.

Surfrider

Reaction score
....Tanqueray Ten is a very good gin....If you like tequila, I'm sure Patron will be fine.

++

If we're talking distilled spirits, I'm a fan of: Tanqueray No. 10, Patron Silver, Ultimat and Chopin. I enjoy Le Due Sorelle grappa, and Navan cognac (go figure) with cigars.

As for wines, I'm a huge fan of Italian wines. Notarpanaro Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, a good prosecco (no favorite here), or any number of good Chianti Colli Senesi make me happy.

Beer? Sorry, Guinness/Bass B&T is all I need. Maybe some Chimay if I feel like getting a little crazy. When I am in the right part of the world, I do like a good cold Heidelberger. But, unfortunately, I don't think that's an option for you.
frown.gif

Happy birthday, sir.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It has the distinction of being very smooth but quite strong.

Really? I thought it was 80pf. I enjoy the stuff, though typically as a Rusty Nail (with JW Black).

Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
For under 50$ (and a bit of searching) you should be able to get a beer from each of the 7 Trappist breweries. That would definitely be a memorable night.

I have often thought, that for all they've given us, I should hug a monk. Monks rule!

~ Huntsman

hi-val

Reaction score
The best monk-made beverage ever is Chartreuse. I never thought grass clippings would ever taste that good. I love the stuff.

It gets one right knackered too.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Really? I thought it was 80pf. I enjoy the stuff, though typically as a Rusty Nail (with JW Black). I have often thought, that for all they've given us, I should hug a monk. Monks rule! ~ Huntsman
It's rather potent on its own, but goes down quite well, and is very refined. It doesn't seem to be a very popular drink alone as it were though.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best monk-made beverage ever is Chartreuse. I never thought grass clippings would ever taste that good. I love the stuff.

It gets one right knackered too.

Chartreuse, the only liqueur so good they named a color after it.

chang

Reaction score
Irish trash cans. The most disgusting beverage ever created, but since it's your 21st birthday, I'm sure everyone will forgive you for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads